IGNORED

Church vs. School Question

nelliebelle1197

I need some advice in order to help me shape my opinion beyond a gut reaction on something. I live in a very liberal, progressive small city on the edge of a large city (literal edge; I can see Atlanta from my house :shifty-kitty: ) mired in a pool of suburban and rural red staters. I am part of a committee that promotes city wide 5ks due to my job (not the fact that I run; I don't so don't be impressed). One of the 5k organizers told us as we were planning an outreach to get kids involved that she cannot list her run in the upcoming events section of local school newsletters because it raises money for a religious organization.

I react strongly to that because, while I am not religious at all, it does not seem equitable that an organization could not list their fundraiser. Maybe I am not thinking clearly because churches here are very progressive (we boast the first integrated church in Georgia in my neighbor, still active and strong with a great outreach and shelter for men with homelessness and addiction issues). Our voters went for Obama 92% last national election. But it seems to me there is no harm in listing events of all sorts as long as everyone can do it and the events are not political in nature. Set me straight, FJ.

I think this is one of those things where if the schools provide advertising space for other types of outside organizations, then they have to allow a religious organization to advertise too.

Handouts at school are not considered advertising and are not paid for as such. When I get to do Friday Folders as a sub, I see community events fliers, YMCA sports info, and school info, but never anything directly associated with a church.

Schools are not legally allowed to officially endorse anything that promotes a religion other than student clubs (but that requires that they allow similar non-religious clubs and do not discriminate in any way--i.e. if you have a Bible club and someone wants to start a Koran club, the second could not be banned and if you only have sports, do not allow a generic book club, but allow a Bible club then you have a problem as well).

If the 5K is associated with a number of groups and only one is religious, then I would think it would be okay. Honestly, I would check with the school district directly if I were you. Most districts have a clear policy and someone in the district offices should be able to clarify for you.

Does your organization fundraise only for a religious group? Or is that just part? If it's part, then you're in a gray area. If it's just for a religious group, then your co-organizer is right. Progressive or not, if your kid came home with a calendar promoting a fundraiser for a religion, you'd probably be angry since that school is promoting that to its students, especially if it's for a different religion or church, and there are other ways to promote the event. If not advertising at a local public school means the fundraiser will be a bust, then it deserves to be a bust. Otherwise keep advertising anything to do with religion out of the local public schools.

Archived