IGNORED

Christians rejoice in ISIS

Rachel333

EH?

What on earth does that even mean?

{L_OFFTOPIC} :
WTF?? THE CANNED CHICKEN IS BACK! Please, think of the children!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EH?

What on earth does that even mean?

it means that they are God's Chosen people and should be respected and not messed with. Also they should be defended against those who come against them.

Or you could just use less lengthy discourse and admit it was crap?

Ok, sure, the title was crap. I wasn't trying to get around that, but I like discussing these things and you're right, I write too much because I personally don't like brusqueness.

Ok, sure, the title was crap. I wasn't trying to get around that, but I like discussing these things and you're right, I write too much because I personally don't like brusqueness.

Fair play.

But using family or demographic when discussing global issues? Probably going to be problematic. Especially when so sensitive. My parents say stuff all the time. I respect and nod. You know?

I love discussing global issues and especially seeing how other countries see the same issues. This issue certainly affects all countries.

it means that they are God's Chosen people and should be respected and not messed with. Also they should be defended against those who come against them.

I have no idea what you are trying to say here except you hold one religion above any other which to me is always very dangerous.

I will translate that into human speak. You believe some humans on earth are more special than other humans.

{L_OFFTOPIC} :
WTF?? THE CANNED CHICKEN IS BACK! Please, think of the children!

Indeed. :D Eat ma wings bitch :lol:

Have you all seen this one?

missionary-impossible.com/2015/02/the-sauls-waiting-to-become-pauls/

It popped up on my facebook last week a few times by conservative friends that I think may know the writer. I thought it was a sweet sentiment but continued down the path of become a christian and it will all be ok and fine forever. Not as terrible as the above mentioned comment but still a fundie (lite?) response.

Guess i'm getting old and jaded, but this stupid rapture discussion happened bigtime back in the '80's. I can still remember being terrified as a little kid when i overheard my parents talking to friends about how they would run with us all toward a nuke attack. It was just my dad's offhand remark about how in the world could they go on if something catastrophic took place, but to me i thought he was serious and something like that happening was a real possibility.

And here it is, 30 years later and we've all had our lives to live. The stupid crippling fear of the unknown benefited no one, except the people with books to sell and prep crap to peddle.

{L_OFFTOPIC} :
There's even a story in a CLP curriculum workbook (iirc that's where it was) about a future where automated household equipment goes on without people to run it after a nuclear holocaust. In the workbook, that story ends with no positive spin or resolution. It's just a poorly-written story with a bleak hopeless ending, probably written by some mennonite guy who never saw a single second of good sci-fi. :lol: Even back then it bothered me. I hate unfounded extrapolation. (From these books: clp.org/store/by_subject/6 i think it was in workbook 1209. Reading the titles to these workbooks now i'm horrified by my stunted education) And the computer science elective workbooks were hilariously basic too. Bring punch cards. (not really but almost) lol /sarcasm

I wish these rapture-believing people would stop trying to predict the future based on Mayan-era ancient texts (translated and re-translated) and just focus on what's current and how to improve things in the immediate situation. They're 1) Profiting from the scare by selling things or getting donations. 2) Making the problem worse by riling up the easily influenced to knee-jerk reactions.

The things going on in the middle east are interesting but it doesn't make sense how it threatens the entire world. I mean, besides the fact that they're the spark that could ignite a blaze, considering allies and other interests. With oil prices down they're defunded, so that's good at least.

I don't know much but I do get sick of people like Franklin Graham and others gripping believers in paralyzing fear. Deer in the headlights. I hated that feeling of terror when i was a child. I won't allow it to happen to my kids before they're old enough to see the bigger picture.

Thread titles are headlines; if successful, they capture your attention and you read on to find out more. I assume that most fj readers are critical thinkers and are already aware of the immense variety of Christian thought and practice and I'll leave it at that.

Coco:

We lived in Anchorage, Alaska (my dad was stationed there in the military) during the height of the Russian nuke scare in the 1950s. The "duck and cover" exercises where we cowered under our desks for protection in case of nuclear attacks are laughable now but scary for kids. Nuclear attacks seemed a definite possibility then, if not imminent at times (even if we couldn't see Russia from our house).

