IGNORED

Christians rejoice in ISIS

Rachel333

The thing that scares me the most is that not only do some crazy Christians believe ISIS is a sign of the rapture, but ISIS themselves are convinced they are key actors in moving towards the end of times. :cray-cray:

To add: Muslim eschatology also involves a great deal of devastation. It is believed that at the time of judgment, terrible corruption and chaos will rule. And the terrorists of ISIS believe they are spreading this chaos. Not breaking the link because I don't think the business insider will mind: http://www.businessinsider.com/isis-is- ... me-2014-10

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only Isis that I love is dear, departed Isis, Lord Grantham's cream Labrador retriever on Downton Abbey.

People who believe that all the Jewish people need to go back to Israel and rebuild the temple so that Jesus can return don't word it that way, but that is what they really mean. They usually swear up and down that they just loooove the Jews. :roll:

You absolutely cannot have a discussion about Israel with people who believe this way because they firmly believe that anyone who criticizes Israeli politics or doesn't side with them is siding with the Satan. Everything must be done to support Israel so they can start rebuilding the temple. Because if they don't rebuild the temple Jesus can't come back.

Now it seems crazy to live every moment expecting to be swooped into the air to go to heaven, but I spent a good bit of my life switching between terror that the Rapture would happen and I would be left behind and praying for the Rapture to happen so that I could avoid doing something I didn't want to do. :lol:

FG! Whiner Lady of the teeny tiny laundry? She who hates gays, loves her guns, has a love for the confederate flag, home schools because the govt. is trying to brainwash her kids. Loves fox news and hates Obama...Oh the list is endless. Yesterday on her IG she posted the Israeli flag with the legend 'I stand with Israel!' :lol: I immediately thought of you and your enlightening post 8-)

The only Isis that I love is dear, departed Isis, Lord Grantham's cream Labrador retriever on Downton Abbey.

Cheers!!

FG! Whiner Lady of the teeny tiny laundry? She who hates gays, loves her guns, has a love for the confederate flag, home schools because the govt. is trying to brainwash her kids. Loves fox news and hates Obama...Oh the list is endless. Yesterday on her IG she posted the Israeli flag with the legend 'I stand with Israel!' :lol: I immediately thought of you and your enlightening post 8-)

Now you know why she is probably standing with Israel. Or she could be one of those people who don't exactly know why they are supposed to stand with Israel, but they have been told that they have to do so and mindlessly go along with it.

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
I had a conversation with a young relative who just found Jesus and was posting stuff like that on FB. He had no clue, he had just heard his church say that America must side with Israel and it was wrong to not do so. He ended up saying he was pretty sure that the Bible told America that they always had to support Israel no matter what they were doing and I was wrong for even asking questions about it.

I can very well understand that someone living in our world and society develops a strong wish if not hope that Jesus will soon come down to bring them into a better world.

The trouble is that many christians have been told that this will only happen after things have gotten much worse. So the outcome of this is that there are people who rejoice at tragic world affairs.

But you all probably already knew this.

I have this picture in my mind of people throwing their hands up in the air and shouting "Halleluja, praise the lord!" while the earth below them cracks open.

Why would anyone want people to rejoice in the end of the world?

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
I have memories of past lives (Well at least that's what I am sure about. I know that most of you don't believe me.) and I found out that my soul used to live on a planet that broke apart.

I don't know exactly what caused the destruction but I am certain that it was caused by the people that lived on that planet. I have memories of me being there and experiencing it. It was not nice and I wasn't "raptured". Maybe after I had died I actually was in heaven for a while but I came back and reincarnated on this beautiful planet here.

The same could happen on earth and at it stirs me up inside that there are people on this world that have been conditionend to believe that this would actually be a good thing.

but ISIS themselves are convinced they are key actors in moving towards the end of times. :cray-cray:

To add: Muslim eschatology also involves a great deal of devastation. It is believed that at the time of judgment, terrible corruption and chaos will rule. And the terrorists of ISIS believe they are spreading this chaos.

This is very true. ISIS believes it can bring about the end of times with what it's doing.

I agree. ISIS is a cancer.

another thing I meant to add, in the Muslim belief of the end of times signs, Iraq and Syria feature a bit so its no wonder that Iraq and Syria is where, unfortunately, ISIS decides to focus on. It is where they believe the end of times will start from.

