IGNORED

Seppis: I Think the Hypocrisy is Genetic

DomWackTroll

Why? Well, just read this bio of Granny Stoops by Regina:

You practiced your spelling words down rows while picking cotton. And witnessed FDR’s destructive reformers slaughter the neighbor’s cattle and left them to rot, in order to bring meat prices up. 

But wait! What’s this?

You worked cleaning the church while Grandpa was gone all week when he engineered the county roads in the National Park.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/david-seppi/mary-bailey-stoops-biography-by-regina-goehring/10153233632183730

See, the government is evil, except when it happens to be a Seppi taking money from it. Then it’s magically okay. (And for God’s sake, could someone please teach these people to spell the word “altar”? They never get it right. None of them. Ever.)

You walked to a one room school house, met Indians who walked into your house expecting a meal, rode 14 miles in a covered wagon to church every week and worked and played with your sisters who were your lifelong friends.

Wait -- is this about a Seppi family member or remix of Laura Ingalls Wilder? Surely a Seppi would NEVER lie or exaggerate?!

ETA: Regina is so functionally illiterate it's hard to read this ode to Granny Stoops.

Wait -- is this about a Seppi family member or remix of Laura Ingalls Wilder? Surely a Seppi would NEVER lie or exaggerate?!

ETA: Regina is so functionally illiterate it's hard to read this ode to Granny Stoops.

It really is pathetic. David manages to be somewhat comprehensible in his writings, but Esther and the kids are just hopeless. And Esther is the one who taught the kids, of course, since David was off teaching other people's children in a "government school." (Which is the devil's work unless David's doing it, in which case it's the heathen children's only hope of salvation.)

It's hard to be literate when your reading is limited to Rushdooney and the Scottish revolt.

My great-grandmother grew up one state away, also sharecropping cotton, but they had a car.  Considering covered wagons average about 15 miles a day, that's one long trip - or something.:my_dodgy:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

This is Erika Shupe-level misspelling. Damn. Also: 

War brought shortages and you were thankful for Grandpa to get a war time factory job building airplanes, instead of being a soldier. 

I don't know the laws about selective service but how did Grandpa get spared from the draft? Also, I'm surprised that they are highlighting this, since military service and love of America seems to be a prominent theme for most fundies.  

Having a conversation with Esther is painful. I always think of her when I read about women during the great depression with deficiencies from too many childbirths and not enough nutrients.

Completely off topic, but I couldn't help but think of the Otep song "Sepsis" when I saw this thread title. ;)

I don't know the laws about selective service but how did Grandpa get spared from the draft? Also, I'm surprised that they are highlighting this, since military service and love of America seems to be a prominent theme for most fundies.  

Not in the least trying to defend Grandpa here, but my grandfather worked in a factory that was converted to war production right after Pearl Harbor. He was in his mid-to late-thirties and had three children; I think because of that and because he was doing 'vital war work' he was spared the draft. It's likely Grandpa Stoops was in the same sort of situation.

Not in the least trying to defend Grandpa here, but my grandfather worked in a factory that was converted to war production right after Pearl Harbor. He was in his mid-to late-thirties and had three children; I think because of that and because he was doing 'vital war work' he was spared the draft. It's likely Grandpa Stoops was in the same sort of situation.

Thanks for the answer! I genuinely didn't mean it in the negative sense- I knew that there are rules about who is omitted from selective service (i.e. being a college student) but didn't know most of them. Being involved in war-related production makes sense! 

I'm not sure when Granny was born, but covered wagons were pretty much done by the 1860s-1870s at the latest - that story is a huge stretch.  Now, traveling in wagons of some sort in the early 1900's was likely, but she's making them seem like pioneers. :5624795033223_They-see-me-rollinroll: I love the utter lack of self awareness in the Seppis - I can't roll my eyes hard enough at this post.

Just think - someday there will be posts by Regina's kids and we can see how well this kind of homeschooling works over a few generations. :pb_lol:

When we came to see you in the hospital, you were recovering from a pricked lung when getting your pace maker replaced and I had just been through a break-up. You told me you were sure God had someone for me and that I might marry a man with a child.

Yet more hypocrisy. Courtin' folks ain't s'posed to have break ups! Now some dude out there has pieces of Regina's heart that she can never get back. Or at least, that's what the Seppi's teach about other people's break ups.

I'm not sure when Granny was born, but covered wagons were pretty much done by the 1860s-1870s at the latest - that story is a huge stretch.  Now, traveling in wagons of some sort in the early 1900's was likely, but she's making them seem like pioneers. :5624795033223_They-see-me-rollinroll: I love the utter lack of self awareness in the Seppis - I can't roll my eyes hard enough at this post.

Just think - someday there will be posts by Regina's kids and we can see how well this kind of homeschooling works over a few generations. :pb_lol:

Yep!  I take visitors to Cape Disappointment and various Oregon Trail sites all the time, and the Trans Continental RR was completed by 1869, at which point travel by covered wagons was essentially over.  I mean, yeah, you COULD still go by wagon, but it was faster, safer, and cheaper to go by rail.  Out West the trail is no joke.  There is some hard terrain to cross.  You would be foolish to go by covered wagon after the rail road blasted a safer and easier path.  

When the US entered WW II, a universal draft went into effect such that every male between 18 & 64 had to register with the selective service. Of course, not nearly everyone actually ended up being drafted, or accepted if he volunteered. There were exemptions for medical issues, for fathers, only sons (particularly in families where all other sons were already on active duty), and there was also the "old man's draft": https://www.newberry.org/old-mans-draft. Although Grandma's husband probably wasn't 45, he may well have fallen into one of the other exempt categories.

Note, though, that while the Seppis & their ilk lavish all kinds of praise on the military and love to dress up in military uniforms, their enthusiasm does not usually extend to, you know, actually serving in the military.

Note, though, that while the Seppis & their ilk lavish all kinds of praise on the military and love to dress up in military uniforms, their enthusiasm does not usually extend to, you know, actually serving in the military.

Actually, I don't think the Seppis laud military service. Too much government. Rushdooney only advocates fighting god's wars anyway. That's why Braveheart was ok.

At least it is something to read. Since Melody married Mutton, the blog has mostly been a glimpse into the bizarre fish swimming inside Esther's brain.

RE: Covered wagons.  Not to defend the Seppis who are odd on many leveks, but my grandfather was born in 1902 and remembers seeing covered wagons going by his home in very southwest Kansas.  While these were not the major wagon trains, nor were the covered wagons as stout as those of the people going across the country, they were still around in the early 1900s.  The Kansas Historical society dates this picture as 1907 or 1908  00165248.jpghttp://www.kshs.org/km/items/view/218696

A covered wagon like these, without the heavy load of pioneer supplies and household items, on a road / trail instead of going across untamed prairie or through mountains and streams might have been used by a family for basic transport and would have gone faster than the 15 miles a day.  The "covering" on it would have been incidental.

The Seppis are an odd family, but 95 year old granny may well have ridden to church in a covered wagon when she was a young girl...  as for the rest? hmmmm

When the US entered WW II, a universal draft went into effect such that every male between 18 & 64 had to register with the selective service. Of course, not nearly everyone actually ended up being drafted, or accepted if he volunteered. There were exemptions for medical issues, for fathers, only sons (particularly in families where all other sons were already on active duty), and there was also the "old man's draft"https://www.newberry.org/old-mans-draft. Although Grandma's husband probably wasn't 45, he may well have fallen into one of the other exempt categories.

Thanks for this. In working on my family tree, I recently came across my great grandfather's WWII draft registration. He was in his 60s at the time, and I couldn't believe he'd had to register at his age. I wondered if he'd registered voluntarily, but couldn't imagine the draft board taking him seriously, at least not so early in the war when there were plenty of much younger men to be drafted first. Now I know he was just doing what every other man his age was required to do. 

For government haters there sure are a lot of workers for the beast. And Daddy working as a teacher?  Really?

Yep. They even gave details on their blog, like, "David has to work until such-and-such a date to get the most out of his pension." Totally shameless about it. And then the very next post would be something like, "Here we are at the John Birch Society dinner!" W.T.F.

Yep. They even gave details on their blog, like, "David has to work until such-and-such a date to get the most out of his pension." Totally shameless about it. And then the very next post would be something like, "Here we are at the John Birch Society dinner!" W.T.F.

the phrase cognitive dissonance is not taught at the dining room table one can assume... 

Thanks for this. In working on my family tree, I recently came across my great grandfather's WWII draft registration. He was in his 60s at the time, and I couldn't believe he'd had to register at his age. I wondered if he'd registered voluntarily, but couldn't imagine the draft board taking him seriously, at least not so early in the war when there were plenty of much younger men to be drafted first. Now I know he was just doing what every other man his age was required to do. 

my grandfather was active duty in WWII, but was a couple of months away from deployment when my Mamaw (that's a grandmother in east tennessee) gave birth to her 5th baby. He was discharged about 3 weeks later because they had so many littles.

Oh and what the hell is with the telephone POLL swingset? Did they win it by giving the most batshit crazy john birch approved answers during election season? Geez,, learn to spell.

Archived