IGNORED

Another SAHD

PharmDMommy

Wow, that was depressing. The story about how she glued a picture of a college graduate to her folder when she was seven broke my heart! Like I always say about SAHD's, I'm pretty sure I'd quit my two lame summer jobs tomorrow if my parents let me hang out all day and scrapbook. I just wouldn't say I was doing it for Jesus. :roll:

On a mean-girl note: yeah, she does look old. It's the lipstick; WHO wears actual lipstick in her teens?!

I thought she looked much older as well! in the pictures on the top of the post "8 years" "14 years" and "19 years", I thought she looked at least late twenties/early thirties in the 19 year old one...

It's kinda weird... most SAHD's that I know either look way to old for their ages (like the same age as their moms) or look way too YOUNG for their ages (like 12 years old). Is there no middle ground? :-P

I thought she looked much older as well! in the pictures on the top of the post "8 years" "14 years" and "19 years", I thought she looked at least late twenties/early thirties in the 19 year old one...

Me too. I would have guessed 19 at the 14 y/o one and mid-late 20s at the current pic.

If not for the music thing and people seemingly knowing them, I'd think this was some sort of PR set up for a book or writing career or something, but it seems legit.

I do love how she's all against college and careers, but she seems to be marketing her webdesign business pretty solidly (she's on LinkedIn, even) and getting around with the article writing, too. In other words, she's developing the skills and promoting herself to the point that she may be able to make a living from home freelancing, which so many SAHD will not be in a position to do.

The saddest part of the post for me was when she used scare quotes around women's "rights". Poor thing has already been brainwashed into thinking she doesn't deserve to have any voice at all. It just seems like she's setting herself up to be taken advantage of.

Who is "the elderly man" who lives with them? Former roadie? Package deal with the RV?

Guest Anonymous
Wow, that was depressing. The story about how she glued a picture of a college graduate to her folder when she was seven broke my heart! Like I always say about SAHD's, I'm pretty sure I'd quit my two lame summer jobs tomorrow if my parents let me hang out all day and scrapbook. I just wouldn't say I was doing it for Jesus. :roll:

On a mean-girl note: yeah, she does look old. It's the lipstick; WHO wears actual lipstick in her teens?!

In the 12 years between the time she was seven and now, when she's nineteen, her parents had plenty of time and opportunity to break down her resolve. I don't think this is all her own doing. Her parents probably drummed it into her from an early age that getting educated or holding a job is ungodly and that she's selfish for wanting anything of her own. It sounds like she has convinced herself, with her parents eagerly reinforcing her, to settle for SAHD-hood. Her parents are worse, for actually inducing her to sit around at home. Maybe she's making a virtue out of necessity.

Crazy.

And actual graphic design does require formal education, along with a major investment in equipment and software. My son-in-law is about halfway through his master's program in graphic design.

Not only does her 19-year-old picture make her look 30, her smile is more of a forced grimace.

Barfolcopter.

"How big is your God? Can you trust Him to provide...?"

Yes, I do trust God to provide. God provided me with a brain and the opportunity to go to college, then on to law school. God provided me with these opportunities so that, even though I am currently a SAHM, if ANYTHING were to happen to my husband or his job, our sons would not suffer. I would be able to support the family and we wouldn't have to rely on family, friends or anyone else to provide for us.

Why does "trusting God" = sit back and twiddle your thumbs and just hope it all works out?

God helps those who help themselves.

I love the way she's adoring her father in the photo. :puke-front:

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood this morning, but her writing style seems really annoying to me!

It often cracks me up that I (a Christian, but feminist girl who went to college and dated and lived away from home and did as I pleased) got engaged and married at 20 and all of these more conservative, supposedly more holy SAHDs are not getting married early like they want to do!

Not only does her 19-year-old picture make her look 30, her smile is more of a forced grimace.

:text-yeahthat:

Can we say, FAKE?

You can almost hear the chant going through her head 'I am happy, I m happy, I am happy, I am happy, dammit!'

Crazy.

And actual graphic design does require formal education, along with a major investment in equipment and software. My son-in-law is about halfway through his master's program in graphic design.

Yes, my sister's BA is in fine art/graphic design. She works for a major company now, but it took a lot of work to get there.

actual graphic design does require formal education

Not if you're just prettying up Blogger or LiveJournal backgrounds for your friends and family. Look! I put dandelions in your background!

Seriously, though, I'm old enough to have been around long before the Internet was publicly accessible, and I learned all my web skills on the job by being part of the team that designed the first website for a major public entity, because we pretty much had to code everything by hand anyway. And I learned how to create online documentation the same way, because back then, there were no commercial tools available - we had to build it ourselves. And you can still learn all that on your own, IF you are motivated and smart. But good luck getting a job in that field without some sort of formal training today -- because companies want to know that someone has vetted your skills, so to speak, and that you're doing tasks in the most efficient manner and in a way that makes sense for the company (meaning technical support, updates, content management, SEO, etc.). They don't want the teenager who writes hashed-up code that works, but which can't be understood or edited easily by anyone else, or who can do great Flash animation, but has no idea how to set up and manage a storefront.

But if you're just building simple little websites for your buds with one of the many now-excellent tool suites out there, like Adobe CS, then yeah, you could build a home business off of that. I do informational websites for a few friends, not as a business, but just for fun. But I don't do stuff like storefronts, where things get complicated very quickly.

Wow. I hope she doesn't sprain her elbow with all that patting herself on the back she's doing.

Seriously, it sounds more like she's trying to convince herself that she's made the right choice and the only Godly choice and oh, it doesn't matter that she might actually have wanted to do something ELSE once upon a time, because she's going to practice shutting up and submitting to her parents and that's all she really needs to do.

"never in Scripture do we find women providing for themselves or their family. The Lord has always provided masculine protection and provision for women."

Wait, what?

Book. Of. Ruth.

"never in Scripture do we find women providing for themselves or their family. The Lord has always provided masculine protection and provision for women."

Wait, what?

Book. Of. Ruth.

YES!! Thank you. Ruth, Deborah, Esther, Abigail...hello fundies, read the Bible!!

Guest Anonymous

YES!! Thank you. Ruth, Deborah, Esther, Abigail...hello fundies, read the Bible!!

Also Lydia the seller of purple cloth and Dorcas

Do these women even READ Scripture? Even the Scripture that they claim to base their lives on, like Titus 2 or Proverbs 31 (below)???

"She considers a field and buys it;

out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.

17 She sets about her work vigorously;

her arms are strong for her tasks.

18 She sees that her trading is profitable,

and her lamp does not go out at night. "

HELLO! If you're going to wax poetic about how "Biblical" your life is, maybe you should actually read the Bible, rather than Daddy-approved books ABOUT the Bible. Seriously, what do these families actually DO during their "family Bible times" and their "Scripture memorization" sessions?

Archived