IGNORED

Reborn Virgin

roddma

Peggy did it on King of the Hill. I kind of thought it was something made up for the show. I can't imagine why anyone would do this. It seems vastly unnecessary.

That was Luanne, Peggy and Hank's niece who lived with them while her mom served time. I can't remember if Luanne's born-again virginity came before or after Buckley was killed in the explosion at the Mega-Lo Mart. Luanne

Just checked Wikipedia and Luanne became a born-again virgin after Buckley's untimely death.

the term reminds me of the discussion of virginity between mary and hilary faye in saved!, during the gun range scene. hilary commented that jesus could restore her virginity if she lost it to some rapist, yadda yadda yadda, and mary asked more about it because, "physically, you're only a virgin once."

according to hilary, she said (iirc), "it's not about reversing the violation of your blessed womb, it's about asking jesus to grant you a virginal heart. that way, you're pure again."

oh, saved!, how i love thee.

I can see a use for being a "born again virgin"... as in, if a woman has had a sexual partner or two, the relationship doesn't go anywhere, she feels "used", which happens, and decides sex is off the table next time until she really gets to know the person really well, whether that be for marriage, or for "later in the relationship"... I see it partially as a re-evaluation of the use of sex in the relationship, and whether or not it is needed or required.

I think this term is really useless. If you have had consensual sex and decide that you don't want to for any period of time, for any reason, that's up to you. I don't think that needs a term. I know what celibacy/abstinence means but how long do you have to go without sex to use that term? Is it is simply an individual determination? Also, you could engage in certain sexual activities but not others and still claim celibacy, I suppose. Depends on what you feel you want to refrain from, I guess. On a lighter note, my sexual inexperience was hard enough to get rid of, I don't need it back :lol:

Back when I was young and single in the evil Northeast we called it regaining your virginity, but it had absolutely NOTHING to do with religion and everything to do with long, dry, relationshipless spells. It was said that if you went without sex PIV for one year your stretchy, girly bits would shrink back to their pre PIV state and any first sex from there on out would be dry, tight, and somewhat awkward! :embarrassed:

Keep in mind we were young, hilarious women and facts were not relevant to our commentary. Regaining your virginity in our time was more a sarcastic lament on the lack of quality dating material in the area. :violin:

If a person whose having sex wants to stop and wait then kudos to them. However virginity doesn't define a person. It has no worth. A person has worth.

On a episode of sister wives I recall robyn calling a meeting,, in this meeting she said she lost her puirtywhile she was unmarried, she said this while her kids were sitting in the room with her and the rest of the klan,, to regain her purity she produced a cheap pice of joolery shaped like a heart and gave it to Kody,, announcing she has now got her purity back,, I imagine her kid felt like shit hearing this,,

On a episode of sister wives I recall robyn calling a meeting,, in this meeting she said she lost her puirty while her kids were sitting in the room with her,, to regain her purity she produced a cheap pice of joolery shaped like a heart and gave it to Kody,, announcing she has now got her purity back,, I imagine her kid felt like shit hearing this,,

i don't remember this episode (though i haven't seen all of them). what happened?

On a episode of sister wives I recall robyn calling a meeting,, in this meeting she said she lost her puirtywhile she was unmarried, she said this while her kids were sitting in the room with her and the rest of the klan,, to regain her purity she produced a cheap pice of joolery shaped like a heart and gave it to Kody,, announcing she has now got her purity back,, I imagine her kid felt like shit hearing this,,

It was SO awkward. All the kids there? Blech.

oh okay, i understand now. i read the unedited post and was confused. :P

That happened about two seasons ago,, It was so awkward, they were all sitting in a room and she gets up and gives a speech on how she gave her purity to a man who wasent her husband, now of course her kid is sitting there taking this all in, and she produces this cheap heart and gives it to Kody proclaiming that she was pure agin to Kody

Personally, I always thought it was bullshit until quite recently.

I met a woman who was a virgin but was raped by a man who she was dating. To her, this seemed to be part of her healing process. At first I felt like she blamed herself for the rape by going through this, but it was such an important part of her recovery and she always was able to acknowledge that this was something that happened to her and was his fault. Ever since hearing her story, I can't help but feel that if a woman feels empowered by doing this (for whatever reason they choose to) it isn't my place to judge.

I will always hate that so much value is placed on a woman's sexual past and the state of her hymen, but I can't see it the same way I did prior to learning of the importance it took in her journey.

I had a similar experience. One of my clients was severely sexually abused as a kid and then made some choices as a teenager that she regretted. She was still struggling with the effects of her abuse (poor boundaries, confusing sex/physical intimacy for emotional affection/support). She ended up getting involved in some trafficking, which was fortunately very brief, but following that experience she started talking about her desire to be a reborn virgin. To her it represented forgiving herself for choices she regretted and not feeling shame about her history. I hate hate hate the term reborn virgin, but I think the concept can be useful.

That happened about two seasons ago,, It was so awkward, they were all sitting in a room and she gets up and gives a speech on how she gave her purity to a man who wasent her husband, now of course her kid is sitting there taking this all in, and she produces this cheap heart and gives it to Kody proclaiming that she was pure agin to Kody

oh wow, that sounds super, super awkward. i stopped watching right after they moved out of utah, and i've only seen tiny bits and pieces since.

Have any of you read Alice Walker's "The Color Purple"? According to the character Shug Avery, you are a virgin until you've had an orgasm.

Well damn now I feel bad for Jessa Duggar, Priscilla Waller, and pretty much half of all female fundies. They will be virgins until they die.

Archived