IGNORED

Apparently Episcopalians Are Not the Right Kind Of Christian

kpmom

I have a feeling that all of us "other" Christians that are not the brand of Gothard/fundy royalty are not seen as anything but sinners. Even evangelicals that are not Gothard/vision forum can have a sense of arrogance that I find nasty.

Growing up, adults I knew would refer to them as the whiskey-palians. lol

A man ran through a crowded train looking very agitated, calling out, "Is there a Catholic priest on board?"

When he got no reply, he ran back up the train shouting, "Is there an Anglican priest on board?" Still no reply.

By now becoming more desparate, he ran down the train shouting, "Is there a Rabbi on board?"

Eventually, a gentleman stood up and said, "Can I be of any assistance, my friend? I'm a Methodist minister."

The man looked at him and said, "No, you're no bloody good. I need a corkscrew!"

Forgive the slightly off-topic;

MJB, are Episcopalians and Lutherans "in communion" with each other? I thought I remember hearing or reading that.

**elbows way in** Though I know MJB will have more and better info, the short answer is yes. This happened, what, ten years ago? It is a source of some minor irritation to some of my fellow Lutherans, because now when our bishops are installed, we have to have an Episcopal bishop in on it so as to continue the apostolic succession from St. Peter. (This was never the big deal to the Lutherans that it was to the Episcopalians.) I know MJB can give a more informed explanation. :)

Not that this was the most important part of this thread, but I thought I'd mention that the interfaith prayer vigil that was scheduled to be held at the National Cathedral has now been moved to the Washington Hebrew Congregation. Many of the other 9/11 events have been moved to the Kennedy Center. The Cathedral was damaged during the earthquake a few weeks ago, and yesterday a crane working on the building fell over, damaging some of the outbuildings. That seems to have been the final straw prompting the move.

Apparently the ELCA is in communion with Unitarian Universalists...A couple of weeks ago, our friend was playing at a Blues service of an ELCA church. They were very nice, and when it came time to introduce people all eyes turned toward myself and my two sons, as we were the only visitors. (hey, 9 a.m.) So our friend made a very nice introduction which included that we are UUs. When it came time for communion, I told my sons they could cross their arms in front of themselves if they wanted a blessing, but they couldn't take communion because they weren't baptized. (I doubt the priest would have cared.) Again, expectant looks...it was quite sweet. (We didn't say the creed either of course. And thread crossover someone in another thread referred to UUs as a Christian denomination. We aren't. The roots are in Christianity, but it isn't a Christian denomination anymore. It is its own weird thing.)

And back on track sort of - around here at least, LDS do not participate in interfaith groups at all. Or even inter-Christian groups. I guess because they are the real Christians with the restored truth. (and around here, a Jewish Temple and the Mosque together house the homeless during Christmas and Easter so the Christians don't have to. Pretty cool!)

The priest at my church told me that technically you're supposed to be a baptized Christian to take Communion, but in practice, he doesn't care much. It's not like they're going to start quizzing people at the railing to see if they qualify! I'm not an actual member as of yet but down the road? Quite possibly. I got invited to be in the choir and finally gave and showed up in early May, and I can't describe how much I love singing in a choir, so there I am. I'm short enough they had to get a set of robes hemmed up for me. I think I'm stuck now. Besides, Father Ken is awesome. :)

I know that by fundie standards that we're not Christian in any way shape or form. Their loss!

I have every intention of dying in the bosom of the Episcopal church, where, by the way, I will get the same service as the Queen of England, should I (or my survivors) want it. They are, by and large, the most FUNCTIONAL Christians I have ever met.

Walking to the coffee cafe this morning I passed my church with it's HUGE rainbow banner draped across the steeple and thought to myelf that I guess the fund-Christians wouldn't want us their either. How sad.

The priest at my church told me that technically you're supposed to be a baptized Christian to take Communion, but in practice, he doesn't care much. It's not like they're going to start quizzing people at the railing to see if they qualify! I'm not an actual member as of yet but down the road? Quite possibly. I got invited to be in the choir and finally gave and showed up in early May, and I can't describe how much I love singing in a choir, so there I am. I'm short enough they had to get a set of robes hemmed up for me. I think I'm stuck now. Besides, Father Ken is awesome. :)

I know that by fundie standards that we're not Christian in any way shape or form. Their loss!

I'm United Methodist and we have Open Table. Communion is open to "anyone who wishes." The pastor says this every time.

It's so different from what I grew up with. I love it.

I've been a lurker for a year now on the old board and I am sorry for not saying hi sooner :D hello everyone! You all make my day every Saturday when I check this board for some good laughs

I had to post because this is a subject near and dear to my heart. I'm an Episcopalian and I know Fundies cannot stand us. I didn't know that until I went away to College and encountered a group of fundies for myself ofcourse. I'm sure many of you have encountered similar prejudices from fundies yourselves (regardless of what your background and religious beliefs are). But from my many encounters with them I can sum up the reasons Fundies hate Episcopalians for you all:

1. Women can be Ministers (Lord have Mercy, and she went to college TOO?)

2. Most of the Episcopalian community support Same Sex Marriage. (My minister is married to her wife for 10 years and they are lovely people)

3. We don't do the guilt trip stuff

4. Jesus Christ is love... not hatred and fear (Candy would be slapping me upside the head right now if she saw me...Comet Elenin is a comin for me!)

