IGNORED

Fundie families where the parents grew up Fundie?

Grimalkin

Kim Coghlan from In A Shoe is a second generation fundie. Her parents had about 10 kids and homeschooled them, she has about 12 kids (has she had the last one yet, last time I heard she was in labor?) and is a fundie. Cant see it making the fourth generation, not now Deanna got a divorce and seems to have distanced herself and seems to be quite mainstream in her interests.

No idea what her other siblings are like though, I know some of them are still teenagers the same age as her kids, it doesn't seem like her parents or anyone in her family have any notable social media presence.

Just from what we've seen on their blog, it seems like Jill Rodrigues may be second generation fundie.

I think her fundyism started in her teens or so. She's a lot more into atrocious makeup and other things than most fundies would consider modest. And how many raised-from-the-cradle fundies would consider for a spouse a minority person who didn't convert until legal adulthood?

I don't think Kim C's people were fundie as much dirt poor regular conservative Christians who liked to fuck a lot. The step to dirt poor fundies who like to fuck a lot is not a major one.

There was an ultra-conservative homeschooling Christian family with a zillion kids in my neighborhood when I was a girl, so third-generation fundies aren't out of the question at all. I used to help the oldest boy with his lemonade stand when I was little. I think it was 12 kids total (and counting, presumably). That was 20 years ago, so almost all of those kids would be old enough to have quivers of their own by now. I don't remember their last name anymore, began with an S, the kid I played with was about my age and named Ben.

I think her fundyism started in her teens or so. She's a lot more into atrocious makeup and other things than most fundies would consider modest. And how many raised-from-the-cradle fundies would consider for a spouse a minority person who didn't convert until legal adulthood?

Jill and David have both talked about her parents' fundyism; Jill was homeschooled and skirts only always from what I have seen. I think the 80s makeup is just her rebellion.

Patriarchy of the kind we talk about here -- that tries to change the laws our entire society lives by is pretty new, like less than 50 years, i think. (Vision Forum, Family Integrated Churches, ATI, Dominionists) But old school patriarchy such as Amish/Mennonites has been around for centuries. The Anabaptists are opposed to being in the military because of the commandment not to kill, and they won't vote or hold office (the majority of them) because they believe God's kingdom is not of this world. Thank :fsm:

This is not a new thing where I live. Keep in mind there are a lot of fundies who pass for mainstream and don't follow false prophets like Gothard.

The Bontraegers seem to be at least 2nd generation fundies, if not even more. The wife has got a Mennonite/Anabaptist background (don't know about the husband) and 10 siblings. They seem to have a lot of family get togethers and a lot of the women wear headcovering. They seem to have a bunch of fun when they all meet and there all also family members that appear to be less fundie (women wearing pants!!!). I actually kind of like them and would love to know more about their background.

Jill and David have both talked about her parents' fundyism; Jill was homeschooled and skirts only always from what I have seen. I think the 80s makeup is just her rebellion.

Yeah, if you read their "Family Updates" section, there are a couple of entries with pictures of Jill's family. All of the girls are wearing skirts and her sisters all seem to have 5+ kids as well. She's the only one who seems to have gotten her makeup tattooed on her face in 1983.

A photo caption quote from her "Easter" entry:

I admire my parents diligence in raising me and my 3 sisters. Due to them training us in the way that we should go, none of us have ever gone astray into the world…………all praise be to Jesus Our Lord……His precepts and promises work and are TRUE!!

There is also a definite political and financial element associated with Christian Fundamentalism.

Archived