IGNORED

The wedding ties

AniLand

I try to watch the show with some objectivity, and not everything bothers me, but some things get to me really bad. When Jill asked Jana to alter the dresses, Jana looked genuinely disappointed. There's no doubt in my mind that she worked her fingers to the bone to get her job done, plus she had to make the ties?

I understand altering the bridesmaids dresses. That's not abnormal, in my opinion, if it's not your style, to try to make it more your style. (Making one person do all of those dresses, though, was very selfish). But I'm wondering why Jana had to make the ties for the men, too. I don't sew, so I'm curious - is it that much cheaper to make them by hand, rather than buy them (or order online)?

I was spit-fire pissed watching the lazy sisters just sit on their beds while Jana worked. I loved it when Anna said she would have helped if she lived closer. I thought that was really sweet of her, and totally genuine. I hope the lazy sisters were embarrassed.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I try to watch the show with some objectivity, and not everything bothers me, but some things get to me really bad. When Jill asked Jana to alter the dresses, Jana looked genuinely disappointed. There's no doubt in my mind that she worked her fingers to the bone to get her job done, plus she had to make the ties?

I understand altering the bridesmaids dresses. That's not abnormal, in my opinion, if it's not your style, to try to make it more your style. (Making one person do all of those dresses, though, was very selfish). But I'm wondering why Jana had to make the ties for the men, too. I don't sew, so I'm curious - is it that much cheaper to make them by hand, rather than buy them (or order online)?

I was spit-fire pissed watching the lazy sisters just sit on their beds while Jana worked. I loved it when Anna said she would have helped if she lived closer. I thought that was really sweet of her, and totally genuine. I hope the lazy sisters were embarrassed.

In no way is it cheaper to make a tie than it is to buy a tie. They are difficult to make. They are time consuming. The Great British Sewing Bee had it as one of their challenges and the contestants struggled.

the only way i could see it making sense is it they used the same material for the dresses as the ties...but you can bring in a swatch and get it matched pretty painlessly, so it seems like a pretty stupid thing to put energy into doing.

Ties aren't that difficult to make, but eleven ties still make a lot of work. My guess is that she had a specific color in mind that wasn't available in the stores the males like to shop. I've seen a lot of things in thrift stores, but never eleven pristine matching light green ties. Basically, it's: cut fabric, cut interfacing and filler. stitch one seam in back end of tie. (These are cut on the bias and take a seam so as to not use up a ton of fabric). Interface. Put in stuffing, (I forget the real name..) Iron edges over stuffing, turn up ends, slipstitch back seam closed. Cut one day; make the next.

It is my opinion that those dresses never came from a brides maid's shop. They are ugly, and they look cheap. A decent bridal shop should have had available fabric for alterations.. it might have been costly but it wouldn't have been as difficult as "buying an extra dress" to make alterations!

I don't know about monney, but sewing a tie is not simple, but not difficult. It's specific and ask for patience, but it's not the worst things in sewing.

It's interesting because since that episode was aired, a lot of tabloid sites have been talking about it and how unfair it was to Jana and how she's not treated well and has way too much work piled on her by her parents etc. In fact, just today, Radar Online has an article entitled:

Cinderella Duggar:

The oldest Duggar daughter has taken a backseat to her sisters such as Jessa and Jill while they prepare for weddings and babies, but most people don’t know what Jana is doing for her whole family behind the scenes! Here are some of “Cinderella Duggar’s†activities (and a slide show follows showing her making the dresses, babysitting all her siblings, cooking and cleaning, etc.)

http://radaronline.com/photos/jana-dugg ... to/804813/

I think they are very selfish and thoughtless (JB and Michelle) and that has rubbed off on some of the girls like Jill and Jessa, who just expect Jana to do stuff like this without considering her feelings at all. It's horrible. I feel so badly for her. She really has nothing. It's not like she can get away with some of her girlfriends and have fun once in a while. She's completely stuck. Even in bed she has to share not only a room, but an actual bed with her smaller siblings!

I wish for her that a really nice guy would come along, sweep her off her feet and and after they are married, takes her far away from Duggarville and spoils her rotten! She deserves it.

I was surprised when I saw the dresses they picked out. I actually wore the exact same dress as a bridesmaid in a wedding in July and paid $14 for it at Sears (it was a last minute wedding and there was practically no planning done. But the dress with a shrug over it turned out to look pretty good).

I wish someone with more power and clout than Jim Bob would pursue Jana. Someone who sure as heck isn't going to be bullied into proving he's worthy of being a Duggar - someone who would scoff in JB's face for even entertaining the idea.

Someone who would really cherish her, not just nab her up as a trophy wife.

Hah! Let's put a bug in Tim Tebow's ear.

I've just bought my daughter a formal dress online. The dress was quite expensive but the company offers "accessories to match". You can get a ladies scarf/shawl or a men's tie to match the dress for $10 and there is a choice of 144 colours. You can't seriously tell me it was easier for Jana to sew all those ties than for Jill to spend a bit of time on the internet and find the right colour at a good price.

