IGNORED

FamTeam Update

JenniferJuniper

45 minutes ago, gustava said:

The reason I think that Cathy is deeply complicit is the birthday photos of the kidult males in the parental bedroom with Cathy's hand across the stomach of the b'day boy.  Creepy.

I think it would definitely require the commitment of both parents to pull off this massive mindfuck.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, JenniferJuniper said:

I'm not so sure it's all or even mostly Cathy's doing.  I came across this very old (2002) diary entry from Rick around the time they were building the new house.

I see the land as a God-given location in which this full team of boys and young men (as well as Mary-Elizabeth) can live out their lives together, building themselves, by the power of the Holy Spirit, into the individuals whom God has created them to become, in every dimension 

My bold, but it's creepy to think the oldest was only about 21 at the time he posted this, yet he was thinking already about them living the entire rest of their lives together on the homestead.

I'm not sure what to make of the fact that Mary is in parentheses. 

That is just creepy. Keeping the sons at home for life seems to always have been the goal.

Personally, I think Wizzy is a bit of an afterthought to Rick and Cathy. It's the sons they care more about. 

6 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

That is just creepy. Keeping the sons at home for life seems to always have been the goal.

Personally, I think Wizzy is a bit of an afterthought to Rick and Cathy. It's the sons they care more about. 

Despite the local media attention when Mary was born, I really think they would have preferred to have had 14 straight sons. Both of them have said they dreamed of having many sons when they first married.

They had a stillborn son as well, sometime in the '80's; the first Peter (heaven forbid they not reuse the name later).

Their property is large, but in some photos you can see nearby neighbors' homes. The idea that they have planned all along to keep the sons at home, living together for the rest of their lives is just too freaky to comprehend.

Material for a very creepy novel that gets made into an even creepier movie.  And "Safe At Home" is a perfect title.

57 minutes ago, Kelsey said:

This family is just so creepy. I don't understand how the "boys" haven't wanted to find a mate.

They might have.  I'll guess penguin.

Well, I should had known better.  The trip to NY has been postponed to the weekend due to weather conditions.  (not enough snow just yet there), however, several inches are expected in their area which will allow some extremely critical VV scenes to be shot.  I'm surprised that one of the Man Boys has not invented a snow-making machine yet.   I wonder if Rick realizes that the majority of winter and snow scenes on film are special effects....

6 hours ago, Kelsey said:

This family is just so creepy. I don't understand how the "boys" haven't wanted to find a mate.

I can't figure that out either. I thought by now at least one or more would be married. 

12 hours ago, JenniferJuniper said:

I think it would definitely require the commitment of both parents to pull off this massive mindfuck.

IME it takes both parents.   There's no way it can be achieved if one parent wants to keep the kids at home while the other disagrees.    And especially with 14 kids, there must be a unified front.

10 hours ago, JenniferJuniper said:

Despite the local media attention when Mary was born, I really think they would have preferred to have had 14 straight sons. Both of them have said they dreamed of having many sons when they first married.

They had a stillborn son as well, sometime in the '80's; the first Peter (heaven forbid they not reuse the name later).

Their property is large, but in some photos you can see nearby neighbors' homes. The idea that they have planned all along to keep the sons at home, living together for the rest of their lives is just too freaky to comprehend.

Material for a very creepy novel that gets made into an even creepier movie.  And "Safe At Home" is a perfect title.

Did not know that. I'm guessing that was between Luke and Jude? Because there's an over 2 year gap between them, which, in that time period, was unusual for Cathy. 

The baby was definitely named Peter? Because Luke's middle name is Peter and Jude's second first name is Peter. That's seriously just creepy. 

The more I learn about this family, the creepier they get. 

1 hour ago, anjulibai said:

It's a winding road of creepy, that's for sure. Welcome to the Arndt zone....

27 minutes ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

It's a winding road of creepy, that's for sure. Welcome to the Arndt zone....

I can't help but think that it's keeping all the Princess Charmings away.  

2 hours ago, anjulibai said:

Did not know that. I'm guessing that was between Luke and Jude? Because there's an over 2 year gap between them, which, in that time period, was unusual for Cathy. 

The baby was definitely named Peter? Because Luke's middle name is Peter and Jude's second first name is Peter. That's seriously just creepy. 

And of course there is the second to last son with the first name of Peter.  The stillborn Peter was Peter Michael to be precise, and I think you are right, the baby was born/died about a year before Jude was born.

Cathy had a number of miscarriages as well, but I don't think they were named.

23 minutes ago, JenniferJuniper said:

And of course there is the second to last son with the first name of Peter.  The stillborn Peter was Peter Michael to be precise, and I think you are right, the baby was born/died about a year before Jude was born.

Cathy had a number of miscarriages as well, but I don't think they were named.

I believe Cathy had at least one miscarriage after the youngest was born? Like in 2005/2006?

Considering how pro-life they are, I'm kind of surprised they don't mention the stillbirth and miscarriages on the blog more often. 

36 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Considering how pro-life they are, I'm kind of surprised they don't mention the stillbirth and miscarriages on the blog more often. 

Back in 2000-2001 they had a separate section on their website with images of babies in the womb and description of partial birth abortions.   Rick mentions on his blog.

3 hours ago, nokidsmom said:

I can't help but think that it's keeping all the Princess Charmings away.  