{L_OFFTOPIC} :
There's even a story in a CLP curriculum workbook (iirc that's where it was) about a future where automated household equipment goes on without people to run it after a nuclear holocaust. In the workbook, that story ends with no positive spin or resolution. It's just a poorly-written story with a bleak hopeless ending, probably written by some mennonite guy who never saw a single second of good sci-fi. :lol: Even back then it bothered me. I hate unfounded extrapolation. (From these books: clp.org/store/by_subject/6 i think it was in workbook 1209. Reading the titles to these workbooks now i'm horrified by my stunted education) And the computer science elective workbooks were hilariously basic too. Bring punch cards. (not really but almost) lol /sarcasm

Are you referring to There Will Come Soft Rains by Ray Bradbury, from The Martian Chronicles????

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzbtlcA ... edit?pli=1

People who believe that all the Jewish people need to go back to Israel and rebuild the temple so that Jesus can return don't word it that way, but that is what they really mean. They usually swear up and down that they just loooove the Jews. :roll:

You absolutely cannot have a discussion about Israel with people who believe this way because they firmly believe that anyone who criticizes Israeli politics or doesn't side with them is siding with the Satan. Everything must be done to support Israel so they can start rebuilding the temple. Because if they don't rebuild the temple Jesus can't come back.

Now it seems crazy to live every moment expecting to be swooped into the air to go to heaven, but I spent a good bit of my life switching between terror that the Rapture would happen and I would be left behind and praying for the Rapture to happen so that I could avoid doing something I didn't want to do. :lol:

Oh, my gosh. Yes!!! :angry-banghead: :pull-hair: :shrug: :geek: :clap:

QFT. This is also why some Christian groups actually advocate for and provide funds for aliyah as well as aid to Israeli cities like Ariel (actually over the green line).

Here's a good news article providing background:

http://www.timesofisrael.com/christian- ... ares-jews/

Interesting article.

IME, Israelis are largely unconcerned about the source of funds or support. They are a bit puzzled by the Christians, but grateful for the support they get. The theological reasons for the support generally don't bother them - it just sort of translates as "they have their own weird religious reasons for supporting us and aren't asking for anything in return". They do learn about Christianity from a historical perspective (btw Girl 1 is learning about Christianity and Islam this week at her school, so we got pictures of her at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre and a mosque - I'll quiz her about what she learned when I see her), but don't learn the details of American Evangelical theology re the rapture. To a certain extent, most issues with other religious groups boil down to "Is this good for the Jews? How does this affect us?" So sure, saying that you believe that Jews need to be in Israel for Jesus to come back, or that Jews who don't believe in Jesus may go hell, sounds offensive, but if never believed in any of this, it doesn't hurt you.

I wonder if the evangelical support for Israel has triggered a backlash in the liberal denominations? From time to time, I see some IMHO bizarrely anti-Israel resolutions, and wonder if this is motivated by internal Christian politics.

I think BDD is making a lot of inroads in the liberal churches, putting them in opposition with Christian Zionism. Because Israel is the biggest evil and abuser in the world, dontcha know.

It's weird to me that people would not be bothered by taking money from people who see them as a means of bringing on the return of their messiah and the end times. Then again, not many Jews have read Revelation* and I get the impression that what happens when moshiach arrives is not a big thing or a known certainity in Judaism, and that the religion doesn't focus on that but on the here and now (olam hazeh).

* Not all Christians believe Revelation is literal prophecy, seeing it instead that as a coded letter to churches enduring persecution in Roman times. That blew my mind when I first heard it.

Most Israelis don't care about the theological reasons, as long as there are no negative consequences for them now.

If these fundie Christian groups demanded social changes, like some of the Haredi parties do, there would be an outcry. So far, though, they aren't demanding an end to abortion or gay rights. It's just tons of free money with no strings attached, and not many people would give that up.

In general, I don't see Israelis thinking that theological differences with other religions are a problem, or that theological similarities mean that there won't be problems. Most will tell you that Islam and Judaism have far more in common theologically with each other than either does with Christianity. OTOH, you'd think that Hindu theology would be a real problem because of idolatry, but Jewish-Hindu relations are great.

Archived