I don't know about monney, but sewing a tie is not simple, but not difficult. It's specific and ask for patience, but it's not the worst things in sewing.

The fact that it requires hand sewing is enough to make me break out in hives. But I have 400 more half square triangles to make for my latest project. lol

I wish someone with more power and clout than Jim Bob would pursue Jana. Someone who sure as heck isn't going to be bullied into proving he's worthy of being a Duggar - someone who would scoff in JB's face for even entertaining the idea.

Someone who would really cherish her, not just nab her up as a trophy wife.

Hah! Let's put a bug in Tim Tebow's ear.

Tim Tebow would be perfect for her. He's educated, decent looking, has a work ethic, and could pound JB into the dirt.

I was surprised when I saw the dresses they picked out. I actually wore the exact same dress as a bridesmaid in a wedding in July and paid $14 for it at Sears (it was a last minute wedding and there was practically no planning done. But the dress with a shrug over it turned out to look pretty good).

A commenter on pickles and hairspray also mentioned that they were from Sears. They said the biggest giveaway that it was all a ruse was that they dress they "chose" was on a black hanger vs. the store's hangers, which were wooden, I think.

http://www.sears.com/metaphor-petite-s- ... A71900312P

I just don't understand if they didn't like that the dress didn't have what they were looking for pick out a new dress or pay someone to do it. Again I think that's the only reason Jill chose Jana, to do everything. They could buy ties. It's not like they're in the 1700s and have to make everything from scratch.

The fact that it requires hand sewing is enough to make me break out in hives. But I have 400 more half square triangles to make for my latest project. lol

I love hand sewing, I always fear that the sewing machine is going to eat my fingers XD

Have a dring every 50 hald square triangles !

Tim Tebow would be perfect for her. He's educated, decent looking, has a work ethic, and could pound JB into the dirt.

Is there a petition to sign? I'll put my name on it too!

A commenter on pickles and hairspray also mentioned that they were from Sears. They said the biggest giveaway that it was all a ruse was that they dress they "chose" was on a black hanger vs. the store's hangers, which were wooden, I think.

Aha...so now it makes some sense...

They found that cheap-ass dress online and someone decided it was cheap enough to buy extra & alter all of them, who knows how many months before the wedding. Then the TLC crew, who of course has decided there has to be a "dress shopping" episode, find out when they get there, that dresses already exist. So they have to stage the obviously phony dress-shopping adventure because it was already on the schedule and planned for.

What a bunch of BS.

Ties aren't that difficult to make, but eleven ties still make a lot of work. My guess is that she had a specific color in mind that wasn't available in the stores the males like to shop. I've seen a lot of things in thrift stores, but never eleven pristine matching light green ties. Basically, it's: cut fabric, cut interfacing and filler. stitch one seam in back end of tie. (These are cut on the bias and take a seam so as to not use up a ton of fabric). Interface. Put in stuffing, (I forget the real name..) Iron edges over stuffing, turn up ends, slipstitch back seam closed. Cut one day; make the next.

It is my opinion that those dresses never came from a brides maid's shop. They are ugly, and they look cheap. A decent bridal shop should have had available fabric for alterations.. it might have been costly but it wouldn't have been as difficult as "buying an extra dress" to make alterations!

I agree. I SWEAR I saw those dresses in WalMart at the beginning of the spring/summer. (I am fat right now, so I am shopping in places like WalMart because I hope those are temporary clothes for me. Not that all WalMart clothing is ugly, but it is cheap in both quality and price, so a good choice for a temporary wardrobe.)

OMG! Even the shoes in the picture are the same as the type they chose! :shock:

I KNEW they were of knit fabric! How does knit go with "vintage"?

I KNEW they were of knit fabric! How does knit go with "vintage"?

Technically, knit is from the 70s and 70s is now considered vintage. (I know I'm stretching it)

I had one of those dresses from WalMart. It went to my knees, no modesty panel was needed.

i seriously believe the modesty slip was the parents idea

I googled peach and mint ties and found them for as low as 4.95 and 5.95.

I am thinking that all the ties needed to be different lengths because some of the boys are too short for a regular tie.

Maybe in their fucked up world, the family is doing Jana a kindness by overloading her with work. That way she keeps busy and has no idle time to bemoan the fact that her sisters are getting married before her.

1) what, they didn't change the hanger? lazy lazy production team :lol:

2) who would look at this and think it would be worth the time to make that modest instead of buying a modest dress?

post-10046-14451999539591_thumb.jpg

just proves for the millionth time that the some of the Duggar girls aren't actually interested in being "fundie" as far as looking at fundie dress sites for ideas (and there are quite a few). It's like they just look at pinterest and try to add a couple layers or something.

mikarose.com/

shabbyapple.com/shop/clothing/modest

jenclothing.com/church-dresses.html

sweetinnocencedresses.com/shop/

What did the girls actually do? Go out to the closest mall and that was the REAL bridesmaid dress shopping? :lol: i can see Jill in her infinity scarf and starbucks mug waving that dress at Jana asking if she thought it could have sleeves added. Because y'all it was green and lace. pinterest squeal!

Archived