5. Judging is a big no no...it's not for you and I to tell someone they are wrong, that's between them and God... but it's okay to laugh a little at them(I'm looking at you Lina)

6. We are not against alcohol consumption (...ofcourse in a err responsible...err manner ;) )

7. Charity... not just prayer, is how we help people...and no I don't mean hosting anti-abortion pow wows for your group of Ladies Against Feminism...I mean get in the mud and build a house kinda charity.

8. Courtship makes us laugh...ladies you can go to a coffee shop with a man and not risk your virtue...shocking I know.

9. Only older children- teenagers take communion and are confirmed when they are ready and accept Jesus and God into their lives. This is a no pressure course for them to take and they can do it over time or in a shorter period if they feel they are ready. That's the key...when they are ready.

10. Obviously we don't promote pre-marital sex but if a young unmarried woman gets pregnant, we don't chastize her for the rest of her life..she has enough on her plate and is well aware of how difficult her life is going to be! We don't sit around and blast her over our fundie blogs either! Sheesh.

11. We are absolutely fine with interfaith marriage...noone needs to convert!

Anyway... hi again everyone! Looking forward to talking with you all in the future. :D

They are, by and large, the most FUNCTIONAL Christians I have ever met.

This is one of the best descriptions of Episcopalianism I've ever read. In fact, the Episcopal Church ought to start using it in an advertising campaign. "Episcopalianism: Functional Christianity." Also, I'm passing the joke about four Episcopalians and a fifth onto my family. Heh.

It's funny; I'm no longer Christian, but I discussed at length with my converting rabbi why, in spite of some of the heartburn I've had over switching religions (and, more to the point, that my mother has had), if I was going to be raised Christian, I'm glad it was in the Episcopal Church. At least I don't have a passel of family members who think I'm now destined for the fires of Hell, I grew up in an environment where egalitarianism was taken for granted, women were allowed in positions of leadership, but tradition was still honored and given a seat at the table. I don't think I'd be a Conservative Jew now if I hadn't grown up Episcopal. And when Jewish friends of mine who were raised in heavily Jewish communities and haven't had much exposure to Christians outside of crazy evangelists make comments about how, "They all think we're going to Hell, anyway," it's nice to be in a position to say, "My whole family's Christian, and they don't think that at all," and point out that the loudest voices aren't always the ones that speak for the majority. Personally, I think Episcopalianism is a credit to Christianity (this goes for most of the other, mainline denominations, as well, but the Episcopal Church is what I know best, so...).

Apparently the ELCA is in communion with Unitarian Universalists...A couple of weeks ago, our friend was playing at a Blues service of an ELCA church. They were very nice, and when it came time to introduce people all eyes turned toward myself and my two sons, as we were the only visitors. (hey, 9 a.m.) So our friend made a very nice introduction which included that we are UUs. When it came time for communion, I told my sons they could cross their arms in front of themselves if they wanted a blessing, but they couldn't take communion because they weren't baptized. (I doubt the priest would have cared.) Again, expectant looks...it was quite sweet. (We didn't say the creed either of course. And thread crossover someone in another thread referred to UUs as a Christian denomination. We aren't. The roots are in Christianity, but it isn't a Christian denomination anymore. It is its own weird thing.)

No, the ELCA is not in full communion with the UU. Church bodies being in "full communion" means that there is agreement on basic beliefs and that pastors/priests can officiate in the others' congregations. Basically we're saying that the other churches are recognized as rightly communicating/expressing the Gospel and the sacraments. There is not a full communion agreement with the UUs because Unitarians are not a Christian denomination.

More likely what you experienced was the ELCA's "open communion" or "open table" policy for communion, by which any baptized Christian is invited to take the sacrament. At every service our pastor welcomes visitors and explains this policy. This is in contrast to the LCMS which has a closed communion policy - only LCMS members may partake of the sacrament and LCMS pastors will deny communion to visitors unless he has spoken to them beforehand and confirmed they are Missouri Synod. That's why after 9/11 I realized how progressive the campus' LCMS congregation and pastor had been to allow regularly-attending ELCA-affiliated students to commune; technically they were breaking the LCMS rules in a big way.

Our church states that Mormons who were only ever baptized into that faith are not believed to be baptized for our purposes due to the fundamental differences in traditional Christian and LDS beliefs regarding the Trinity. I would suspect that many ELCA pastors/congregations would feel similarly regarding the Unitarian tradition but they're not quizzing people at the communion rail. :lol: However if that Unitarian had been baptized in a Trinitarian Christian tradition that would be considered a valid baptism and such a Unitarian could commune in an ELCA church if they so desired.

Archived