Like paranoiacs and conspiracy nuts, some personalities are prone to promoting end of the world thinking and some personalities are prone to believing it; this type of thinking isn't limited to American Christians. That said, the person quoted who is excited about the pending rapture would be much less excited if s/he were an ISIS captive facing imminent martyrdom or had just been sold into human slavery.

PSA: Edited to note that I just got back from reading the Wikipedia Duck and Cover entry and I'm not laughing now. Worth a read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_and_cover

During the 2013 Chelyabinsk meteor explosion, a fourth-grade teacher in Chelyabinsk, Yulia Karbysheva, saved 44 children from potentially life-threatening ballistic window glass cuts by ordering them to hide under their desks when she saw the flash. Despite not knowing the origin of the intense flash of light, she ordered her students to execute a duck and cover drill. Ms. Karbysheva, who herself did not duck and cover but remained standing, was seriously lacerated when the explosion's blast wave arrived, and window glass blew in, severing a tendon in one of her arms; however, not one of her students, who she ordered to hide under their desks, suffered a cut.[43] A follow up study of the effects of the meteor airburst determined that the windows most prone to breaking when exposed to a blast overpressure are those of school buildings, which tend to be large in area.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2015/03/01/a-most-unsettling-trend-christians-rejoicing-in-isis/

Now as far as the people who actually lost family members to ISIS go, they can pretty much say whatever they want and I'm not going to criticize how they cope, but some of the comments from American Christians were a bit unsettling. They really believe that ISIS is serving to hasten the apocalypse.

A few of the many comments quoted in the above post:

:?

Well, this is gut wrenching.

I have no idea what you are trying to say here except you hold one religion above any other which to me is always very dangerous.

I will translate that into human speak. You believe some humans on earth are more special than other humans.

This is how I was raised. It was really weird because we were told that Jewish people rejected God, hardened their hearts and are going to hell, but at the same time we were told they were more special than any other people in the world and we must always side with them. We were supposed to try and save them from their Jewish beliefs, but we couldn't save too many because we needed them to go back to Israel and rebuild the temple so that Jesus could return. If we converted them all to Christianity they might go back and build a church and then that would fuck the prophecy right up.

I know people who don't really rejoice in ISIS, they think ISIS is evil, but they are excited because they think ISIS is ushering in the End Times and Jesus coming back to sweep them up into the air.

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
Example of a FB post about ISIS from a relative "Exciting times right now! I got my flying shoes on because Jesus will be calling Believers home soon. He is coming, He is coming and I can't wait! Are you ready?"
:roll:

This is how I was raised. It was really weird because we were told that Jewish people rejected God, hardened their hearts and are going to hell, but at the same time we were told they were more special than any other people in the world and we must always side with them. We were supposed to try and save them from their Jewish beliefs, but we couldn't save too many because we needed them to go back to Israel and rebuild the temple so that Jesus could return. If we converted them all to Christianity they might go back and build a church and then that would fuck the prophecy right up.

I know people who don't really rejoice in ISIS, they think ISIS is evil, but they are excited because they think ISIS is ushering in the End Times and Jesus coming back to sweep them up into the air.

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
Example of a FB post about ISIS from a relative "Exciting times right now! I got my flying shoes on because Jesus will be calling Believers home soon. He is coming, He is coming and I can't wait! Are you ready?"

Holy crap!!! That's actually horrendous! How on earth can people seriously believe this type of utter nonsense (obviously you don't anymore :) )

So from what you said save some but not all as they may be your golden ticket!!! Seriously patronising and morally reprehensible.

I sincerely hope that people have the intelligence to educate themselves rather than rely on faux news and other such sensationalist sources. For example Isis is against far more than Israel. Muslim, Christian, really anybody who stands in their way. Also many people other than Isis question Israeli politics so by the teaching you describe they are also evil? I tell you FG, it be a hot mess and explode does ma heid :lol:

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:

Holy crap!!! That's actually horrendous! How on earth can people seriously believe this type of utter nonsense (obviously you don't anymore :) )

So from what you said save some but not all as they may be your golden ticket!!! Seriously patronising and morally reprehensible.

