IGNORED

What if Starbucks Marketed Like a Church? A Parable.

homeschoolmomma1

I think I'll stick with the back of my anonymous Catholic church, thankyouverymuch. :lol:

It's so true! An acquaintance from high school sells some sort of diet shake in a pyramid scheme and I swear you could replace her product name with God and all her quotes and statuses would sound like they came out of a Max Lucado book. All her posts make it seem like she has joined a nutritional supplement cult.

I really felt bad for my sister because she was so glad this girl sent her a message and wanted to "reconnect". Turns out it was a sales pitch to try to get my sister to sign up to sell the world's most awesomest vitamins and shakes.

I was an advertising minor in college, and in the past -- especially when department stores became popular -- many companies actually did advertise like churches. Or employ tactics to make them seem more church-like...look at the elaborate, almost "holy" architecture you see in the original Macy's (Marshall Fields) department store in Chicago. Church was such an important part of people's lives during that era, that it was a legit marketing tactic. Interesting stuff!

:lol:

Love the door with the name -- "International Anointed First Starbucks of the Northern Valley" -- in Papyrus font.

I'm a member of a small UU congregation. A few months ago, we decided to get rid of the "Visitors, stand and be recognized" thing because we learned how intimidating it can be for some.

Once, some Catholic friends of mine visited a Congregational church because their friend was performing music at a service. They were taken aback at how congregants greeted them and invited them to coffee hour. I had to explain that the folks weren't trying to convert/entrap them--they were just trying to be hospitable.

Like a poster above, my sister told me she was perfectly happy in the anonymity of her big Catholic church.

As a shy person, having to stand or raise my hand as a visitor in a new church is terrifying. And if you don't stand, you get *looks* from regular attenders, like they know if you're new or not. I hate it.

This video was spot on.

I try to avoid Christian stores and restaurants. I'm there to shop and eat, not be preached to. If I want to hear a sermon, I'll go to church.

Archived