IGNORED

Would Fundies Allow Abortion in THIS Case?

Ralar

The wasn't born pregnant, per se. She absorbed two other fetuses (her twin and triplet? Not sure how to phrase it!) in utero. It's very rare but can happen to boy babies as well.

that would burn out a few fundy brain cells. who are they going to blame as the father?

Jesus, of course! How else could the baby have gotten pregnant. Jesus did it. I guess in that case, my initial question was stupid. No way would fundies allow the evil doctors to abort Jesus' baby.

I think that was an episode of Strong Medicine, where a boy is born with an absorbed fetus and pro-life groups protest the operation to remove it.

I can't decide if I find this gross or fascinating.

The fetus is (always) already dead when the child is born, so I think it was a silly direction for the writers to take the plot.

Simple answer - it isn't an abortion. Teratomas fail to progress. Otherwise, the surviving fetus wouldn't be surviving.

Calling it a pregnancy isn't correct in the first place. Something goes wrong early in cell division. They were her siblings and as someone else said, it could happen with a boy too. That article was all over Facebook, calling it a pregnancy drives me nuts. That's not right!

My guess is that if they were told that the masses would impair a girl's future fertility if left in situ, they'd remove them quicker than you can say "jack rabbit."

Calling it a pregnancy isn't correct in the first place. Something goes wrong early in cell division. They were her siblings and as someone else said, it could happen with a boy too. That article was all over Facebook, calling it a pregnancy drives me nuts. That's not right!

Yes, but also considered that a pregnancy doesn't begin until the egg is implanted into the uterus, yet the anti-abortion movement thinks that "life begins at conception." The public in general is woefully illiterate about the science of pregnancy and that ignorance is being enshrined into law.

It's not a pregnancy, and the absorbed fetuses are dead dead dead (and have been for months) by the time the child is born.

It would be like Zsu refusing to give birth to her youngest because it would cause her other (dead!) fetus to be aborted (i.e. cause the dead fetus to be expelled). Fundies can lack critical thinking, but they would not rally to this cause under the banner of being anti-abortion. I mean, there may be a few outliers who think this is an actual pregnancy, but apparently that is not limited to fundies...

My guess is that if they were told that the masses would impair a girl's future fertility if left in situ, they'd remove them quicker than you can say "jack rabbit."

Agree!

Yeah, I wonder what people like The Duggar would do? Would they just let their newborn continue to carry the fetuses, until she died? Or, would they go with the World Health Organization's classification, and treat it as cancer?

I hope that people like the Duggars would get that there is no life or potential for life here. It's just a really really weird medical oddity.

Sadly, I think people like the Duggars would refuse to abort, and CPS would have to step in because not aborting 2 fetuses from a baby is guanteed death.

I would just like to add that the simultaneously inaccurate, illiterate and overly dramatic style of that article , and that whole site, and the other million sites just like it -- make me lose all hope for humanity. That is all.

Actually, that's not all. I can't decide which is worse :

Sites that are primarily legitimate news, like this, but that don't fact check?

Or the bazillion sites that are just random people posting whatever they want as news?

I think the former might be worse, because MOST people trust them.

Where the other sites, a tiny bit of digging shows they are just drivel. I don't know.

It said the fetuses were in her abdomen. So she did not actually have two tiny babies in her uterus, right? Since they were not alive I would think it would be okay to remove them. It would not be terminating a pregnancy. I can't see how even Michelle, the Pearls, DPIAT, or Gothard could object to that.

The thing I wonder isn't about really rare situations like this, but rather:

Suppose there is a foolproof genetic test to determine whether a fetus will be gay, lesbian, bi, or trans. Would fundies get the test, and would they abort if it came up "positive" for gay?

Suppose there is a foolproof genetic test to determine whether a fetus will be gay, lesbian, bi, or trans. Would fundies get the test, and would they abort if it came up "positive" for gay?

They probably wouldn't get the test in the first place. But they (or most, anyway) would not support abortion if the test were positive. Most fundies (some exceptions, like the WBC and PP) do not want gay people killed. They just want gay people to repent (if they think homosexuality is a choice) or live in celibacy (if they think that only homosexual ACTS are a sin). Even PP would not want abortion because he doesn't believe that people are born gay. It's a choice, and you would be killing someone for something they haven't done yet.

That is not even possible because all of the above are CHOICES! Not genetic, not chemical, not environmental, not anything but a choice to be gay, etc. So, no.

Archived