IGNORED

Duggars on Megyn Kelly, Friday Night Edition

Destiny

If TLC does bring back the show, I cannot imagine what it will look like. Awkward, to say the least. Then there is the fact that TLC is part of a huge media conglomerate, Discovery Communications. It is a monster of a global company that is traded on the NASDAQ stock exchange. They have to be in on any discussions and they will do whatever they need to do to protect their company and their investors. Right now, at least for the past week, TLC's ratings have really tanked so obviously people are boycotting the channel. But WHO is doing the boycotting? Friends or foes of 19 Kids and Counting? If TLC and Discovery Communications knew the answer, their decision would be an easy one.

Totally off-topic but I wonder if the Duggars are aware of how many gay and lesbian people run companies, including TLC. Up until last year, a lesbian was the head of TLC. She was recently promoted to run Discovery Communications Global. The CEO of Discovery Channel is gay. I recently learned that the head of programing for MeTV (a network I watch more than I care to admit) is a gay man. There is no cleaner network than MeTV....it's a network families can watch together without fear of what they may see or hear. And he must be doing a bang up job because MeTV is giving other channels a run for their money...it is hugely successful. Do the Duggars accept that these folks for the work they do or do they think they should not be allowed to run companies?

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...There is no cleaner network than MeTV....it's a network families can watch together without fear of what they may see or hear. And he must be doing a bang up job because MeTV is giving other channels a run for their money...it is hugely successful.

I love meTV!!

If TLC does bring back the show, I cannot imagine what it will look like. Awkward, to say the least. Then there is the fact that TLC is part of a huge media conglomerate, Discovery Communications. It is a monster of a global company that is traded on the NASDAQ stock exchange. They have to be in on any discussions and they will do whatever they need to do to protect their company and their investors. Right now, at least for the past week, TLC's ratings have really tanked so obviously people are boycotting the channel. But WHO is doing the boycotting? Friends or foes of 19 Kids and Counting? If TLC and Discovery Communications knew the answer, their decision would be an easy one.

Totally off-topic but I wonder if the Duggars are aware of how many gay and lesbian people run companies, including TLC. Up until last year, a lesbian was the head of TLC. She was recently promoted to run Discovery Communications Global. The CEO of Discovery Channel is gay. I recently learned that the head of programing for MeTV (a network I watch more than I care to admit) is a gay man. There is no cleaner network than MeTV....it's a network families can watch together without fear of what they may see or hear. And he must be doing a bang up job because MeTV is giving other channels a run for their money...it is hugely successful. Do the Duggars accept that these folks for the work they do or do they think they should not be allowed to run companies?

Business/money is second only to sex when it comes to things that make people happily turn hypocrite. Whatever the Duggars believe religiously and politically, they're not going to shy away from media run by lgbtq people as long as the public image is "family friendly." Just like lgbtq CEOs, producers, etc. aren't going to refuse to feature virulently homophobic people if those people bring in ratings/money.

Not trying to speculate, but I get the sense that there is more that they are hoping doesn't come out.

I'll speculate. There is a hell of a lot more abuse sexual, physical, mental, emotional) than what goes on in that family than in other ATI families. JB now has just enough money and political weight to cover it all up.

This was clearly an inside job (not necessarily a family member). It was a carefully orchestrated, well timed outing. The family was notified beforehand so that they could put together these full of shit and teary eyed responses to make them look even worse.

This is just the beginning. I also believe when all is said and done the Duggar family will will make Doug Phillips look like a choir boy. Aome of the more notable (not necessarily tv famous or wealthy) ATI families connected to the Duggars are going to get burned. And IBLP/ATI will implode.

I hope the show is dead, but I could see them testing the waters with a special mostly about Jessa's baby. I think the specials will have huge ratings at least at first but mostly for the freak factor. Once they see how boring they are, they will dwindle.

And I hope that Derick has reconsidered his plans for Nepal. He needs paid employment for awhile. If his heart really is towards mission work, he should work hard here, move to a smaller home, limit the number of kids they have and start saving up.

I worry about Jill. She seems ill equipped to deal with all the sweeping changes that are coming her way. Izzy's birth was really rough and apparently she had some issues for awhile after she got home. Now this situation and her whole world is upside down. I hope that Derick is a sensitive and supportive partner. Jill is going to have it hard, I fear.

