IGNORED

For every fundie who thinks yoga is a pagan practice

2xx1xy1JD

I do yoga or exercise and physical therapy. For a long time, I had no clue it was a religious practice. Oh well, it works for me.

That was pretty funny!

Every now and then I go and try a yoga class at my gym (YMCA) I can never get into it, last time I found my instructors high heeld boots really distracting, as they clicked across the gym floor.

I have run into a couple people who said yoga was pagan. I said, no, it's actually Hindu. Then they say that is the same thing. I say no, actually Pagan and Hindu religions are very different and do not disrespect my bf's family's religion by calling it something it is not. They do not appreciate that very much. :lol:

Real yoga is actually a religious practice. The stuff at your local gym? Not so much.

Religious, maybe, but it's Hindu.

I so want to send that to my idiot sister-in-law the not-quite-certified-yoga teacher. (YA certification means nothing, btw, don't trust that piece of paper--she traded coffee beans for her last 100 practice hours and others in her group worked out their own deals as well).

But she recently lectured my husband about how she is very tired of people making fun of yoga because yoga is serious and no one should "laugh at the path of life".

Religious, maybe, but it's Hindu.

I used the snarky title because the fundies who say this call it pagan.

As far as I can tell, Pagan was used by Christians as an umbrella term for all non-Abrahamic religions. While there are neo-Pagans today, historically those who were Pagan wouldn't have identified as "Pagan", they would have identified as being part of whatever group they were.

I used the snarky title because the fundies who say this call it pagan.

As far as I can tell, Pagan was used by Christians as an umbrella term for all non-Abrahamic religions. While there are neo-Pagans today, historically those who were Pagan wouldn't have identified as "Pagan", they would have identified as being part of whatever group they were.

I think the Greeks and Romans used the term pagan and it basically meant "not like me"-- that included Christians.

That was funny! I got into yoga for a few months and knew it had religious ties but didn't focus on that. In a casual discussion at work, a coworker urgently warned me against yoga when I mentioned how relaxed and focused it made me feel. She warned me it was 'some freaky stuff, definitely not christian'. I was shocked into silence. :shock:

Archived