IGNORED

Ninth Circuit Strikes Down Alaska Marriage Ban

FloraKitty35

I'm pretty excited. Even though they're going to appeal, it still means that Alaska is not long for marriage equality! I wish my state (Georgia) were much farther along. Unfortunately, I think they will be one of the last to legalize gay marriage. :(

Btw, I think we need a perma-thread for gay marriage and lgbt rights legislation. There is news by the day and it would be nice to discuss.

I'm pretty excited. Even though they're going to appeal, it still means that Alaska is not long for marriage equality! I wish my state (Georgia) were much farther along. Unfortunately, I think they will be one of the last to legalize gay marriage. :(

Btw, I think we need a perma-thread for gay marriage and lgbt rights legislation. There is news by the day and it would be nice to discuss.

With GA, it may depend on which Governor you elect in a few weeks. I think a group of states will be last, but it is indeed happening quickly.

I have been waiting for this moment since 2008.

There needs to be a fist-banging-on-the-floor-laughing smiley for such an occasion.

Ohhh, I can't wait to hear what that bigoted witch has to say about it.

Congratulations to all the couples in Alaska who are now allowed to exercise the rights they deserve. I'd give it two years, tops, before all fifty states have been dragged kicking and screaming into the modern era.

It feels really anticlimactic to me. I mean, I'm happy that it's finally happening, but I'm not exactly ecstatic like I would have been even 2 years ago. It doesn't really affect me. I know "they" are going to fight it. And I hate reading reactions because it just disappoints me. I can't believe how stupid people can be. I don't want to believe that people I know, work with, see all the time are against it. It's just depressing.

Just posted this to my Facebook:

"I am amazed at how fast same-sex marriage went from being legal in only a handful of states, to the majority of them, with more being added almost daily.

The Supremes were wrong; the Supreme Court shows us you CAN "hurry love.""

...Yes, I love puns, okay?

I am a Catholic, and have honestly tried to understand both sides of this argument and cannot understand the thought process behind same sex couples not having the civil right to get married with all the benifits traditional couples get. Nothing against same sex couples made logical sense. I can see where churches might not want to marry them, and think churches have a right to marry or not marry couples (a Catholic Church might not marry a divorcee or non Catholic) but why impose religious reasons on others? Has there ever been a not religious argument against same sex marriages?

Archived