IGNORED

Are Lina and Love planning to move to Israel?

Beeks

Tefilin barbie is kind of ruined for me becuase of her shiksa blue eyes and blonde hair. and yeah I know there's a few blond haired blue eyed Jews out there but it's a bit jarring.

As for Lina and her Love (heee) I think she'd be best off finding a messianic jew community in the US. I doubt they'd find much love from orthodox communites in isreal and they wouldn't fit in with the secular groups either. Are there any sizable commmunities of messianic jews in isreal?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do get nervous before praying at the airport--I try to look as friendly as possible so people don't freak out. Praying + air travel aren't the best combination these days:)

There's more than a few blond haired, blue eyed Jews- one of my best college friends has blond hair, blue eyes and never gets stopped by the Chabadniks in NYC, but she's Jewish from birth. There also seems to be a proliferation of red haired Jews, for some reason, which I never would have suspected before I started spending time in Jewish circles. In any case, I've seen Jews of pretty much every color, and while a Jew is still a Jew with blond hair, I'm not sure Barbie would be Barbie without it.

Also, can we not use the word "shiksa"? It's really pretty offensive; there's a good rundown of why here, but the short version is that the most common translation of "shiksa" is "abomination," and the other two are "impure" and "object of loathing." Aside from the fact that I used to be a so-called "shiksa," it's a pretty terrible thing to call someone; right up there with "fag" or other slurs of that nature, IMHO, but it's easier to get away with using it because most people don't know its actual meaning. I don't think it's great to around a word that's both racist and misogynistic.

There's more than a few blond haired, blue eyed Jews- one of my best college friends has blond hair, blue eyes and never gets stopped by the Chabadniks in NYC, but she's Jewish from birth. There also seems to be a proliferation of red haired Jews, for some reason, which I never would have suspected before I started spending time in Jewish circles. In any case, I've seen Jews of pretty much every color, and while a Jew is still a Jew with blond hair, I'm not sure Barbie would be Barbie without it.

Also, can we not use the word "shiksa"? It's really pretty offensive; there's a good rundown of why here, but the short version is that the most common translation of "shiksa" is "abomination," and the other two are "impure" and "object of loathing." Aside from the fact that I used to be a so-called "shiksa," it's a pretty terrible thing to call someone; right up there with "fag" or other slurs of that nature, IMHO, but it's easier to get away with using it because most people don't know its actual meaning. I don't think it's great to around a word that's both racist and misogynistic.

+1

And also, this sort of drives home my point in the other thread that some of us who fall out of what is the expected look get judged as not actually a Jew. So I appreciate your comments faustian.

Archived