IGNORED

Spurgeon? Jessa's Poor Baby Part 2

happy atheist

Walked past a People mag and pointed at the cover and said to headship "Look, it's little baby Spurgeon Seewald!" Cashier let out an audible and involuntary "what!" 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have we really ruled out Quincy? Why?

I like Quincy for the fact that it started as a joke and now the fam is running with it. Takes the whole eliteness of Spurgeon down a notch.

A lot of people have baby names for their kids that (we hope) don't make it outside the family.  My daughter was known as "The Munchkin" and "Munchkie"  and my son was known as "Thumper" as infant/toddlers.  These names had nothing to do with their given names but with their behavior and/or size. ( My daughter was petite, an early talker, with a little piping voice.  My son was heavy-treading even as a toddler (big bones) and you could hear him coming down the hall. Plus he liked to stamp his foot. ) 

They may call him Choo Choo because he likes trains or because his breathing at night sounds like a train or because he said "Choo" when he was babbling one day.  No reason for snarking.

I don't have anything against nicknames (Thumper is an adorable nickname imo) but it was weird to see "choo choo" like that in that open letter. But I guess the thing that really made me feel unsettled was just the letter itself :-/

I roomed with a girl in college whose legal first name was Bunny. No joke. The name on her birth certificate, license, official paperwork was Bunny. She went by a variation of her middle name. She wanted to change her name eventually. Her dad picked her name. He thought it was cute. She did not think it was cute. 

I think little Spurgeon has already garnered more sympathy than all of the other Duggar grandkids put together.  Now, if they'd only change his name.

I think little Spurgeon has already garnered more sympathy than all of the other Duggar grandkids put together.  Now, if they'd only change his name.

That wont happen- they will not admit they screwed up in naming their spawn. 

I've been thinking of him as The Spurge, which I discovered is a t-shirt at a site selling merchandise featuring famous reformed figures: http://righteouswretch.bigcartel.com/product/the-spurge

They also have one with Spurgeon, Luther, and Calvin. Could Luther and Calvin eventually be Spurgeon Seewald's younger brothers?

really want to know what name they planned for a girl.

I roomed with a girl in college whose legal first name was Bunny. No joke. The name on her birth certificate, license, official paperwork was Bunny. She went by a variation of her middle name. She wanted to change her name eventually. Her dad picked her name. He thought it was cute. She did not think it was cute. 

my mother lived on the same block as the Rabbit family, the kids were Peter, Jack and Bunny...

I am really tired of people calling Israel a bad name. I had a great great grandfather named Israel. The only problem with the Duggars naming their child that is that it is cultural appropriation and commodification of the Jewish people. 

This is my problem with the name more than anything.  Anyone who isn't their brand of Christian is wrong and going to hell, and by naming their son a very very Jewish name, it's like they're trying to make themselves out to be the glorious saviors of the poor oppressed.  It's a bad, "what the hell kind of name is that?" name, for them to be using.

When I read this post, I remembered that in 9th grade there was a girl named Bunny who rode our bus!

watching Jill's latest video (she has two new ones) she is calling IDDY his full name (not train) and he crawls and then stands towards her - will we see this ever with Sponge's parents - or will Sponge's parents make him so confused that he won't know what to crawl or walk to - or will they publish fake videos of Sponge's father calling him by his given name and then Stergent's mother will create another video calling him Quincy - this made me all very SAD 

I like the idea of a previous poster who said they would call the baby Moody, in honor of the Anne of Green Gables character Moody Spurgeon.

Spurgeon is truly awful.

Regarding the supposed moderateness of MLK vis a vis Malcolm X, it really depends on how you frame it. When X was in the Nation of Islam (NOI), he believed that the Civil Rights Movement was a waste of time, and that blacks should just focus on building their own autarkic community. Although this approach is often seen as black nationalist and "radical," the truth is that it's not that much different than Booker T. Washington's conservative accomodationalist approach. However, X also believed (and this detail is seldom mentioned) that aliens in "the Mothership," believed to be Ezekiel's wheel mentioned in the Bible, would soon kill all the white people on Judgement Day, thus making issues like integration and civil rights a moot point. I mean, if you think all white people are going to be killed by aliens in the near future, there's really no point in agitating for social change, because not-Xenu is going to do it all for you. Of course, X would eventually repudiate this and the rest of the NOI's nutty teachings when he realized that Elijah Muhammad wasn't teaching mainstream Sunni Islam.

