IGNORED

Town wants to ban short shorts and mini skirts

MatthewDuggar

addictinginfo.org/2015/09/13/short-shorts-mini-skirts-saggy-pants-banned-dodeville-alabama-town-video/

I live in Florida and occasionally I see someone wearing something that borderlines on obscene, but I think this is going pretty far...

Well, they don't call Alabama Talibama for nothing. God, I hate these fundie misogynistic assholes.

So, after praying about it, the city council in Dadeville, Alabama is voting to create a city ordinance banning not only saggy pants, but also short shorts and mini skirts..... so, I'm curious, will this be like some 1960s jr. high where there is someone going around with a ruler or having women "kneel" to see if their skirt reaches the floor.....

Christian Taliban in action? I know it is a small town, but seriously, how can this be legal?

A new ordinance in Alabama has turned cops into fashion police. “I prayed about this; I know that God would not go around with pants down,†Dadeville City Councilman Frank Goodman said.

“We have people walking down the street with their hand in front of them holding up their pants,†Goodman added. “Then they have the nerve to walk into a place of business and ask for a job. If you come to my house you are going to pull them up before you get on my property, much less in my door.â€

Originally, the council of the Alabama town had targeted saggy pants alone. In fact, the law was proposed as the “Saggy Pants Ordinance,†until city council member Stephanie Kelley decided to include women who wear short dresses and shorts.

“My concern is it should be for everybody,†Kelley said of the ban at Tuesday’s Council meeting. “I think for the girls, with these shorts up so high looking like under garments and dresses so short, I don’t want us to be showing favoritism.â€

But why do Kelley and Goodman think they should have the right to dictate what people wear?

“It is about respect,†Goodman said. “Who is going to respect you if you don’t respect yourself. The reason I brought this up is I think people deserve respect when they are in public. I think slacking is disrespectful. I think it gives our younger generation the wrong impression of what is cool.â€

Council member James Tarpley agreed with the fashion policing, saying, “I have heard more favorable positive comments about us even considering this than I have on anything else since I have been on the council.â€

The city attorney said that banning women’s clothes will “take a little more creativity on my part†to write into law.

countercurrentnews.com/2015/09/alabama-bans-saggy-and-short-shorts-after-councilman-prayed-about-this/

“I prayed about this; I know that God would not go around with pants down,†Dadeville City Councilman Frank Goodman said.

Hmmm.... what DOES God wear?

I can see the clothing ads, huge posters: "GOD would buy this"

Separation of church and state???
I thought that was a limitation on Congress, but I'm not an American so I'm no authority.

I thought that was a limitation on Congress, but I'm not an American so I'm no authority.

I'm not American either. It affects all three levels of government here: local, state and federal. I assumed the USA was the same.

Well they don't call Alabama Talibama for nothing. I'm so ashamed of my state. Fuck these fundie racists misogynistic SOBs!

Dadeville is right near Lake Martin (hubby and I went on our honeymoon there) and not far from Auburn ( a big college town). So, I'm hoping this won't pass. Taxpayers will foot the bill for these changes.

“I prayed about this; I know that God would not go around with pants down,†Dadeville City Councilman Frank Goodman said.

Hmmm.... what DOES God wear?

I can see the clothing ads, huge posters: "GOD would buy this"

I don't know about yours, but my God wears a mini-skirt. :D

It does apply to all levels of government.

I am not sure that just because a councilman prayed on it means that it necessarily violates anything. If these redneck idiots were proclaiming a dress code based on biblical standards, that's one thing.

But yes, this is definitely a case of a city official over stepping his role. There is no way this would stand up to a constitutional test.

I'm not sure it wouldn't hold up in court, either. There is precedent in regards to communities setting their own standards. However, they need a compelling reason that's not steeped in religion. I don't know if there is one.

Wouldn't it be easier for the local businesses to just stop serving people who are dressed "inappropriate"

My god...dess wears a falcon cloak and often not much else, lol.

But seriously, don't the girls get enough of this in school? Can you imagine the police that would have to enforce this? What, are they going to go around with rulers? "Ah, I don't think you ladies have made the finger tip rule. Can you all stand in line and extend your arms down your sides so we can examine your skirts?"

EEEEEwwwwwww.

Stoning, I should think.

I should not have laughed as hard as I did at this.

But for real, I'll file this under reason 84720584 why I will never live in the south again. I'm in the Pacific NW now and people don't believe me when I try to describe the religious crazy that's considered acceptable. It's OKAY to ignore the crazypants parts of the bible. S2g if it said God found the color blue annoying they would be banning people looking up at the sky.

I do not see any way that the town can enforce this law. So if I am driving my Jeep through town in a bikini- are they going to pull me over and write me a ticket? It just doesn't make an sense.

This is the 14th Amendment of the Constitution:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

What that means is every citizen of the USA is covered by all the privileges and immunities in the constitution including the establishment clause of the 1st amendment which bars the government from from favoring one religious view over another or even favoring religion over non-religion.

However if this proposed bill is written correctly, religion need not enter into. Instead the framers could address the decency requirements. That would get very tricky because they will have to be extremely precise in description otherwise it becomes impossible to uphold. As others have pointed out the police would have to carry rulers for measuring shorts or checking where the saggiest part of the pants hit. I think they will find this proposed legislation impossible to write.

I think we all need to find some sagging pants then round up a bunch of men willing to wear mini skirts and head there for a FJ gathering.

Archived