Jessa is tougher. She may be the type who takes her anger and uses it as motivation. She seems spoiled and entitled, but she is also old enough to remember the harder times in the small house with 14 kids. I think she could make it through, if her unemployed teen husband drops his unrealistic dreams to be a pastor, and gets a real job. Jessa will need to mold him into a grown man. Unfortunately the only grown man she really knows well is her Dad. I hope that she has had some other men as role models. Or perhaps even Michael Seewald will be a good role model. He is a tool for sure, but he does at least seem to be a real breadwinner, rather than a grifter.

speaking of scandals yet to come out. I would much rather see something along the lines of debunking their "never live in debt". Buy used/pay the difference, etc, than to see another sex scandal. The sex abuse stuff is just too sad, so I would rather see some of their other sacred cow hypocrisies be exposed. The more lies and mis-representations that are exposed the better. For example, I would love it if there was proof that there never was a Caleb and that the story of his miscarriage was a myth.

Or if there was strong evidence that they scammed public assistance, or were a welfare family for awhile. Certainly somewhere there is evidence of JB's shady business deals somewhere.

Even now, it grates me that JB tries to get good deals, early bird specials, Kids eat free, etc, when he can clearly afford to pay for services. The small businesses that offer those specials probably take a real hit when the Duggars come in, and it may discourage them from offering specials to other families more in need.

I would love to find out that some of their Charities are scams and fronts for money laundering for illegal gains by Gothard or otheres in that group.

THose are the kinds of scandals I would like to see, and I guess I would like to see the scandal have enough magnitude that even the adult kids can't excuse it. I dont want to fracture the family, but I would love to find a way to shake them away from abject loyalty to JB and M. All kids go through the phase of rejecting and questioning their parents and it is an important phase of development for both parent and child.

RadarOnline has a story up that who ever is in possession of the letter that was inside of the book is trying to sell the letter to the tabloids and has a lawyer.

The interesting piece is that it says the letter identifies who the fifth victim is and other details.

I worry about Jill. She seems ill equipped to deal with all the sweeping changes that are coming her way. Izzy's birth was really rough and apparently she had some issues for awhile after she got home. Now this situation and her whole world is upside down. I hope that Derick is a sensitive and supportive partner. Jill is going to have it hard, I fear.

Jessa is tougher. She may be the type who takes her anger and uses it as motivation. She seems spoiled and entitled, but she is also old enough to remember the harder times in the small house with 14 kids. I think she could make it through, if her unemployed teen husband drops his unrealistic dreams to be a pastor, and gets a real job. Jessa will need to mold him into a grown man. Unfortunately the only grown man she really knows well is her Dad. I hope that she has had some other men as role models. Or perhaps even Michael Seewald will be a good role model. He is a tool for sure, but he does at least seem to be a real breadwinner, rather than a grifter.

Completely agree with your comments about Jill. She could end up in a very vulnerable place. Derick is going to have his hands full. Use a condom, dude! The last thing Jill needs now is another pregnancy.

Not so sure about Jessa. The hard shell could be a defense mechanism. And when she married her teen husband it seems likely that she thought the TLC gravy train would support them for a long time to come. If she isn't successful getting Bin's ass in gear and focused on a real job, I can see the marriage falling apart. Lust and physical attraction can start fading away pretty quickly when bread and butter becomes an issue. JB will probably help, but he's not going to be able to support everyone. And of all the adult daughters, Jessa strikes me as the most likely to divorce if it's not working out for her. Especially now.

RadarOnline has a story up that who ever is in possession of the letter that was inside of the book is trying to sell the letter to the tabloids and has a lawyer.

The interesting piece is that it says the letter identifies who the fifth victim is and other details.

I seriously hope that letter is never released if this is true. That fifth victim absolutely deserves their privacy. I wish that privacy could have extended to the four known victims as well, but unfortunately that didn't happen.

It's incredibly unethical for that person to consider selling someone's privacy for their own gain. If this is true, then I am thoroughly disgusted with that person.

I have still been wondering about Jim Bob saying he took a witness with him when Josh confessed. I'm not sure if this theory has been brought up.

Jim Bob is very vocal that he took a witness.

The police officer said Josh confessed to it happening one time.

What if the babysitter's parents were going to go to the police or forced Jim Bob to go to the police.

Maybe Jim Bob was worried the 5th victim would go to the police first so he took a witness to prove Josh had confessed.

If Josh confesses to the police that one time he peeked or touched the babysitter(which I assume was not a small child, but closer in age to Josh), and he went to counseling that is why the officer just gave him a stern talk.

I'm not sure how these cases work but If Josh confesses about the babysitter and said it happened once, got counseling , would the police always open a full CPS case? Seems like if the police did not know about the 4 incest victims, the babysitter confession, one time would probably not be a huge deal.

I also feel like if this is true this makes the 5th victim have to be connected to the church if they let Josh first go for Christian counseling and then confess, because perhaps they felt like the treatment centers that Jim Bob didn't want Josh to go to were as scary as Jim Bob described.

Now that's an interesting new piece of info. If this info is true, it will become public knowledge in 24 hours. I hope the person in possession of the letter is identified, but not the 5th victim.

