IGNORED

The wedding ties

AniLand

Tim Tebow would be perfect for her. He's educated, decent looking, has a work ethic, and could pound JB into the dirt.

And Jana wouldn't have to give lots of interviews. She could be a housewife and raise as many children as SHE wants. I can see that working for her.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) what, they didn't change the hanger? lazy lazy production team :lol:

2) who would look at this and think it would be worth the time to make that modest instead of buying a modest dress?

green and lace. pinterest squeal!

The bolded! Exactly. Let's find a dress that fulfills none of our modesty requirements and get Jana to radically alter it! They could have just bought fabric and made the dresses from scratch!

Or, you know, just buy modest dresses. It's not like modest clothing doesn't exist.

And Jana wouldn't have to give lots of interviews. She could be a housewife and raise as many children as SHE wants. I can see that working for her.

Or go to school and work. I bet Tim would be OK with that.

Really how do we get the two of them together?

The bolded! Exactly. Let's find a dress that fulfills none of our modesty requirements and get Jana to radically alter it! They could have just bought fabric and made the dresses from scratch!

Or, you know, just buy modest dresses. It's not like modest clothing doesn't exist.

Plus I am sure one of the modesty clothing stores would have sent dresses for free or at least a discount in favor for advertising the store.

1) what, they didn't change the hanger? lazy lazy production team :lol:

2) who would look at this and think it would be worth the time to make that modest instead of buying a modest dress?

green and lace. pinterest squeal!

There is a dress on the jenclothing.com site that is mint and lace. Could have saved poor Jana a lot of work. (I tried to insert the picture but couldn't figure out how.)

http://www.jenclothing.com/jb-140110730-nic-mint.html

Prettier, modest, but TWICE the quoted price of $30.. which is what I thought I read..

There is a dress on the jenclothing.com site that is mint and lace. Could have saved poor Jana a lot of work. (I tried to insert the picture but couldn't figure out how.)

wow that one is pretty :) looks much dressier than what they used.

post-10046-14451999539892_thumb.jpg

i wonder if they did the white bit at the bottoms because their local Sears didn't have enough green ones in stock that day. :roll: getting things for weddings is a pita and requires a lot of trips, but it's not like they didn't have enough people around to be gophers.

Exactly. Let's find a dress that fulfills none of our modesty requirements and get Jana to radically alter it! They could have just bought fabric and made the dresses from scratch!

This is what I don't get. I get that buying modest wedding dresses can be a challenge outside of Utah, but I don't see why is so difficult about finding some modest bridesmaid dresses. I have seen plenty of pretty lace dresses for sale in even mainstream stores that meet the shoulder/knee modesty requirements. It might have meant Jill might have had to put more effort into looking than just grabbing those ones and telling Cinderjana to alter them, but hey, you're the bride, that's meant to be your job. I find it hard to believe Jill was so busy she couldn't get the internet password, google 'modest bridesmaid dresses', looked at a few of the websites, narrowed her search for that mint colour she wanted and found something that didn't require enslaving Jana.

Jim Bob is incerdibly cheap - If having Jana make all those alterations and ties cost him even $50 less than buying the dresses and ties completed online, he'd have absolutely no problem enslaving Jana for the task.

This was the man who couldn't be bothered to shell out for proper wedding reception decorations and table coverings, and who was content to have everyone else make food and serve it at the wedding. :(

His biggest contribution was probably the damn powdered lemonade mix he sent his sons out to buy at Sam's. :roll:

I noticed two seams on the bottom of each dress. One in the dress color, one in white. I think Jana altered them, and her parents made her make them even longer, hence the white.

I had a "friend" do this to me in a wedding. I showed up to pick up my dress and she handed me two, and said I needed to have them sewn together, because she got them for $4, and I needed a 12 and she bought two 7's. Tackiest thing that's ever happened to me. I bought a girdle and squeezed my rolls in that damn dress and it's her pictures to live with. :nenner:

I noticed two seams on the bottom of each dress. One in the dress color, one in white. I think Jana altered them, and her parents made her make them even longer, hence the white.

I had a "friend" do this to me in a wedding. I showed up to pick up my dress and she handed me two, and said I needed to have them sewn together, because she got them for $4, and I needed a 12 and she bought two 7's. Tackiest thing that's ever happened to me. I bought a girdle and squeezed my rolls in that damn dress and it's her pictures to live with. :nenner:

Ooh. I like you.

What did you do with the extra dress?

I also thought making the ties was ridiculous. Fabric and sewing notions are more expensive than you can buy things most of the time. Of course, Jana's time is FREE, I am sure her sister did not even write her a heartfelt note in Thanks for this task.

