IGNORED

Sister Wives: Kody the Idiot Divorces Meri to Marry Robyn

Eternalbluepearl

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not all nonprofits are charitable organizations. differencebetween.com/difference-between-charity-and-vs-non-profit/

And any charitable organization that can't get funds because of my post in a thread in this forum is probably run by twits in the first place. For that matter, any crook-and IMO that includes the Browns- can set up even a "charity" and milk it. I've worked for them.

Now can we go back to talking about the Browns? I'm looking forward to their explanation.

Yes, all nonprofits are public charities, foundations, political organizations, etc. That is why the organizations can claim tax-exempt status. Yes, there have been frauds set up but the filing regs usually make them pretty easy to find. Churches and weird ministries seem to be the most guilty of such malfeasance but Children's Wish Foundation and some of the telemarketing fundraising schemes do get away with questionable practices. An organization cannot organize and operate as a nonprofit under the law if it cannot in some way prove itself a public charity.

Eta: insurance companies, more often in the past, can be nonprofits; some community banks are, too. They don't accept donations, are not typical charities, but are set up for the common good.

I realize this is just a speculation on your part, but you can't simply make statements without any sort of basis in reality and not get questioned.

I work for a non-profit. We make things like guidance systems for Trident submarines. We are NOT a charitable organization.

But the organization can claim it is working for public safety and public good; that is part of the qualifier under the 27 subsections of section 501c. Zoos, hospitals, research centers, etc., organize under those guidelines, partially to be able to qualify for grants, deductibility for donors, and because they are working for a purpose towards the common good rather than profit. There are four or five organizational points the organization has to follow as well. The IRS uses the term "public charity" as a catch all to distinguish from not for profit, which is not the same thing, like a sewing club or an organized sewing clubs.

The article patsymar is citing has some factual errors, such as a charity runs with a voluntary work force, which is not true for most organizations, and yes, 501c3 do report all earnings through audit and filing a form called a 990 with the IRS. Is that article even from the U.S.?

Actually, are YOU from the U.S.? If not that might be the issue!!

Oh My God you're right. Everyone has been thinking along the lines of favorite, new, thin etc. but no, Robyn is his first true love. Brilliant!

I really wish someone would say this to. meri. :lol: :lol:

I really wish someone would say this to. meri. :lol: :lol:

I actually am starting to feel empathy in my cold heart toward Meri. It's a Valentine's miracle!

Not all nonprofits are charitable organizations. differencebetween.com/difference-between-charity-and-vs-non-profit/

And any charitable organization that can't get funds because of my post in a thread in this forum is probably run by twits in the first place. For that matter, any crook-and IMO that includes the Browns- can set up even a "charity" and milk it. I've worked for them.

Now can we go back to talking about the Browns? I'm looking forward to their explanation.

Are you for real? That " article" was clearly some really, really poor translation of a mish- mash of ideas that some random person strung together. When did people start taking this kind of crap seriously ?

And, obviously, it isn't one internet post that that changes people's opinions about a particular organization that isn't even part of the discussion. It's that kind of complete misinformation that sways people's beliefs about charities in general. Please though, enlighten me with the exact regulations that show that the Brown's in any possible way qualify for non-profit status for all their businesses and earnings.

You're right, of course, that they could set up a fraudulent charity if they were so inclined. They could go rob a bank too. People do both. Of course, a fake charity is, in my opinion, the more immoral of those two options......and if you've worked for fake charities - plural- I guess that says something doesn't it?

I work for a non-profit. We make things like guidance systems for Trident submarines. We are NOT a charitable organization.

No, but your company almost certainly exists entirely, or almost entirely, as a government sub-contractor and your business is likely classified as " being for the public good" and/or scientific research.

Not to continue the derailment of this thread, but I wonder if the nonprofit confusion is due to the fact that states make their own laws determining nonprofit status. Having 501c status with the IRS is a separate issue. So a company can legally be a nonprofit but not be tax exempt/501c. (This is alluded to in the article Patsymae posted which states that nonprofits and charities are taxed differently.) Nonprofits that are not 501c follow the rules of their state (and may or may not receive tax benefits within their state). They pay federal taxes the same as any other (for profit) corporation.

http://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Prof ... mpt-Status

Re: Christine: I, like many, have tended to be sympathetic to her situation and have not enjoyed the accusations of her being overly emotional, etc. However... I noticed something interesting a couple episodes ago.