I sincerely hope that people have the intelligence to educate themselves rather than rely on faux news and other such sensationalist sources. For example Isis is against far more than Israel. Muslim, Christian, really anybody who stands in their way. Also many people other than Isis question Israeli politics so by the teaching you describe they are also evil? I tell you FG, it be a hot mess and explode does ma heid :lol:

Indeed. :D Eat ma wings bitch :lol:

You are full of the devil, woman. Is that a new, higher res pic? I can see the goosebumps on the flesh now!

ETA: Missed you and your sharp little tongue. But not your chicken.

You are full of the devil, woman. Is that a new, higher res pic? I can see the goosebumps on the flesh now!

ETA: Missed you and your sharp little tongue. But not your chicken.

Hehe! The only way to get a true HD pic would be to buy a can and take a picture myself...... I just could not, I truly believe the sight and smell in reality would be something that could haunt forever : lol:

Sharp??? Moi??? I think my cultural bluntness may not translate well, it certainly has caused me issues on this site at times. I maybe should try a bit of sugar coating at times...... THE HORROR :lol:

People who believe that all the Jewish people need to go back to Israel and rebuild the temple so that Jesus can return don't word it that way, but that is what they really mean. They usually swear up and down that they just loooove the Jews. :roll:

You absolutely cannot have a discussion about Israel with people who believe this way because they firmly believe that anyone who criticizes Israeli politics or doesn't side with them is siding with the Satan. Everything must be done to support Israel so they can start rebuilding the temple. Because if they don't rebuild the temple Jesus can't come back.

Now it seems crazy to live every moment expecting to be swooped into the air to go to heaven, but I spent a good bit of my life switching between terror that the Rapture would happen and I would be left behind and praying for the Rapture to happen so that I could avoid doing something I didn't want to do. :lol:

People who believe that all the Jewish people need to go back to Israel and rebuild the temple so that Jesus can return don't word it that way, but that is what they really mean. They usually swear up and down that they just loooove the Jews. :roll:

You absolutely cannot have a discussion about Israel with people who believe this way because they firmly believe that anyone who criticizes Israeli politics or doesn't side with them is siding with the Satan. Everything must be done to support Israel so they can start rebuilding the temple. Because if they don't rebuild the temple Jesus can't come back.

Now it seems crazy to live every moment expecting to be swooped into the air to go to heaven, but I spent a good bit of my life switching between terror that the Rapture would happen and I would be left behind and praying for the Rapture to happen so that I could avoid doing something I didn't want to do. :lol:

Which is possibly why I am amazingly glad I found out about the rapture oh......about two years ago, the only tribulation I was aware of had Captain Kirk and some furry little dudes running around the Enterprise!

Back when the Gulf War began in 1990, I was attending an Independent Baptist church. The pastor called a special celebration service because the rapture was obviously imminent.

My then husband (who was an undiagnosed shizophrenic) was terrified that he was going to be left behind, & ended up at the ER because of an anxiety attack so bad he thought he was having a heart attack. (I'd love for someone to write a paper on that man & his fear & hate filled relationship with fundamentalism.)

Edited because I gave my opinion on the "God's Chosen People" business, & changed my mind. I will say that I have seemingly normal friends who go apeshit over any criticism of Israel, yet they still use ethnic slurs & stereotypes when discussing Jews here in the US.

the only tribulation I was aware of had Captain Kirk and some furry little dudes running around the Enterprise!

MAWek9h.jpg

christianpost.com/news/greg-laurie-on-end-times-isis-may-fulfill-bible-prophecy-us-needs-to-align-with-israel-in-last-days-130706/

Going through a list of promises, he said "Here's what God said – let's put it all together – Israel's going to be scattered, has that happened yet? Yes. Israel will be re-gathered again, has that happened yet? Yes. Israel will regain Jerusalem, has that happened yet? Again, yes. Israel will be isolated from the other nations of the world and will effectively stand alone, has that happened yet? Let's just say it's in process. Israel will be attacked by a large force to her north, has that happened yet? No, we're waiting on that still."

I remember listening to Greg Laurie on the radio. I imagine he is still on the local Christian radio that most Christians in this area listen to.

"The Trouble With Tribbles" is my favorite original Star Trek episode. How do you not love Vulcan whisperers? :mrgreen:

Archived