IGNORED

Republican Candidate In Pennsylvania Could Become New Kim Davis

doggie

So she says she will disobey her sworn oath when she takes it How stupid can you get? really she really just wants to show how godly she really is. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/domen...sharon-valentine_b_8330734.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

Sharon Valentine-Thomas, the Republican candidate for register of wills in Pennsylvania's Montgomery County, wants to be the new Kim Davis. "I am opposed to gay marriages on religious grounds, and my conscience will not allow me to sign off on marriage certificates for gay couples," Ms. Valentine Thomas stated recently. "People should not have to violate their conscience to run or to serve," she believes. Although she plans to discriminate if elected, she is forging ahead with her campaign. 

I am a resident, a gay resident, of Montgomery County. Ms. Valentine-Thomas will not get my vote despite her claims of not being an "obstructionist." If elected, she will seek a court-ordered accommodation to allow her subordinates to do the dirty work of issuing marriage licenses to us gay folks. 

If she proposes to pawn off her work, why should I vote for her? If she judges my marriage to be unacceptable, why would I want her to serve me in our local government?

Montgomery County was the first Pennsylvania county to issue licenses to same-sex couples. D. Bruce Hanes, the current register or wills (who is running for a third term against Ms. Valentine-Thomas) defied the discriminatory Pennsylvania law in 2013 and expanded the issuance of licenses to gay couples. My now-husband and I were the 25th pair to get one of these licenses in Pennsylvania.

If Ms. Valentine-Thomas were to be elected, would she refuse other services to us? The office handles petitions for adoptions and probates wills. If we wanted to bring a child into our home, would her religious beliefs bar her from granting adoption? If my husband passed away (heaven forbid), would it be against her conscience to deal with his estate? In a moment of intense personal grief, will I discover that the person elected to probate my husband's will finds our marriage objectionable and his will invalid?

Blah, this is what I worried about after the whole Kim Davis fiasco: copycats. I can see a bunch of nutty conservatives try to jump on the martyr bandwagon after seeing all of the press Kim Davis got after her shenanigans. They know that playing the martyr will up their chances of getting votes amongst the fundie contingent. 

Spread the word, Doggie, fellow PA resident here, although not the same county. If she isn't willing to do what the job entails, she shouldn't even be allowed to run, smh!

Spread the word, Doggie, fellow PA resident here, although not the same county. If she isn't willing to do what the job entails, she shouldn't even be allowed to run, smh!

can you imagine her getting elected on a promise not to do her job?

well, at least her constituents know ahead of time that she will not be doing her job, so it's not like it could catch them off guard.

i can't imagine being hired on for a job when i openly refuse to do an integral part of it during the interview process. if there is a job out there like that, and it pays well and has great benefits, etc...someone please let me know!

I feel like Kim Davis had the teeeeeensiest smidge of a point, in the sense that her job description changed.  Now since she became unable to properly do her job, she needed to either get over it or find another job. Believe me I have zero interest in defending that woman.  But this is absolutely ridiculous.  Who campaigns for a job, trying to make a stand by staying they won't do their job correctly? 

I feel like Kim Davis had the teeeeeensiest smidge of a point, in the sense that her job description changed.  Now since she became unable to properly do her job, she needed to either get over it or find another job. Believe me I have zero interest in defending that woman.  But this is absolutely ridiculous.  Who campaigns for a job, trying to make a stand by staying they won't do their job correctly? 

A fundie, trying to get elected by other fundies :my_tongue:

Archived