IGNORED

"Duck Dynasty" guy, Si Robertson, thinks atheists don't exis

doggie

and we wonder why DD is so lame.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/07/07 ... dar-video/

Speaking with The Christian Post last week, Duck Dynasty star Si Robertson talked a lot about his new movie, Faith Of Our Fathers. In the conversation, Robertson spoke about how war brings soldiers together and how that’s a great place for the Gospel. Yeah, because if I were under fire, I’d want to be blathered at by a pushy Christian.

Robertson, who puts on a fake front for his TV show, told the CP Voice about the film’s two main characters:

“One is a skeptic. And there’s a lot of skeptics. I don’t believe there’s a such thing as an atheist. Because there’s too much documentation. Our calendars are based on Jesus Christ. Whether you believe in Him or not, every time you write down the day’s date you’re saying He’s here.â€

It looks like he's trying to argue for general revelation...but that doesn't really work if you don't subscribe to the principle. Sure, he can say this is a case of the Lord revealing himself through nature...or the calendar...and therefore nobody's an atheist, but that's not really how it works. Hell, that's not even how the theology of general revelation works.

Geez, Si. :snooty:

So using his argument, then the Norse Gods are as valid and important as his Jesus, to him? I mean he says and writes Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and all the rest all the time right?

So using his argument, then the Norse Gods are as valid and important as his Jesus, to him? I mean he says and writes Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and all the rest all the time right?

don't try to add logic to this you will only fail.

don't try to add logic to this you will only fail.

I only logic to the point I get to make them all pagans or make myself laugh, it makes life easier to bear this way.

STFU Si! You ain't making no damn sense!

That the calendar is proof of Christianity will come as a sore blow to those parts of Asia that use the moon-calendar. Also, some Orthodox churches still use the Julian calendar - definitely not Christian in origin - to determine when to celebrate which holiday. If anything, the Gregorian calendar is proof for a better understanding of maths and astronomy. It was also the ebil Catholics who adopted it first, but really, it just tweaked the Julian calendar.

But what would I know about the history of calendars? Once more, my well-documented existence gets denied by someone calling himself a Christian. I will stop worrying about calendars, and just enjoy the "persecution", while it lasts. 8-)

I suppose this means he's not in favor of the trend of changing from BC and AD to BCE and CE...

I suppose this means he's not in favor of the trend of changing from BC and AD to BCE and CE...

I guess he hasn't noticed that we've changed from BC & AD to BCE & CE.

How I am not surprised by his lack of education?

.... So.... He's an older, masculine, and hairy version of Jessa Seewald?

And writing June, July and August means we still want to have Roman emperors.... or something.

Isn’t there a video where Bin talked about this very subject with some weird paster dude?

I guess he hasn't noticed that we've changed from BC & AD to BCE & CE.

How I am not surprised by his lack of education?

Did I miss an actual change? I very rarely hear/see BCE/CE, and currently the info I can find on it seems to imply it's optional, or just something you "should" do.

Did I miss an actual change? I very rarely hear/see BCE/CE, and currently the info I can find on it seems to imply it's optional, or just something you "should" do.

I haven't seen any official changes, but I've seen an increased use of it by historians. I've made the change in my own writing.

I haven't seen any official changes, but I've seen an increased use of it by historians. I've made the change in my own writing.

When I was an undergrad in the 90s at a very good university, that was all that was used. When I was a grad student at a less prestigious (but still okay) university in the late aughts-2012, it was still used. Wikipedia says, "Since the later 20th century, use of CE and BCE has been popularized in academic and scientific publications and more generally by publishers wishing to emphasize secularism and/or sensitivity to non-Christians." [https]

This makes sense to me. I was raised in CA, and our high school did not use BCE/CE (my high school history teacher also tried to assert that the cause of the Civil War was not slavery, but taxes and state rights :shock: ). I was surprised at my UC to discover this improved system of time tracking, and it's what I've seen in academia since.

I just asked my daughter, who'll go into sixth grade in the fall. She thinks they're using BCE/CE in her classes, but she's not sure. She's in a public school in CA.

Wiki also says that BCE/CE caused enough of an uproar for Phyllis Schlafly's son Andrew to start "Conservapedia." Interestingly, Andrew is also a history teacher. Where is he teaching? Who hired him? :angry-banghead:

Does this mean that my husband and siblings don't exist? Have I imagined them all these years?

I feel myself fading like the Cheshire Cat at this very moment. :wink-kitty:

I feel myself fading like the Cheshire Cat at this very moment. :wink-kitty:

kpQfTlX.jpg

I'm an atheist, and I'm indifferent. Most people only know BC & AD, so I use those. This is a time when I don't care that something refers to Jesus. The rest of time and science doesn't. I guess this is a consolation prize to hardcore Christians in my mind.

That's a new one. I've never been told I straight up don't exist anymore. :lol:

I'm also not particularly offended by AD/BC. If I was going to get mad at every single thing affiliated with religion in the world, I'd lose out on the better part of humanity's artistic output. However, I think changing to CE/BCE is a good thing because while the church might have ruled society 600 years ago, it doesn't now, and history is still something that's happening.

This also raises the question of what we would base a completely secular method of counting years on. It's too late to change it now, we're stuck with the vague birth date of Jesus, but it's interesting to consider the possibilities. I've always found Roman history really fascinating, so I'm partial to starting the count from the fall of the Roman empire. :D But,that's not really a super concrete date to go off of either, and you could make the same argument for any number of empires all over the globe.

It would also be cool to just start from the general year of the oldest city we've ever found, but that would mean we're constantly being jumped forward in years as new sites are found...

I guess I didn't give birth to my atheist son.

Can these hillbillies just go away. I don't see the appeal. They're just out to take people's money not spread the word of Jesus.

The thing with them is that they're presenting a more palatable version of Christianity for your average run-of-the-mill Christians. You know, the ones who don't buy into the whole skirts-to-the-floor thing, get excited about prom, and date. To them, Si & Phil are just telling it like it is with a little bit of crazy mixed in - which is why viewers love them in the first place. Hell, they're especially relevant to their Southern counterparts, who spend their weekends just like the Robertsons do (plus or minus a mansion or two). It'll be interesting to see how long they stick around.

And writing June, July and August means we still want to have Roman emperors.... or something.

Isn’t there a video where Bin talked about this very subject with some weird paster dude?

Don't forget that we also need to change the names of a few weekdays: Thursday, Friday and Saturday spring to mind. Can't have pagan gods' names in there, can we? :D

The thing with them is that they're presenting a more palatable version of Christianity for your average run-of-the-mill Christians. You know, the ones who don't buy into the whole skirts-to-the-floor thing, get excited about prom, and date. To them, Si & Phil are just telling it like it is with a little bit of crazy mixed in - which is why viewers love them in the first place. Hell, they're especially relevant to their Southern counterparts, who spend their weekends just like the Robertsons do (plus or minus a mansion or two). It'll be interesting to see how long they stick around.

I don't see them sticking around much longer; they have totally saturated the market and nobody even cares anymore, the only way they get any real attention is to say something inflammatory. The show was funny for a season, and then it got clearly manufactured and scripted and just not at all funny.

I don't see them sticking around much longer; they have totally saturated the market and nobody even cares anymore, the only way they get any real attention is to say something inflammatory. The show was funny for a season, and then it got clearly manufactured and scripted and just not at all funny.

I think that's why they say such inflammatory stuff, because they do realize their show's ratings aren't as high as they once were. They're like others in that situation, who will do anything they can to stay in the limelight. To me, they're like the Duggars and Donald Trump in that sense, just out for the attention.

Archived