IGNORED

Jessa Hate Liberal Christians! You are going to HELL! MERGED

notsocommon

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Josh once said in an interview that his parents expected the kids to deal with their disagreements themselves and they had zero tolerance for tattle tales, so it makes sense to me that when Jana bothered them with her issues with Jessa, they chose to punish Jana.

This rings a bell. The Duggars became so successful not in spite of their shitty dysfunctional family, but because most people don't know they are shitty and dysfunctional. I would guess based off leghumper comments that most fans watch the show very casually and don't pay attention to red flags like that.

Jessa needs to read her own fucking book. She (they) writes an entire section on not being judgmental...and even use the correct spelling (thanks, editor!).

FWIW, I found our ride.

hell-bus.JPG

Yup, pretty much. I'm the worst. But not THE WORST...I would never beat my child with a wooden spoon.

Josh once said in an interview that his parents expected the kids to deal with their disagreements themselves and they had zero tolerance for tattle tales, so it makes sense to me that when Jana bothered them with her issues with Jessa, they chose to punish Jana.

In a different interview, Michelle stated directly that, in the Duggar household, you don't get in trouble for being wrong - you get in trouble for showing excessive amounts of emotion. This includes being angry over any issue, bursting into tears, lashing out at anyone in anger, etc. Whatever the problem is, according to Michelle, you talk amongst yourselves, use soft voices, and you work the issue out on your own.

This is why I've always believed that Jana got upset and became emotional when Jessa teased her so many years ago, and why I think there's a good chance that Jim Bob and Michelle punished Jana for her excessive emotion by forcing her to hand over the jewelry box. I could be wrong, but why would Jana cry about the incident so many years later after she became a fully grown woman?

I also don't believe for a moment that Jana just eventually gave the box to Jessa on her own at a later time, as Jessa claims in her interview at the conference. If that was true, Jana wouldn't have been so miserable when she told the story to an audience.

The thing is, there are some parts of what Michelle said, that I do agree with. I think it is always good if kids can be encouraged to work things out, and be respectful of one another while doing so. But I think they take this idea, which is good at its core, and then overlay it with all the "keep sweet" bull shit and it ends up perverting a good rule of thumb, into a legalistic, emotion denying nightmare.

There is a difference between denying emotions, vs. learning how to manage emotions. In most situations in life, we don't want to be ruled by our emotions alone, but think how much more rich and satisfying our life is when we naturally experience them. And we become much more confident and competent individuals when we learn to manage them, and also pay attention to them because often our emotional response can be a key to a better understanding and insight

The thing is, there are some parts of what Michelle said, that I do agree with. I think it is always good if kids can be encouraged to work things out, and be respectful of one another while doing so. But I think they take this idea, which is good at its core, and then overlay it with all the "keep sweet" bull shit and it ends up perverting a good rule of thumb, into a legalistic, emotion denying nightmare.

There is a difference between denying emotions, vs. learning how to manage emotions. In most situations in life, we don't want to be ruled by our emotions alone, but think how much more rich and satisfying our life is when we naturally experience them. And we become much more confident and competent individuals when we learn to manage them, and also pay attention to them because often our emotional response can be a key to a better understanding and insight

Yep- and a developing mind is not the same as an adult mind.

Michelle's approach was based on what was easiest for the parents. She wanted the kids to work it out without involving she or JB. She also wanted the kids to be at the mature thinking stage without laying the foundation (she and JB, not the kids figuring it out themselves) for such maturation.

Such a cruel reality that among the most disengaged, lazy, under involved by choice couple, are the ones that felt the need to birth 19 children.

Oh you mean like this nauseating look of everything that falls out of my headships mouth is so wise:

ick2_zpsa3zefdyc.jpg

Just like dear ol' mom & dad

ick1_zpstewyvzra.jpg

J'chelle's face is WAY worse than Jill's. for one, J and D are both smiling at each other...J'chelle is just scary.

J'chelle's face is WAY worse than Jill's. for one, J and D are both smiling at each other...J'chelle is just scary.

Jill looks like she means it, plus Derick is looking at her with the same expression. They are also in a different type setting.