Christine talked about how she initially felt hurt when Robyn started hiring her niece to babysit on occasion. She (Christine) lamented the fact that Robyn didn't rely on her (and Meri and Janelle) instead, that's supposed to be one of the benefits of their lifestyle, etc etc. Which, while a bit dramatic from an outside point of view, I understood what she was saying in the context of how this family reports itself to operate.

But then, Christine is so lost when Aspyn and Mykelti move out that she has to bring her mom in to LIVE IN HER HOUSE to help with the remaining kids. Again, a decision that, on its own, I understand, but seriously: she has ONE child below school age who needs typical constant little kid care, two tween/young teen girls, and a son who is almost a legal adult. Plus the two older girls (particularly Mykelti) seem to still be present, even if they don't actually live there. I get that it's probably hectic in her house, but how unmanageable could it be when 2 kids don't live there and 3 are old enough to have a degree of self sufficiency? Good on Christine for asking for another adult's help rather than burdening the older kids, but at the same time, with only one kid in need of constant care.... and no addressing really of how the other wives might feel about this, despite the fact that she herself was SO HURT by Robyn asking her niece to BABYSIT, never mind live there full time.

How does Kody factor into day to day care of the kids? Obviously he sleeps over wherever it is her turn, and I'd imagine would do things like eat dinner there, etc. But is he only helping with kids on that wife's day? For example, say it was his day/night with Meri. Hunter needs a ride to wrestling practice and Janelle is otherwise occupied. Would Janelle be able to ask Kody to do that, or would that be a no-no if it is not her night with him? So many questions...

Not to continue the derailment of this thread, but I wonder if the nonprofit confusion is due to the fact that states make their own laws determining nonprofit status. Having 501c status with the IRS is a separate issue. So a company can legally be a nonprofit but not be tax exempt/501c. (This is alluded to in the article Patsymae posted which states that nonprofits and charities are taxed differently.) Nonprofits that are not 501c follow the rules of their state (and may or may not receive tax benefits within their state). They pay federal taxes the same as any other (for profit) corporation.

http://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Prof ... mpt-Status

Except that is a type of business incorporation allowed by a few states and patsymae clearly said she did not mean incorporation.

Except that is a type of business incorporation allowed by a few states and patsymae clearly said she did not mean incorporation.

I meant a nonprofit corporation, and I although I actually do know what I am talking about I probably shouldn't have just thrown in a link to the first thing I came across-that was careless on my part. But since we've now moved into personal attacks--yeah, the fact that I discovered an organization was bogus does say a lot about me--I'll stop here. Clearly just not smart enough to engage, and wouldn't want to embarrass myself somewhere else. I'm sure that such considerate actions and personable approach makes people line up around the block to give money to your charitable organizations (which, once again, do not make up all nonprofit corporations).

I meant a nonprofit corporation, and I although I actually do know what I am talking about I probably shouldn't have just thrown in a link to the first thing I came across-that was careless on my part. But since we've now moved into personal attacks--yeah, the fact that I discovered an organization was bogus does say a lot about me--I'll stop here. Clearly just not smart enough to engage, and wouldn't want to embarrass myself somewhere else. I'm sure that such considerate actions and personable approach makes people line up around the block to give money to your charitable organizations (which, once again, do not make up all nonprofit corporations).

No. You still don't know what you are talking about. And if you're going to insist you do, with absolutely nothing to back that up, and throw around statements about how easy it is to be shady or how it's really easy to set one up, or how it must be a crappy organization if Internet misinformation could impact it :roll: . Plus working for multiple crooked organizations , yea, that's something to get called out on. And still, you have not given any concrete way that the Browns and their various businesses and assets would qualify for ANY sort of not for profit filing. None. Whether federal or in their state.

No. You still don't know what you are talking about. And if you're going to insist you do, with absolutely nothing to back that up, and throw around statements about how easy it is to be shady or how it's really easy to set one up, or how it must be a crappy organization if Internet misinformation could impact it :roll: . Plus working for multiple crooked organizations , yea, that's something to get called out on. And still, you have not given any concrete way that the Browns and their various businesses and assets would qualify for ANY sort of not for profit filing. None. Whether federal or in their state.

Sorry, I'm a tax accountant and just not able to stop myself from commenting on this ridiculous thread. The only "nonprofit" organization Kody would be able to create would be covered under 501©. I'd argue it would specifically be a charitable organization under 501©(3), as it's not a civic league or organization operated exclusively for the promotion of social welfare (4), a labor, agricultural, or horticultural organization (5), any sort of business or real estate league/club (6), a recreational club (7), a fraternal organization (8 and 10), a voluntary employee beneficiary association (9), a teachers retirement organization (11), or any of the misc., very specific organizations under 501©(12).