I bring up the Mothership to show that the NOI had a very different philosophy about how to deal with racism than leaders like King. In fact, the passiveness of the NOI in the face of racism was another reason why X became disillusioned with the group. Towards the end of his life, X would repudiate his past with the NOI, including his anti-white statements, so when we speak of him, we have to remember that his views changed quite a bit over time, and something he said in 1959 might not have been what he believed in 1965. Before he died, X was trying to tie the African American struggle for civil rights with the anti-colonial fight in Africa. Since X was killed before his ideas and organization could take off, we have no way of knowing what his work and thought might have been as a mature thinker and activist. In a way, the X is a question mark.

Yes, MLK wore a suit, tie, and hat, but so did Malcolm X. Suits, ties, and hats were worn more often in the 1950s and early 1960s, even among blue collar workers. As far as I know, there was no "casual Friday" back then, and blue jeans were worn by teenagers and manual workers, not ministers. What distinguishes the writings of MLK vs X is that the former is formally educated and it shows. "Letter from a Birmingham Jail," for example, references Augustine of Hippo, Thomas Aquinas, Martin Luther, and various events in American history to show how the black struggle is a part of Western civilization. "Letter from a Birmingham Jail" calls out white moderates for their hypocrisy in the same way that a Malcolm X speech might, but it's done by reminding them of the ideals that they claim to uphold. The "I Have a Dream" speech does the same thing in the beginning portions that almost no one ever thinks about:

In a sense we have come to our nation's capital to cash a check. When the architects of our republic wrote the magnificent words of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, they were signing a promissory note to which every American was to fall heir. This note was a promise that all men, yes, black men as well as white men, would be guaranteed the unalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

It is obvious today that America has defaulted on this promissory note insofar as her citizens of color are concerned. Instead of honoring this sacred obligation, America has given the Negro people a bad check, a check which has come back marked "insufficient funds." But we refuse to believe that the bank of justice is bankrupt. We refuse to believe that there are insufficient funds in the great vaults of opportunity of this nation. So we have come to cash this check -- a check that will give us upon demand the riches of freedom and the security of justice. We have also come to this hallowed spot to remind America of the fierce urgency of now. This is no time to engage in the luxury of cooling off or to take the tranquilizing drug of gradualism. Now is the time to make real the promises of democracy. Now is the time to rise from the dark and desolate valley of segregation to the sunlit path of racial justice. Now is the time to lift our nation from the quick sands of racial injustice to the solid rock of brotherhood. Now is the time to make justice a reality for all of God's children.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/17/i-have-a-dream-speech-text_n_809993.html

The reason why MLK and not X was considered "the most dangerous Negro in America" was because he was directly challenging the white power structure in a way X wasn't (at least, until the end of X's life). During the Civil Rights Movement, the same kind of rhetoric about disease, contamination, and rape that is currently being used about trans people was directed towards blacks; surely you don't want "those people" sharing a pool or bathroom with your daughter? The radical nature of the Civil Rights Movement is downplayed to make it more acceptable to conservatives, and presumably, to hide the fact that most Americans were opposed to it.

How about Spawn as his nickname?  Spawn Seewald would be brilliant!

I have had a similar problem with my email account but only with the combination of first initial and last name.  As someone who joined gmail while it was still in Beta, I am the Original.  But along have come a lot of other people with the first initial and last name who have "appropriated" my email address.  They forget (or the people who write to them forget) that they have an additional initial or a number or their full name attached to My Initial and Last Name.  So I get emails from all over the place sometimes with confidential stuff that isn't meant for my eyes.

