IGNORED

'boy who came back from Heaven' says he made up story MERGED

FundieWatcher

Isn't Butpo still a minor though? I mean, if he's still a child, of course he's gonna stick to his story. If he still sticks to it as an adult, then I will have different feelings.

He was 14 when all the movie promos were done last April, so likely 15 or turning 15 soon.

But Alex Malarkey who just denied his story publicly is only 16.

The difference seems to be the family situation. Malarkey's parents divorced and it is dad who sold the story. It sounds as if he is with mom who has helped him tell the truth now. The Burpo family, on the other hand, is together and all on board.

I still wonder if we won't hear the same from Colton Burpo in 10 or 15 years.

The mom also tried getting the book pulled for a long time.

I have had super-limited internet access this month, so I haven't read through to the end of the thread yet (so please forgive if this has already been mentioned), but...

I've read that the father made this all happen without consent of son or mother, possibly concurrently or following divorce. For personal reasons, I follow several domestic abuse blogs, and I thik I remember reading that this was an example of the divorced dad exploiting the family.

One very hard lesson I've learned over the last year, Evangelical Christianity is the perfect breeding ground for abusers of all sorts.

He was 14 when all the movie promos were done last April, so likely 15 or turning 15 soon.

But Alex Malarkey who just denied his story publicly is only 16.

The difference seems to be the family situation. Malarkey's parents divorced and it is dad who sold the story. It sounds as if he is with mom who has helped him tell the truth now. The Burpo family, on the other hand, is together and all on board.

I still wonder if we won't hear the same from Colton Burpo in 10 or 15 years.

What I thought was interesting in reading the moms blog post, and the son's recanting the story --- is that they both seemed mostly concerned that the story wasn't " biblically sound" . I wonder if the poor kid is being pressured or made to feel like he's going to hell based on the thoughts of a six year old who has just had a hugely traumatic experience.

Archived