So now that we've established it would be a 501©(3), the IRS has a very strict and stringent application process. In fact, it's not an established charity for tax purposes under federal law until it receives the determination letter from the IRS, sometimes called the 501©(3) letter.

No, you can't just go out and claim nonprofit status for tax purposes without going through this process.

Did anyone else catch when Robyn said that she and Meri went into counseling together after Robyn married into the family? Do to jealousy issues? Hmmm. Interesting. Esp considering Meri has always been touted as a best friend. Not that best friends can't have issues but it makes you wonder. Seems like Janelle was the only one to not have an issue with Robyn.

I've been out of town so forgive me if anything definitive has been discovered about this situation. I just saw the preview of Meri talking about going to the lawyer, so they are alluding to this having something to do with Meri. If that is the case, let me just say that I would lose any respect for this family because if Meri needed to divorce him, why would he not legally marry Janelle... #2?? Would this not be the fair thing? It had BETTER have something to do with Robyn! Not that it will make it OK in my mind to "legally spouse swap", but at least there would be a reason for it not being fair to Janelle and Christine. :(

Finally got around to watching the Robyn episode last night. It was SO. AWKWARD.

I mean, it would have been fine (and I would actually like it if) they did episodes like this for all the wives. What was it like when Meri was the only wife? What was it like when Janelle joined the family? What was it like for Christine? I feel like each of them have their own stories, and I actually LIKE seeing footage from before the show. I'd really like a wife-special for each one.

However, just having it be Robyn sort of re-enforces her status as the "special" wife.

I wonder if Meri had to go to counseling because she lost her status as "main" wife and had trouble dealing?

I think Janelle just didn't care because she was working on her own issues. Plus, I feel like her and Kody have more of a "good friend" relationship. It's possibly the most healthy relationship, if it weren't a marriage.

I wonder if Christine brought her mother in because she feels emotionally abandoned and needs support? Plus her mom can help with expenses, which I am sure she needs. I really hope her mother, as someone who left a bad poly marriage, will see the truth of Christine/Kody's relationship and help her get out.

I've been out of town so forgive me if anything definitive has been discovered about this situation. I just saw the preview of Meri talking about going to the lawyer, so they are alluding to this having something to do with Meri. If that is the case, let me just say that I would lose any respect for this family because if Meri needed to divorce him, why would he not legally marry Janelle... #2?? Would this not be the fair thing? It had BETTER have something to do with Robyn! Not that it will make it OK in my mind to "legally spouse swap", but at least there would be a reason for it not being fair to Janelle and Christine. :(

Honestly, I'm completely convinced he/they did it for Robyn somehow. They are setting it up too perfectly. They showed the clip of Robyn talking about her concerns about the kids having to leave the family if something happened to her, and had a whole show on Robyn's story. I can't remember who posted, but I think they were exactly correct. Robyn has some sort of legal issue going on, probably kid-related, and this is their attempt to remedy that. It will be framed as Meri's idea, at least as it seems in the preview.

Finally got around to watching the Robyn episode last night. It was SO. AWKWARD.

I mean, it would have been fine (and I would actually like it if) they did episodes like this for all the wives. What was it like when Meri was the only wife? What was it like when Janelle joined the family? What was it like for Christine? I feel like each of them have their own stories, and I actually LIKE seeing footage from before the show. I'd really like a wife-special for each one.

However, just having it be Robyn sort of re-enforces her status as the "special" wife.

I wonder if Meri had to go to counseling because she lost her status as "main" wife and had trouble dealing?

I think Janelle just didn't care because she was working on her own issues. Plus, I feel like her and Kody have more of a "good friend" relationship. It's possibly the most healthy relationship, if it weren't a marriage.

I wonder if Christine brought her mother in because she feels emotionally abandoned and needs support? Plus her mom can help with expenses, which I am sure she needs. I really hope her mother, as someone who left a bad poly marriage, will see the truth of Christine/Kody's relationship and help her get out.

I think episode on Robyn was to set up the reason for the divorce between Kody and Meri and the remarriage to Robyn. Also, adding Robyn was a huge upheaval for the Brown family. They had been a family with three wives for sixteen years when Kody married Robyn. Adding her changed how the family functioned. I wonder what they would have done had they stayed in Utah and not been on a TV show. Could they have added a wing for Robyn? Would they have moved to another multi-wife house? Purchased four homes?

The upcoming shows are supposed to explain the divorce and remarriage, I think. Looking forward to seeing what made it necessary, at least in their opinions.