I hope the letter is not released. We have enough trash on the Duggars, and Josh has small children and a pregnant wife. This is kind of creepy and over done.

I hope that if there is anything else to come out it is about JB and financial lies. I really don't want to see the younger 18 further traumatized, or as I said, Josh's children and pregnant wife. I think enough is enough.

The only person who should come out about the 5th victim is the 5th victim. No one else has that right.

ETA: why didn't the police obtain that letter? Wouldn't it have been evidence?

I've been confused about that letter from the beginning. From what I understand, someone wrote a letter detailing what was going on. That letter got placed/hidden in a book. Someone outside(?) the family got their hands on that book and found the letter. And then...?

Was it one of the kids who wrote that letter as a sort of journal and then stuck in a book? Or was it someone outside who wrote it and then hid it? And then when whoever it is found that letter...what did they do? Were THEY the ones who contacted Oprah, or did they tell someone else and that person did it? How did the Duggars found out about that letter, anyway? If it were one of the kids who wrote it, then I can see them confessing to it after they realized that the book they hid it in was given away. But if someone else wrote it, how would the Duggars find out? If the person who found it liked the Duggars and were sympathetic enough to tell them about it, why would they either contact Harpo and blab about it to someone else?

I seriously hope that letter is never released if this is true. That fifth victim absolutely deserves their privacy. I wish that privacy could have extended to the four known victims as well, but unfortunately that didn't happen.

It's incredibly unethical for that person to consider selling someone's privacy for their own gain. If this is true, then I am thoroughly disgusted with that person.

I do not want the 5th victims name to come out. I rather if this person who has the letter , give an interview about how the Duggar church worked back then. If they talked about how the home church dealt with many issues (not just abuse). Without naming names, if the person with the letter would say frequently kids confessed in front of the church everything from sneaking food to sexual sins. I would like to know about the power and connections the home church had without knowing the victims. Right now I think the public is disgusted about the sex abuse by Josh. The articles about Gosthard's crazy teachings or how bad the homeschooling is seem to be more popular and what are getting people 100% behind the show never returning and people are starting to see the kids as needing help.

Now that's an interesting new piece of info. If this info is true, it will become public knowledge in 24 hours. I hope the person in possession of the letter is identified, but not the 5th victim.

It seems by the story that the person has a lawyer and is trying to 'sell' the letter. So it is definitely a financial motivation to this.

I think if they were so over it already and "dealt" with it. Then it shouldn't have been SOOO emotional (for Jill at least) for it all to come out. Why did she call Derick freaking out if that was the case? Only the fact that it could mean their TV demise. OR...she isn't really over it..

A very productive expose would be on the Gothard Cult. That is something that might do some small amount of good. That is at the root of this whole mess. :(

A very productive expose would be on the Gothard Cult. That is something that might do some small amount of good. That is at the root of this whole mess. :(

ABSOLUTELY!

AND... that is why there should not be a spin off. These girls are deeply entrenched and their behaviors are set to expose yet another generation to the dysfunction of a severely limiting upbringing.

Society does not need more people who do not have the tools to take care of themselves.

ETA: why didn't the police obtain that letter? Wouldn't it have been evidence?

I believe the story is that Oprah's people faxed the letter to the local police which is what generated the investigation.

In Touch did not gain access to the entire police file. Just the incident summary that they were required to produce when they received the Freedom of Information request.

I thought Oprah was contacted about the molestation, and that the letter in the book was something different.....I didn't get that Oprah saw that letter.

But I could be wrong. :oops:

I think if they were so over it already and "dealt" with it. Then it shouldn't have been SOOO emotional (for Jill at least) for it all to come out. Why did she call Derick freaking out if that was the case? Only the fact that it could mean their TV demise. OR...she isn't really over it..

I am emotionally and mentally over the abuse that has happened to me in the past. HOWEVER, I would never want people to know it happened without ME telling them specifically. I would freak out if the media found out and announced it to the world without my consent.

It's not a matter of not being over it, it's a matter of how people treat you, it's a matter of privacy, and it's a matter of feeling violated.

I thought Oprah was contacted about the molestation, and that the letter in the book was something different.....I didn't get that Oprah saw that letter.

But I could be wrong. :oops:

I thought the email talked about the letter and the police got the letter after Oprah notified them.

ABSOLUTELY!

AND... that is why there should not be a spin off. These girls are deeply entrenched and their behaviors are set to expose yet another generation to the dysfunction of a severely limiting upbringing.

Society does not need more people who do not have the tools to take care of themselves.

I said it before and I'll probably say it again, the only spin off I want to see is one where the kids who want out are allowed to be free. And it's about them surviving outside the cult.

However, even then, I don't think a show would be a good idea. Maybe if it was "down the road, showing how they've adjusted to life outside the cult," but nothing immediate.

Archived