Michelle looks plastic, both she and Jim Bob look fake fake fake, but they are clearly on a stage somewhere and playing roles to the hilt. Blech.

Jill looks like she means it, plus Derick is looking at her with the same expression. They are also in a different type setting.

Michelle looks plastic, both she and Jim Bob look fake fake fake, but they are clearly on a stage somewhere and playing roles to the hilt. Blech.

I agree with your take of the pictures. Nothing wrong with significant others looking at each other adoringly. Michelle's look, OTOH, creeps me out...

I think that pic of the Dillards is adorable. They are really good together, though I wish JB hadn't corrupted Derick. :angry-banghead:

I agree with your take of the pictures. Nothing wrong with significant others looking at each other adoringly. Michelle's look, OTOH, creeps me out...

The problem with M and JB photo is that he is not focused on her at all. She looks likes she desperately wants him to glance her way. Jill and Derick's photo is a picture of them. JB and M's was a photo of him, probably at a speaking engagement, where she was included in the shot. 2 totally different kinds of pictures.

Jessa needs to read her own fucking book. She (they) writes an entire section on not being judgmental...and even use the correct spelling (thanks, editor!).

Wasn't "Growing Up Duggar ghost written? If so, how much of the content came from them?

Wasn't "Growing Up Duggar ghost written? If so, how much of the content came from them?

Not that I'm aware of. It's written in the first person with parenthesis indicating who is "speaking" or sharing a story.

Is the gazing thing they do at their husbands when they talk a rule set by Bill Gothard? I could find parallels with just about everything they do but I can't remember finding anything about that. But it seems like even the Bates do the same thing. I never noticed them gazing at a sibling while they talk either.

Is the gazing thing they do at their husbands when they talk a rule set by Bill Gothard? I could find parallels with just about everything they do but I can't remember finding anything about that. But it seems like even the Bates do the same thing. I never noticed them gazing at a sibling while they talk either.

Doesn't Jana gaze a lot in the TH'S? I'm not sure if any of the other siblings do, I just notice when she does because she hardly ever talks in her TH'S lol.

Yup, pretty much. I'm the worst. But not THE WORST...I would never beat my child with a wooden spoon.

Rant time. One thing about certain religions that really gets my goat is the emphasis of orthodoxy (right belief) over orthopraxy (right works). To me the only ethics that can be measured is in terms of good deeds/compassion for all. I don't want to live in a world where a serial killer who repents late in life is seen as more respectable than a charitable, honest heathen. Being saved through faith alone sounds like a lazy cop-out for bastards who plan on abusing others anyway, like the Gothards or Jeffs.

Rant time. One thing about certain religions that really gets my goat is the emphasis of orthodoxy (right belief) over orthopraxy (right works). To me the only ethics that can be measured is in terms of good deeds/compassion for all. I don't want to live in a world where a serial killer who repents late in life is seen as more respectable than a charitable, honest heathen. Being saved through faith alone sounds like a lazy cop-out for bastards who plan on abusing others anyway, like the Gothards or Jeffs.

Agree 100% DH and I are agnostist/atheist and plan our raising our child(ren) morally and ethically. "Treat others the way you want to be treated" is my motto. Seems to me, very often, Christians are the least christ-like people.

I always thought of emphasizing orthopraxy over orthodoxy as being like the legalists who think you're going to hell because you're using the wrong hymn book, but I was thinking about it a few weeks ago and realized emphasizing orthopraxy could be seen in a more positive way as well. I guess it depends on what "right works" you're emphasizing.

Agree 100% DH and I are agnostist/atheist and plan our raising our child(ren) morally and ethically. "Treat others the way you want to be treated" is my motto. Seems to me, very often, Christians are the least christ-like people.

I kinda agree I'm not really sure what I am but I do know I never felt more judged than when my family would be a church growing up.

With her sheltered upbringing I doubt Jessa would know a liberal Christian by seeing or talking to one. My guess is she has a sibling or two who secretly believes themselves to be liberal Christians. Just because they tow the party line doesn't mean their brains have shut down.

Archived