IGNORED

Facebook Friends with Fundies?

luv2laugh

I've been curious about this lately. I've always wondered how some people on here get information from Fundies besides what is shown on most of their blogs. Is anyone facebook friends with them?

I'm not facebook friends with any, but I've been known to look up their public pages and see what's available. It's actually how I know when facebook has changed things about their privacy policies. :P For example, in the last week or so they seem to have tweaked some things so that photo albums that have not been specifically made private are now visible again (they must have done away with the blanket "don't show any of my pics" setting). So more photo albums are visible again, but I haven't found anything terribly interesting yet.

Lina and TT seem to accept friend requests from everyone. They started their joint FB page a few weeks ago and now have over 800 friends (AJ n Paulina). I don't care to be their friend though.

I briefly had Crystal Paine as a Facebook friend, hoping to find out more about her new Lite lifestyle, but when I realized that all her updates were just a feed from the Money Saving Mom blog, I deleted her. She's no longer really interesting to snark on.

My sister is a fundie and I do not have her or her grown kids(who requested FB friendship)on my FB.

I do have a FB friend(friend from childhood) who is very involved in the Church of the Nazarene. She had stage 4 colon cancer a few years and is now cancer free,which she credit to God of course.(she grew up Catholic, so I assume this religion came on when the illness did) She is always posting videos from worship at her church(which seems to have the rock band and "cool pastor who wears jeans" thing going on.

Not a chance. Not for me, anyway. I keep my Facebook part of my 'real' life, as in, among my Facebook friends are my mother, my nieces, my aunts, cousins...no way would I bring a fundie into that life/world. By friending them to see their stuff, they can see yours. No thanks. I have no need to know about fundies that surpasses my need to keep my life private.

I do have some friends who are probably fundie-lite. But, they're people I actually know who happen to be religious.

I have a few, because IRL I travel in all circles, and have all kinds of friend, many of whom I do disagree with on huge issues but we get along OK anyway. I had Dawn/Plain Girl on my friend's list until she dropped FB, and I actually worked with Crystal Paine years ago so I have her on. It's not to get interesting details about their lives, though. It's because we have some point of relatability.

I think this is kind of creepy, honestly. Especially "Friending" the minor children of the fundies you stalk.

Who is friending minor children? I have never heard of anyone on here doing that and as far as I am aware none of the fundie kids are allowed facebook.

Nope. Not anymore at least. I did think about putting J.and A on my facebook a long time ago but didn't. I probably will stay as far from the fundies on there as I can.

I'm friends with Ted Haggard, but he rarely writes anything interesting. And we never discuss him here anyway, but I find him very fascinating. :)

I have one fundy on my Friends list, my uncle. He is always posting weird religious crap on his wall, but I never reply to it. I figure we are even, cause I post all kinds of liberal, gay, agnostic stuff on my wall. LOL He only commented once on something I posted, so I do know he reads it. He thinks I'm lost anyway, cause I used to be a Catholic priest and I'm gay.

I have one fundy on my Friends list, my uncle. He is always posting weird religious crap on his wall, but I never reply to it. I figure we are even, cause I post all kinds of liberal, gay, agnostic stuff on my wall. LOL He only commented once on something I posted, so I do know he reads it. He thinks I'm lost anyway, cause I used to be a Catholic priest and I'm gay.

You must have great fun living so near the Westboro Baptist Church....

I have one or two fundie medium/fundie lite friends (no one that gets discussed here) that I came into contact with for different reasons and whom I genuinely like, as much as I may disagree with their religion and ideology.

I have fundies who I actually know on Facebook, but no one really famous, though there are a few who have been on the Duggars' show and discussed briefly here. I think it would be weird to friend people I don't know.

At least one person who has posted in this thread.

I've scanned through the thread and either you're talking about fundies that I don't know about, or... I don't see any mention of fundie minors. Beyond that, I've never seen a fundie minor on facebook.

Nobody we snark on here, but I have a lot of fundie friends from church & other things. I'm also on a few private boards & email lists and have corresponded with a couple bloggers we talk about sometimes. That said, I wouldn't share anything from emails, private FB walls, or private forums on here or somewhere else public because that would just be tacky and it seems like a betrayal of friendship.

I've scanned through the thread and either you're talking about fundies that I don't know about, or... I don't see any mention of fundie minors. Beyond that, I've never seen a fundie minor on facebook.

Yeah, seriously. What are you talking about? No one mentioned anything on this thread about friending minor children. If you're claiming knowledge aside from what people have said, stop being so circumspect and just say what you think you know.

I don't think it's "creepy" to look at fundies public facebook pages. I figure it's for public consumption, like a blog, otherwise they'd hit that nifty "private" button. I'm not friends with any, but if they are linked here I will read it.

Guest Anonymous

My sister has some very "fundie lite" friends as her facebook friends. My sis is a Christian but not a fundie but some of her church friends kinda are in a way. They homeschool, wear modest clothes, don't believe in birth control etc..Anyway, she let me browse around her facebook page one day while I was at her house and I noticed a friend of hers had some Generation Cedar linked posts on her facebook page totally agreeing with everything Kelly wrote. Another scary post from another friend of my sis's who was asking opinions on a specific birth control and these "christian" friends of hers totally came down on her about using anything at all saying the pill is a form of abortion and that she should try the natural family planning method because that's what THEY do and so it must be right. UGH. Can't believe my sister is friends with these women. She works, kids go to public school and she had her tubes tied (gasp!) after only her second kid!

Archived