IGNORED

Fundie Politicians in the News

salex

Oh, the crazy is right up on the surface....

Today is Muslim capitol day in Texas.

Freshman state Rep. Molly White, R-Belton, is not in Austin today to celebrate Texas Muslim Capitol Day. But she left instructions for the staff in her Capitol office on how to handle visitors who are, including asking them to declare allegiance to the United States.

“I did leave an Israeli flag on the reception desk in my office with instructions to staff to ask representatives from the Muslim community to renounce Islamic terrorist groups and publicly announce allegiance to America and our laws,†she posted on Facebook. “We will see how long they stay in my office.â€

washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2015/01/29/texas-representative-to-staff-ask-muslim-visitors-to-pledge-allegiance/

And there were these charming Christians screaming at children singing the National ANthem... Including Christine Weick facebook.com/christine.weick who has been making her way around the country protesting Monster Energy Drink and crashing and interupting the interdenominational service at the National Cathedral -- and grabbing a mic today as well-- clearly she has followers.

liveleak.com/view?i=d7b_1422562836

Meanwhile, in Tennesee....

NASHVILLE Tennessee lawmakers had to be reassured this week that recent renovations at the state Capitol do not include a basin for Muslims to wash their feet before prayer.

The concerns came up after the nearly $16 million renovation of the 150-year-old building, which was mainly done to upgrade the electrical, mechanical and plumbing systems, including the replacement of a utility sink with a mop sink in the men's restroom.

The mop sink is positioned lower on the wall, apparently raising concern among some staffers who believed the sink was positioned in order for practicing Muslims to be able to wash their feet before praying, as is customary in Islam.

Republican Sen. Bill Ketron, R-Murfreesboro, confirmed that he had spoken to Senate Clerk Russell Humphrey about whether there were religious reasons for the new sink after the issue was raised by Rep. Judd Matheny, R-Tullahoma.

In response to concerns about the new sink, legislative administration director Connie Ridley wrote in an email, "I confirmed with the facility administrator for the State Capitol Complex that the floor-level sink installed in the men's restroom outside the House Chamber is for housekeeping use. It is, in layman's terms, a mop sink."

cbsnews.com/news/mop-sink-mistook-for-muslim-washbasin-in-tenn-building/

tulsaworld.com/news/government/state-rep-john-bennett-wants-muslim-group-to-condemn-part/article_6d70ea56-9b56-57eb-a20f-5e3f3498111d.html

Watch this video, where Rep. John Bennett and this woman have a the same conversation I had with some people on facebook.. (ie, he never answers her question on how what he wants will look in practice then someone else says Islam isn't a religion anyway so can't expect protection) [bBvideo 560,340:svr5nbol]http://www.tulsaworldtv.com/?ndn.trackingGroup=91468&ndn.siteSection=tulsa_nws_loc_sty_pp&ndn.videoId=28204896&freewheel=91468&sitesection=tulsa_nws_loc_sty_pp&vid=28204896[/bBvideo]

This politican used a state messaging system to say that unless certain Muslims repudiate parts of the Q'uran, they can't be trusted.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepage2/sta ... l?mode=jqm

But I find the talking points matching so well between this guy and the people on my fakebook disturbing. Even the arguments (you must be a liberal) (as a woman, you won't like it when they xyz) and no answer to how you ban a group of people without violence....

I lose heart sometimes. I wonder if the theonomists have already won....

Thanks for posting this; I read about it in the paper this morning. This happened in my city (Austin) and it is really disturbing to realize how many pig-ignorant and mean wingnuts (like Molly White) have been elected for this new legislative cycle. There always have been a few entertaining crazies in the Texas Lege, now bat-shit crazies are the new normal.

Edited to reflect that there was a large DPS* contingent present and they formed a line between the protesters and those speaking. I think the local TV stations covered this better than the newspaper.

As the rally began, protester Christine Weick, who had been posing as a participant, grabbed the microphone. “I proclaim the name of the Lord Jesus Christ over the Capitol of Texas. I stand against Islam and the false prophet Mohammad,†the 50-year-old from Michigan said. “Islam will never dominate the United States and by the grace of God, it will not dominate Texas.†The woman then walked away and joined the other protesters.

YouTube link if you want to actually watch this nut case in action:

Christine is the blond wearing a gray T-shirt, standing just behind the woman speaking at the podium. Note the truly revolting smirk just before she grabs the microphone.

*DPS = Department of Public Safety = highway patrol = generally badass, not quite Texas Rangers badass, but more so than regular police.

Sadly, the wingnuts in this county are far more vocal and organized. Sane, rational people are often of the opinion that some actions and behaviors are so beyond comprehension that action isn't necessary because "it could never happen here." And then it does…

Here is the video of her stealing the Mic in Austin. Law Enforcement comes and takes her away after she finishes her spiel (and after a near scuffle at the podium)

[bBvideo 560,340:2fggkxpm]http://video.dailycaller.com/Protester-Christine-Weick-Interrupts-Texas-Muslim-Capitol-Day-28452452[/bBvideo]

Later she screams the Lords Prayer in protest with a small group, and LE is between them and the steps. (in video already posted in first post)

Here is is at the National Cathedral interfaith service that was supposed to be by invitation only [bBvideo 560,340:2fggkxpm]

[/bBvideo] a few weeks ago.

What I'm reading and hearing about why this is "OK" and even good is that Islam is not a real religion, that only Christianity is protected by the Constitution, and that banning Islam not only is legal but must be done.

I find it amazing that the same people who freak about about FEMA camps, who compare the US government under Obama to Nazi Germany and who post "never again" regarding the treatment of the Jews in WWII don't see how they are promoting a path that almost assures "again."

Sadly, the wingnuts in this county are far more vocal and organized. Sane, rational people are often of the opinion that some actions and behaviors are so beyond comprehension that action isn't necessary because "it could never happen here." And then it does…

All it takes for stupid to win is for people of thought to do nothing.

Molly White has over 4000 likes on her FaceBook post, but she is being relentlessly hammered in the comments section by hundreds of people, although I suspect someone is assigned to constantly delete.

My favorite critical smack down of Molly White (a freshman in the Texas state House of Representatives) :

It's always fun to watch when the freshmen legislators come to Austin for their only term in office.

but I really like this comment as well:

You are NOT "standing for America" as you claim. You are defying the great ideas this nation was founded on. Freedom of religion is one of those. Your ignorant comment is not only offensive, it is accusatory to the group you asked to "renounce" terrorism. Perhaps you don't understand the word renounce. To "renounce" something, you have to be a part of or involved in it first. As a Marine veteran, it is my opinion that you do not value the freedom that is provided for you and seem to think it only applies to your biased/bigoted world views. If you TRULY care about America, I suggest you "renounce" your political involvement and leave it to those better suited to our nation.

Archived