If any of the boys EVER brought a young woman home to meet the clan, I have to imagine she would be scared off.  There is no way a sane, ordinary woman could be introduced to a family where all 14 of the children up to age 35 are still living at home and not be taken aback.  What explanation could possibly be given?  "Oh don't mind my family, we are all stay-at-homes and enjoy each others company."  A prospective bride would run screaming for the hills.

4 minutes ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

If any of the boys EVER brought a young woman home to meet the clan, I have to imagine she would be scared off.  There is no way a sane, ordinary woman could be introduced to a family where all 14 of the children up to age 35 are still living at home and not be taken aback.  What explanation could possibly be given?  "Oh don't mind my family, we are all stay-at-homes and enjoy each others company."  A prospective bride would run screaming for the hills.

Not if she were an arrow in a patriarch's quiver. She would find it totally normal and a blessing to find such a godly young man who obeyed the Lord and respected his father's authority. A Duggar daughter, a Maxwell daughter-I think the Arndts would be too worldly for them, but the fact that the manboys were all still safe at home would not be an issue.

I disagree.  I think even a confirmed daughter of the Patriarchy would be overwhelmed-- plus she would think it weird to see so many eligible young men unmarried. One or two, sure that is possible, but ALL of them?

7 minutes ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

Exactly this.  Back when I was single, I tried to be open minded about my boyfriends' family situations, trying to understand that  families are different and just because it was different from mine didn't necessarily mean there was anything wrong.  But this situation would have red flags all over the place in spite of all the seemingly harmless, smiling faces happy to be "safe at home"

2 minutes ago, nokidsmom said:

Exactly this.  Back when I was single, I tried to be open minded about my boyfriends' family situations, trying to understand that  families are different and just because it was different from mine didn't necessarily mean there was anything wrong.  But this situation would have red flags all over the place in spite of all the seemingly harmless, smiling faces happy to be "safe at home"

Indeed, the Arndt's have achieved a level of creepiness far exceeding ANYTHING any fiction writer could dream up!  Reality is truly stranger than fiction.  :pb_surprised:

15 minutes ago, nokidsmom said:

My mother always said there is someone for everyone, and I suppose that's true.  There might be a woman or two out there who wouldn't mind being a part of that very strange bunch.  But that's only half of the equation.  If there are any available and willing partners out there, there's every chance that they won't pass muster with Cathy and Rick.

And then there's the economics.  At this point it's very possible that Rick has become so accustomed to his sons supporting him -  either financially or with their Vine Valley labors - that he doesn't like the idea of his sons supporting their own families.

Normally I wouldn't feel sorry for 30 something year old men who can't get their shit together, but most of these guys are so likable and so screwed over,  I can't help it. 

I thought a couple of the older boys had mentioned wanting to marry, several years ago on their blog/comments-- or Dad had mentioned it in some long winded and long and winding drive?

I can't remember.

I had come across an entry in Rick's diary from back in the early 2000's where he talks about a turtle he once found along side of the road.  He brought it home and kept it in the back yard.  I can't find the exact entry right now so I don't have all the details, but the turtle ended up escaping and was run over by a car.  He talked about how he didn't instill enough "tough love" on the turtle like he does with his boys and the turtle decided to stray ultimately being killed.  This gives a glimpse into his warped mind.  I really think he's crazy.  It does take both parents to pull this kind of situation off.  Perhaps it's just coincidence that two people of equal craziness met and married.  There must be some extended family that has concerns about them.  I can guess that since there hasn't been any physical harm done, then they just stay out of it.  

2 minutes ago, MatthewDuggar said:

He talked about how he didn't instill enough "tough love" on the turtle like he does with his boys and the turtle decided to stray ultimately being killed.  

:huh:   :confused2:

I honestly hope you're remembering that diary entry wrong, because that's a level of WTF far beyond what I ever imagined.

On February 23, 2016 at 0:35 AM, Ursula said:

DICK Arndt, April 1st 1956 (59)

Cathy Arndt, January 21st 1960 (56)

Paul-Matthew Joseph Arndt, September 13th 1980 (35)

John-Andrew Michael Arndt, April 2nd 1982 (33)

Mark-David Timothy Arndt, July 29th 1983 (32)

Luke-Joseph Peter Arndt, February 8th 1985 (31)

Jude-Peter Matthew Arndt, March 23rd 1987 (28)

James-Michael Philip Arndt, September 19th 1988 (27)

Philip-Thomas Luke Arndt, May 15th 1990 (25)

Seth-Benjamin Mark Arndt, December 25th 1991 (24)

Jacob-Timothy John Arndt, August 27th 1993 (22)

Nathan-Stephen Paul Arndt, April 16th 1995 (20)

Mary-Elizabeth Anne Arndt, January 5th 1997 (19)

Caleb-Nicholas David Arndt, November 1st 1998 (17)

Peter-John Benjamin Arndt, July 26th 2000 (15)

David-Paul Andrew Arndt, January 21st 2003 (13)

@Ursula and @salex, wonderful reference material! Thank you. 

Tried to think of my 4 who are in their 30s living here, even if "here" we're a huge house. Plus five 20-somethings and five more under 21?

My question is "why?" What does it fulfill in DICK & Cathy to have ALL those wheels spinning in place?

i told the story before of the fellow I went out with for a while whose mother and father kept him and his brother at home into their 50s.  And after buying both guys Ivy League degrees, srsly!  But that was TWO. Fourteen?! The mind reels.. 

Archived