IGNORED

A question for gay/bi/lesbian FJians

Hane

I always say that if homophobes wanna use me as their supposed gay friend they have to pay me $500 cash, up front. Then I will allow it. :lol:

Nebraska's governor Pete Rickett's sister is the well know lesbian activist and Lambda Legal council member Laura Ricketts. Of course Petey is known for blocking gay marriage in the state. However, he did attend his sister's wedding last month, which I think was quite a step for Laura to take as I would never be so kind to a brother who was diametrically opposed to my wedding. Or Petey is a flaming hypocrite.

My public all girls high school was openly homophobic. I'd love to see their reaction to the SCOTUS ruling!

My friends are all pro marriage equality (my high school friends knew I wasn't straight before I did!) In saying that one girl I went to school with posted about the SCOTUS ruling by saying she "was against gay marriage" but still "respected her LGBT friends". The next day she posted about how LGBT people in a nightclub were burned to death by G*d because "his rapture has come, our Lord is angry by these sinners" ect.

Frankly I'm ready open a can of fundy realness on her pants wearing, immodest clothing self the next time she tries that again.

Frankly I'm ready open a can of fundy realness on her pants wearing, immodest clothing self the next time she tries that again.

Personally, I would suggest busting out some of the Bible verses where Jesus talked about learning the meaning of the OT verse on "mercy, not sacrifice" the next time she gets like that. The last thing you'd want is to convince her the fundies' ridiculous legalism about modest dresses actually is legit.

I have no doubt that if the Jesus portrayed in the Bible is accurate that he would smack down modern fundies for being overly legalistic and unloving in a similar manner to how he reacted to the Pharisees.

As for my own experience with the "gay friends" thing - I'm not gay myself, but I have seen secondhand how my Jehovah's Witness family members treat gay people, and I do not think that they are really capable of being actual friends with gay people.

In the JW world at least, I have noticed there is definitely a distinction between FRIENDLY BEHAVIOR and actually BEING FRIENDS with someone. JWs are happy to behave in a friendly way to non-JWs (as in they will be completely pleasant and polite to you at work, school, family events, etc.), but generally they will not be actual friends (as in going out of their way to socialize with you, doing favors for you, etc.) with someone that they consider to be living a "sinful" lifestyle (which gay people and most non-JWs are, in their view).

If anybody disrespects my lesbian SIL, her fiancée, or my other LGBT friends, I do not tolerate it. I am proud to have them all in my life.

Just know that if I ever happen to meet any LGBT FJs in real life. You and you SO would be most welcome in my home and experience true southern hospitality and friendship without the homophobia.

No. In my experience from inside the closet, those two worlds just don't collide. It's either anti - gay, usually for religious reasons, and would have a massive fit if I came out, or normal, gay-friendly, who honestly don't understand the point of being in the closet as they've never seen the uglier side of the anti-gay. Being close friends with the former is pretty much conditional to not being out. (Even if they guessed or suspect, they'd steer away if it was public record)

I graduated from a fundie High School in the Branson area several of the girls I graduated with have been going on a homophobic rant about how "God hates homosbecause the bible says it is then, so they must be lying because God doesn't make mistakes and he wouldn't make anyone gay. Being gay is an abomination" :evil-eye:

Felt like I was going to die right there at lunch that day... :angry-banghead:

No.

I have no friends who are opposed to gay marriage for religious reasons. I only have a few religious friends, and only 2 are Christian. The people I know who are opposed to gay marriage are opposed to ALL marriage and it has nothing to do with sexuality.

Then again I live in an eevil, librul area where the SCOTUS news was met mostly with euphoria. :D

I'm heterosexual, and I do have LGBT friends. My kids have LGBT friends. What we don't have are anti gay friends. Being a tolerant person is kind of a prerequisite for being in my life. If you are a bigot, you're not my friend, I don't care how long you've been in my life. I do have some anti gay family members, and I do speak up when they're being jerks, not just about gays, I also don't tolerate racism or sexism, particularly in front of my children. I don't cut them off, and I am pleasant to them, but I do tend to avoid them as much as possible.

Archived