IGNORED

Article on Kim Coughlin(LiaS)

tabitha2

I liked where they said they don't call themselves Quiverfull (in one of the photo captions). Methinks they are trying to distance themselves from some of the cray cray they used to be so entrenched in.

That is an ATI/Gothard related term so It des not really pertain to them. Seriously, Kim is one of 14 herself and really, really likes sex so making babies and lot's of children around is second nature to her.

I hate people (yes, hate people) who claim that being able to afford large families and nice things all "comes down to lifestyle choices and priorities." I'm sure we could support more kids if we didn't eat and were willing to go without power.

Don't forget that Kim believes terminating an ectopic (so never viable and very likely to be fatal to the mother) pregnancy to be wrong and is perfectly willing for women to die rather than terminate. She also homebirthed on a porch covered in chicken poop, carried a loaded gun while nursing and gave her daughters a very unsafe and crowded bedroom (Costco shelves but also bare unvarnished wood floor and walls that didn't reach the ceiling). I believe she also palms babies off onto her older daughters from a few months old so she can sleep through the night (I seem to remember it from FJ, does anyone remember?).

No amount of writing ability or enjoying a drink makes the Coghlans 'fun' - they are dangerous fundies still, don't be fooled.

Someone above mentioned them beating their kids...

Did anyone else see the status Perry wrote a few months back? I can't remember it exactly but he basically said he had sometimes been to quick to spank his kids and had realized that spanking too much would create a "dirty pot that looked clean on the outside." Anyway, the status and his comments on it basically said they no longer spanked as much (but they do still spank).

Thought it was interesting.

She also home birthed on a porch covered in chicken poop

That's a story that FJ won't let die. The porch was thoroughly cleaned and It was a water birth in a proper nursing pool she was not in contact with surface any way.

I believe she also palms babies off onto her older daughters from a few months old so she can sleep through the night (I seem to remember it from FJ, does anyone remember?).

Ah, no. She is not Ma Duggar. She makes it quite clear in many posts she is the mother and she boasts almost all of her babies sleep through the night very early. She firmly believes her children are there to work and obey, Even so.

That's a story that FJ won't let die. The porch was thoroughly cleaned and It was a water birth in a proper nursing pool she was not in contact with surface any way.

Ah, no. She is not Ma Duggar. She makes it quite clear in many posts she is the mother and she boasts almost all of her babies sleep through the night very early. She firmly believes her children are there to work and obey, Even so.

Yep, she did birth on a chicken poop covered deck. She deleted/rewrote her birthing story after we started posting about it. As I recall, she could not get comfortable in the birthing pool, so she went outside on the deck. She's the one who referenced the chickens pooping all over the deck. Perry was supposed to "catch" the child but dropped it. This birth story was a couple of kids ago.

Imagine telling that kid about his birth in a few years :lol: Sorry you were dropped on your head at just a few minutes old, kid.

And had them sleep on Costco pallets!

Nine children in one room (two kids shared one of these slots):

HVJKieB.png

dLdqIpI.png

Kim did not deliver baby Parker in the birthing tub. He was born outside, and Perry set him down (or dropped him) on the deck. No specific word on whether or not they had cleaned up the chicken poop first. She writes about this very clearly on her blog. It's still there. She may have changed it since it was originally posted, but no one is making it up.

inashoe.com/2010/06/birth-story-parker-cromwell-part-2/

Kaitlyn was rushing around inside the house, preparing our bed in case I ended up delivering in there. Presumably, this was the back up plan, but I wasn’t moving. I sat on the deck, right where I had landed, bracing myself between the rail and my husband’s body. Contractions came one after another, with no break between.

I warned Perry that I was feeling “pushy†and he asked if I could wait, then called my mom to let her know that she’d better get here quickly if she wanted to witness the birth.

I had one or two more contractions. “Are you pushing?!†Perry wanted to know, still shaken. He sounded like he’d caught a child being naughty, and I felt like one. “Just a little,†I admitted. Under other circumstances, I would have found it hard not to laugh. I think I did chuckle just a little.

Headlights came up the driveway and Perry suddenly looked relieved: “Here she comes. The midwife is here.†He sent Kaitlyn to help her carry up her equipment. I felt the baby descending and shifted to all fours. There was a loud pop as my water broke. I knew it was too soon for the midwife to be here but had other things on my mind.

“Here it comes!†I told him, as footsteps topped the stairs.

I think there was half a moment of stunned silence, and then: “The baby? The baby!!!†I was briefly afraid that Kaitlyn would have to catch while Perry supported me, but he didn’t hesitate now. He scrambled around to the business end of the affair and assumed the catcher’s position with hardly a second to spare. I was oblivious as my mom and Kaitlyn joined us.

For the first time ever, there was no distinct “ring of fire.†I felt the head and then the rest of the baby’s body emerge all in one quick push. It was still dark and we were far from the windows and lights, so Perry was catching blind.

The rest happened just as quickly. At first, Perry thought that the baby slid through his hands in a smooth curving motion and landed face up on the surface under my belly. Having reviewed the event in his mind, he thinks what happened was that he caught the baby then tried to pass him into my hands, but the cord was around the baby’s neck and/or body. There wasn’t enough slack so he quickly set the baby down to unwind things, letting his bottom hit the deck with a thump and then easing his head down.

Nine children in one room (two kids shared one of these slots):

HVJKieB.png

dLdqIpI.png

Oh my god, I thought those pictures were the same bunks because of the striped blanket, but no, the pic with the kids in it touches the wall. 9 kids in that tiny space can be deadly.

Oh my god, I thought those pictures were the same bunks because of the striped blanket, but no, the pic with the kids in it touches the wall. 9 kids in that tiny space can be deadly.

I thought that might have been the case for a few people, based on some of the conversation in the "bunk beds" thread.

But it was nine children and some dressers in that unfinished, airless little deathtrap, on strips of foam that were narrower than normal beds, with makeshift covers.

What's really crazy about the 9 kids in that one shelving unit is that they actually had another bedroom -- they just wanted to use it as a library :(

I'm definitely an advocate for using space creatively, and of thinking you can happily have a bunch of kids in a small space....but, it's seriously nuts to stack kids up 4 high, on a narrow cot, with no railing - AND stick another kid end to end trying to share the same space . Especially when there is a whole other available room.

Let's not forget that she spent a whole day or whatever spanking poor little Parker when he was a toddler because he kept getting in the chocolate or candy rather than just putting the candy up on a shelf where he couldn't reach it.

I hate people (yes, hate people) who claim that being able to afford large families and nice things all "comes down to lifestyle choices and priorities." I'm sure we could support more kids if we didn't eat and were willing to go without power.

And if we relied on Samaritan Ministries quasi-health insurance, and didn't spent a dime on higher education for any of our children. Then, like Kim, we might end up with a bright, curious 19 year old daughter who quickly marries to get out of the house, gets divorced & has very possibly moved back home. And she's got 2 teenage sisters behind her who seem equally restless and bored.

• 1 year later...

HOLY FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER, WHAT THE HECK DID I JUST SEE?????

Thoughtful, TYVM for doing a capture of those beds---when I tried an earlier thread link, the blog page was not available.  (Hmmm.  Wonder why?---eaten by gremlins?)

I commented on this situation to my DH and his immediate response was "wasn't triple-stacking the way slavers handled the Middle Passage?"  I hate to have anyone invoke Godwin's Law on me....but....harveyblackauthor.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/untitled.png

...there was more headroom at freaking AUSCHEWITZ

Archived