I don't know if Janelle never had any issues with Robyn, she just seems more like the type who would keep it to herself and do her best to make sure know one noticed.

I thought Christine was the one who had issues with Robyn. Christine blamed Robyn for lack of time with Kody, was upset because Kody kissed Robyn when they got engaged-he was a married man!, and for anything at all related to Kody.

Janelle and Meri had problems in the past, bad enough so that Janelle and her children left for a couple of years. Janelle and Meri were friends and even sisters-in-law before Janelle became wife #2. I think changing Janelle's role to that of a wife was difficult for Meri to accept, similar to Christine's struggle to accept Robyn. Meri had been the ONLY wife before Janelle and Kody married and I think that was pretty hard for Meri. She may believe in polygamy, but being "replaced" by wife #2 has to be tough. I think when Christine was added to the family it took the focus off the relationship between Meri and Janelle and made it easier for blending all the wives. Plus, Christine came into the family only 14 months after Janelle. Long time patterns, relationships, and habits were not yet established as they had been when Robyn came into their family.

I thought Christine was the one who had issues with Robyn. Christine blamed Robyn for lack of time with Kody, was upset because Kody kissed Robyn when they got engaged-he was a married man!, and for anything at all related to Kody.

Janelle and Meri had problems in the past, bad enough so that Janelle and her children left for a couple of years. Janelle and Meri were friends and even sisters-in-law before Janelle became wife #2. I think changing Janelle's role to that of a wife was difficult for Meri to accept, similar to Christine's struggle to accept Robyn. Meri had been the ONLY wife before Janelle and Kody married and I think that was pretty hard for Meri. She may believe in polygamy, but being "replaced" by wife #2 has to be tough. I think when Christine was added to the family it took the focus off the relationship between Meri and Janelle and made it easier for blending all the wives. Plus, Christine came into the family only 14 months after Janelle. Long time patterns, relationships, and habits were not yet established as they had been when Robyn came into their family.

Personally, I think Meri can be a bully at times. It's not so bad as it was in the first season, and I think that in terms of Meri and the other wives' relationship, having the separate homes has been a positive change. Meri may "believe" in polygamy, but it was clear early on that she still expected to have things done her way and that she expected to be sort of the Chief of the Harem, where all the wives answered to her and then she answered to Kody.

When her way or wants are seriously opposed (even for legitimate reasons), she is not above throwing her weight around or using underhanded tactics such as emotional manipulation to get her way. We saw it with the houses. She wasn't going to get her way, so she manipulated the situation to be the victim and played a card that made them all give up their legitimate position and interests because of poor Meri's feels. There is good reason for the wives to be upset with this situation.

I think Meri was expecting a docile wife to do her bidding when she encouraged adding #2 but didn't get it in Janelle, and then probably resorted to bullying and emotional manipulation to get her way when Janelle opposed her. I'm not surprised Janelle has serious issues with her.

No, but your company almost certainly exists entirely, or almost entirely, as a government sub-contractor and your business is likely classified as " being for the public good" and/or scientific research.

That's true.

Can someone who watches this show do us a favor? Can you let us know what sort of demeanor that Meri and Kody have during the scene where she talks about seeing the lawyer? Things like body language, facial expressions, whether they hesitate before saying things, all that stuff. They probably know how to act (to a certain extent) for the cameras, but it could give us more of a clue as to what is going on as opposed to what they're telling us.

In the commercial for Sunday's episode they showed Meri saying how she was headed to the lawyer. She was smirking while she said it. :roll: That little clip seemed totally staged to me.

Personally, I think Meri can be a bully at times. It's not so bad as it was in the first season, and I think that in terms of Meri and the other wives' relationship, having the separate homes has been a positive change. Meri may "believe" in polygamy, but it was clear early on that she still expected to have things done her way and that she expected to be sort of the Chief of the Harem, where all the wives answered to her and then she answered to Kody.

When her way or wants are seriously opposed (even for legitimate reasons), she is not above throwing her weight around or using underhanded tactics such as emotional manipulation to get her way. We saw it with the houses. She wasn't going to get her way, so she manipulated the situation to be the victim and played a card that made them all give up their legitimate position and interests because of poor Meri's feels. There is good reason for the wives to be upset with this situation.

I think Meri was expecting a docile wife to do her bidding when she encouraged adding #2 but didn't get it in Janelle, and then probably resorted to bullying and emotional manipulation to get her way when Janelle opposed her. I'm not surprised Janelle has serious issues with her.

the first wife has a different role than the others. the first wife is a bully because that is how her role is defined by the pligs. she manages the other wives and the husband and so on.

Archived