I recently helped a friend order ties for $5 each to match her wedding colors so I don't think Jana making them was just to save money.

wow that one is pretty :) looks much dressier than what they used.

[attachment=0]jendress.JPG[/attachment]

i wonder if they did the white bit at the bottoms because their local Sears didn't have enough green ones in stock that day. :roll: getting things for weddings is a pita and requires a lot of trips, but it's not like they didn't have enough people around to be gophers.

Maybe Jill saw these and thought she could find something cheaper... or Boob told her to get something cheaper?

I quite like these dresses in this picture. Poor Jana.

Edited to get the quote right!

Adding a layer of white to the bottom of the dress makes more of a (show off) modesty statement than simply buying a tea length dress.

Because as people have said in the past, buying dresses that don't need to be altered mean admitting that gasp-- they ARENT special! They obviously have to buy dresses and alter them to make a show about how they are sOoOoO different from everyone else and the world doesn't accomadate them, so they "make do"

I have noticed that Anna's been looking fantastic lately and a lot of that is because she has toned down the layers and bought naturally modest pieces. Then, I also noticed that she has many pins from LDS evening wear/ dress sites that fit her modesty requirements. At least she gets it!!

Adding a layer of white to the bottom of the dress makes more of a (show off) modesty statement than simply buying a tea length dress.

They probably intentionally bought the dresses 'wrong' so they could have the storyline of Cinder-Jana altering them instead of just going and buying modest dresses to begin with. I'm not worried about 'modesty', but I have tons of tea length dresses. They are not hard to find them. I like them because I can bend over if i drop something without everyone seeing my butt.

That and it drew my eyes straight to the knees trying to figure out what the hell was happening at the bottom of the dresses instead of their faces....

I wonder if the issue would be the site being for Mormons. I don't want to think they'd nix a site due to that, but it's so weird that in all these years and with so many opportunities they've never even been showing considering one of those options. And if they'd go to DC for the dress, they can get to a lot of places with modest bridal dress shops. Someone posted a link to one in St. Louis a while ago. It wasn't even exclusively LDS; it profiled brides from a number of religious backgrounds.

I don't know, it's just hard to believe that even with great modest dress options they'd make such a huge fuss about doing their own alterations every. single. time. they need something nice.

and weren't they Romney supporters? That is, after whatever weird candidate they really wanted got smoked lol

Seems like they would have gotten over thinking Mormon was something to be shunned, especially with the common convictions.

and weren't they Romney supporters? That is, after whatever weird candidate they really wanted got smoked lol

Seems like they would have gotten over thinking Mormon was something to be shunned, especially with the common convictions.

Frothy Santorum:

I agree with a lot of what folks are saying, that buying things and then altering them to meet their standards makes them speshul. But I also think, as time goes on and they go through more weddings, they might realize that it makes more sense to just buy things you need, instead of mixing and matching and mending and altering.

Or maybe they just have next to no common sense, which is kind of what I'm leaning toward. I mean, the options everyone has offered on this thread make tremendously more sense. The end result of their grifting made everything look really ragamuffin in a bad way.

I agree with a lot of what folks are saying, that buying things and then altering them to meet their standards makes them speshul. But I also think, as time goes on and they go through more weddings, they might realize that it makes more sense to just buy things you need, instead of mixing and matching and mending and altering.

Or maybe they just have next to no common sense, which is kind of what I'm leaning toward. I mean, the options everyone has offered on this thread make tremendously more sense. The end result of their grifting made everything look really ragamuffin in a bad way.

It's definitely Column B rather than Column A here...

I think your friend's got some nerve. If she shows up with two dresses and expects you to splice them together like genetics, she deserves exactly whatever she gets. Depending on how a dress is made, it's not always possible to pull two dresses apart and alter them to be made bigger, and it's even harder if you are pressed for time. If it was me, I probably would have gotten something in a similar color that fitted me and sent her the bill, right after I returned the splicing dresses. And then if she was mad about it, I would have stayed out of the wedding completely. That's just really inconsiderate on her part.

Good for you for squeezing into the one dress and telling your friend to like it or lump it.

One more thing...on the episode where Jana was making the alterations to the dresses, did anyone else think the thread station maybe wasn't hers? I'm talking about the table that had the attachment where all the spools of thread were hanging.

I sew, and I have a wooden rack with spools of thread on it, but they're in all different colors. I also keep a sewing box around with all my needles, bobbins, threads. etc. Jana was working next to a gigantic wooden spool rack with threads on it that weren't even in the colors of the dresses she was making - they were red and white, I think (maybe black).

Anyone else find that weird? Like the rack was planted there and wasn't even hers.

Archived