That happens to me too. I also joined gmail in beta and my address is first initial maiden name (I'm married now). I constantly get people giving my email address instead of theirs and I get all kinds of email that I shouldn't. I had one group of ladies emailing about their old lady coffee klatch plans who WOULD NOT STOP emailing me no matter how many times I told them I was not their friend and they had the wrong address. 

So one day I replied and said something like "Sure! I'll be there! Of course it might be kind of weird since you don't actually know me and I have no idea who any of you people are." They finally got the hint and I haven't heard from them since. :my_biggrin:

why can't it happen ? I really want them to change the name. I hate they are doing this to their son - I think personally Ben and Jessa have seriously deluded their son and think they are more important than anyone else, that their agenda is so scary and so blatant.  You could hide it before in JB's time.  You can't hide it anymore, And once you can't hide it anymore - it's quite sickening and frightening and goes with Sierra calling her children warriors. 

I wonder if at night while she coos to him - does she realize the AMAZING mistake she made - I really wonder that. 

I just registered [myfirstname][mysurname]@gmail.com and [firstinitial][middleinitial][mysurname]@gmail.com

I have a really common first name and I've never minded it (as a kid I always really liked meeting other girls with my name, actually] but I have an uncommon surname, which can be a good and a bad thing. I sometimes wish I were less google-able, for example. As far as I know I'm the only person with my first and last name and since I like anonymity I'm sometimes kind of jealous of people who can't be googled. I guess if you were wanting attention for whatever reason then having a common name might be a disadvantage, though.

Of course, since he was born into minor celebrity status that wouldn't be an issue for Spurgeon Seewald no matter what his name was.

My email is firstnamelastname@gmail, and I keep getting mail regarding someone else from an HMO - some of the info is urgent, but however many times I tell them, back the emails come. I am seriously worried that my namesake may miss vital appointments.

I may catch some flack for saying this, but nobody tried in any way to compare racism to having the challenges of having an intellectual disability that significantly limits or impairs an individuals's ability to function independently in society, right?  To clarify, I am disabled and I am strongly opposed to discrimination against those with disabilities.  Further, I am well aware that certain disabilities and genetic disorders have widely varied impact on an individual's functioning level.  I just really, really hope that everyone posting here can understand why comparing skin color to being intellectually disabled (or disabled in any way) could be, um, awkward.  Indeed, that type of comparison, if a person were to make it, could well illicit some angry responses.  People might even start tossing around "horrid" words like "FUCK" and "RACIST".

I've had a few wrong number calls that sounded like an emergency and that really made me worried. One last year was a man in jail trying to call his friend for help. I missed every call and I couldn't call back because the man was in jail and I didn't have any of his information. Once he got out he texted me (still thinking I was his friend) and I was finally able to let him know that it was a wrong number and his friend wasn't ignoring him. I really felt awful about that whole situation.

I loathe SpongeBob :pb_rollseyes: :pb_lol: 

Spud is perfect, in my opinion! :happy-jumpgreen:

I'm distressed that people don't like 'Spud'.

Potatoes are my favourite food. I don't care how they are prepared. For my last meal I would choose potatoes. Spud is cute. First three letters even match!!

I'm a fan of derivatives, when it comes to nicknames, inside jokes, etc.  So I would do something like start with Spud and jump from there to... ...Tater Tot.  How appropriate!

Or I would go from Spurgeon to Sphagnum and then call the kid Mossy. :pb_lol:

I don't have anything against nicknames (Thumper is an adorable nickname imo) but it was weird to see "choo choo" like that in that open letter. But I guess the thing that really made me feel unsettled was just the letter itself :-/

What I found ridiculous was all the content in parenthesis, explaining what each phrase meant.  Was that really part of her letter or did the media add it for the public translation?  If it wasn't intended for public consumption, she would not have written it that way, at least I hope not.

I have a friend whose given name is Mildred and she goes by Bunne as a nickname (pronounced Bunny).  I like the name Bunne and it suits her, but I also think Mildred is fine, just out of popularity at the moment, but nothing actually wrong with it.  Millie is a perfectly good nickname IMO.  My friend is in her 60s and I presume she's used the nickname for many years, perhaps going back to a time when Mildred really bothered her.  All speculation, of course.

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived