IGNORED

Fresh Modesty's advice for teenage Sisters-in-Christ

0 kids n not countin

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

at least she is realistic about not getting married young (not that getting married young is necessarily something one should aspire to) but she might want to add in there "You probably won't get married young, if ever" (as seems to be the case in with certain fundie families)....  :tw_cry:

Give her ten years to wise up on that point.

Redeem your time with audio books. Still one of my fondest times from my teenage years was listening to Augustine's Confessions while sewing Reformation Day costumes for my sisters and me.

:pb_confused:  I'm not sure I could stand the excitement, personally.

Good heavens. 23 is SO old. As Lydia Bennet said: "I was in great hopes that one of you would have got a husband before you came back. Jane will be quite an old maid soon, I declare. She is almost three-and-twenty! Lord, how ashamed I should be of not being married before three-and-twenty!"

Seriously. To me, marrying at 23 is absurdly young (and my mom married at that age!) I just turned 25 yesterday and I STILL think I'm too young to get married, even though I've had the same partner for 7 years. Give yourself a little time. The world at large won't think anything of it if you don't marry until 55. Better to wait and marry someone you adore than put priority on speed and marry whoever you can get.

I take pictures of food, if I've cooked something I'm proud of or if I'm eating ice cream/having a smoothie in either a cool place or one from one of the places which the mother likes but is far far away from us.

I only sent them to the mother and grandmother, and I wouldn't say that I spend much time doing them or that I feel they deserve my spending time to make the food more presentable.

Still I like her focus on herself and interests and relaxing and not on serving/preaching.  This post is very reasonable for a fundie!

Do drink pictures count? I have taken pictures with a beer in my hand, on the dock, on the water, at the family cottage after a long week at work. (All you see of me is my hand and sometimes my feet and then the water and/or dock.)

My cooking is not photo worthy.

The list wasn't awful, just very.....random.  I suppose it's about how her personal interests have developed, and not a sacred list for all women everywhere.

I had a little laugh about the food photography.  Girl 1 is a bit of a foodie, and has been known to yell "DON'T TOUCH!  I need to get a picture first" when a particularly delicious dish comes along.  She'd be pleased to know that this is apparently an essential skill instead of a weird quirk.

In the comments someone asks if she's read Debi Pearl's book and she says no but her family has the book. 

I actually hadn't realized this family had gotten in as deep as the Pearls.

As far as marrying young, well...I don't know about that. In the very, very fundie families, I think the pickings are definitely slim enough there's a chance it won't happen. But at the Christian college I attended, 19 and 20 was a perfectly normal marrying age. I'm in my younger twenty-somethings, and I'm the only person left from my freshman year athletic team (both men AND women!) who isn't married yet. 

I like embroidery! But I only use it for monogramming because I think antique monograms are prettier than the machine monograms that are so popular these days. Can't imagine that food photography (though while a specialty) would be much use if you weren't in that industry.

Holy Macaroni!  I suck at editing!!!  SEVERELY!!

20151028_160047.thumb.jpg.3f18929e879934

20151028_160047.jpg

20151028_160047.jpg

Either I don't know how to edit or I'm just SEVERELY enamored with my Food Photography skills.

20151028_160047.thumb.jpg.3f18929e879934

20151028_160047.jpg

20151028_160047.jpg

@Gimme a Free RV - I officially love you!

It was my Food Photography skill that won you over, wasn't it?

It was your food staging skills-right in front of your FJ screen-that did it for me!

@Gimme a Free RV - I officially love you!

It was my Food Photography skill that won you over, wasn't it?

You won my cold black heart when you photoshopped the Rodrigues family into that picture of the Amityville house. :56247955dd693_32(12):

After my daily visit to FreeJinger I went over to AllRecipes.com to figure out something for dinner (take out won the day). Some of the recipe photos were horrible! I never really noticed until today. 

My life does not feel incomplete because I cannot take good pictures of food but then I'm not the kind of cook who would ever create a recipe worthy of a website. 

What a strange list.  It seems very personal to me and not something with broad applications. Like photographing food I can't see the need to learn needlepoint or this:

Learn Photoshop, video editing, and typography. You may not plan to ever have a business, work as a graphic designer, or blog, but the chances of you being asked to make a flyer for a church event or help your husband with t-shirts for his company, etc. are preeeeetty high. 

Typography, really?  Does she assume that every young woman is going to start a family blog at some point?

I can actually understand this. I learned a bit about photo editing, graphic design, text layout, etc while working for my college newspaper, and it turned out to be a huge plus on my resume, even though my job isn't directly related. I would add basic html to the list too. Means you can find your way around the company website, prepare documents for wide distribution, work with the graphic design department without pissing  anyone off, and so on.

32 years old and never needed to learn food photography (other than occasionally taking a picture of a great meal I've cooked) Photoshop, video editing, and typography, sheet music or sewing. Yay me. I agree that cooking is a valuable skill though.

In my opinion more valuable universal skills would be- budgeting, time management

What a strange list.  It seems very personal to me and not something with broad applications. Like photographing food I can't see the need to learn needlepoint or this:

Learn Photoshop, video editing, and typography. You may not plan to ever have a business, work as a graphic designer, or blog, but the chances of you being asked to make a flyer for a church event or help your husband with t-shirts for his company, etc. are preeeeetty high. 

Typography, really?  Does she assume that every young woman is going to start a family blog at some point?

I can actually understand this. I learned a bit about photo editing, graphic design, text layout, etc while working for my college newspaper, and it turned out to be a huge plus on my resume, even though my job isn't directly related. I would add basic html to the list too. Means you can find your way around the company website, prepare documents for wide distribution, work with the graphic design department without pissing  anyone off, and so on.

No.  I'm sure she meant "TOPOGRAPHY."  Do you know who useful that skill is in fetching single, young, Christian men these days?  See?  This is exactly why many of you are still single.  You haven't honed those topography skills.

No.  I'm sure she meant "TOPOGRAPHY."  Do you know who useful that skill is in fetching single, young, Christian men these days?  See?  This is exactly why many of you are still single.  You haven't honed those topography skills.

Oh that's why I've never had any luck fetching young Christian men. My topography is so sadly flat.

Oh that's why I've never had any luck fetching young Christian men. My topography is so sadly flat.

That's what she said.  

TOPOLOGY. She meant the study of geometric properties and spatial relations unaffected by the continuous change of shape or size of figures. Although you can severely burn your hand once you can no longer tell the difference between a coffee mug and a donut.

I actually read the whole list as being written by Olivia to her past self -- hence the "you WILL need food photography" refers to the fact that she herself has needed it. It's definitely weird without that.

Archived