IGNORED

Roe v. Wade shirt/TLC Blurs shirt

TheJewAmongUs

Also they would believe a woman should be punished because she chose to take the backyard abortion route. They would simply say "oh well, her fault." :angry-banghead:

I know the pro-life people at the church I had to attend while growing up were okay with legal abortion when their precious, innocent daughters turned up pregnant. How conveeeeeenient! (said in the Church Lady's voice)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I bet the way to stop them from wearing the shirts during filming is to tell them to go ahead and wear them but the money it costs to pixilate (sp) will be deducted from their profits. I bet they would disappear fast.

I never knew that there was a significant production cost for pixelating things out. I've noticed on other shows that tape is used to cover a logo/brand name. A big roll of painter's or masking tape would work well. They may need tape for Jessa's mouth as well.

I know the pro-life people at the church I had to attend while growing up were okay with legal abortion when their precious, innocent daughters turned up pregnant. How conveeeeeenient! (said in the Church Lady's voice)

Mullet would be onto that ASAP and calling them out on telly or something... :angry-banghead: :cray-cray: :penguin-no:

Who said that the pro life shirts aren't a form of advertising? those things cost $20 on the prolifeworld and Stand True websites, and probably cost about $2 to make. They even have a picture of the Duggars in one of the shirts. They have a slick web design, just like many stores do. The guy who has the website is also available for speaking tours. showing those T shirts is free advertising, just like if they had T-shirts that said "Dr. Pepper" on them.

That's because the only moral abortion is their own....

http://mypage.direct.ca/w/writer/anti-tales.html

I didn't break the link because I don't think the writer cares... and because I think it's just a standalone page..

Not a fan of those shirts, but I don't agree with blurring them. This is who the Duggars are and what they believe. Why isn't the audience allowed to see the truth?

Maybe on the show they should express their view against abortion including ectopic pregnancies and rape.

According to the Duggar website during the time Jim Bob was campaigning, in a case where the mothers life is at risk (ectopic pregnancy was listed as an example) all must be done to save the mothers life.

So while yes, they think the woman should birth a baby born out of rape or incest (and kill the fucker who raped the woman), if her life were in danger, her life is more important than the fetus.

I too knew plenty of prolife Catholics growing up that opted or abortion when they were faced with teen pregnancy. Even now my loudest prolife friend is the one with the most abortions in her past. Seems to be purely that its part of her parties platform.

My mother's side of the family is Catholic fundie and a lot of Catholics are very anti abortion/birth control.....unless it is them who needs the abortion or birth control, then God understands and forgives and they'll go to confession to absolve the sin.

It's interesting which things do or don't get blurred out. On the episodes this week JB had a couple shirts with sports teams or whatever that weren't blurred out, but I noticed at their soapbox derby picnic they had gatorade bottles where the wrappers had been peeled off. TLC probably wants to avoid the political aspect of their lives because they never really talk about any controversial beliefs on the show. TLC wouldn't want to alienate any potential viewers.

I wouldn't care if they wore the stupid shirts, except my child watches and I don't want to have that conversation with her. Or to have her think she "survived" Roe v. Wade. Because she didn't.

I don't disagree with you, but I just don't see TLC going to that length for that reason. I think the audience already knows about their extreme convictions, and after all, this is the same network that shows Sister Wives, Gypsy Sisters, etc. Wouldn't the audience already expect to see shirts like that on the Duggars?

Or perhaps specifically for the Duggars show, TLC wants to make a point to remain neutral?

IMO, it's different because those shows are specifically about the family's religion. The titles include their religion (or at least references to it).

The Duggar's show is not about their religion. It is about the sheer amount of kids.

Maybe on the show they should express their view against abortion including ectopic pregnancies and rape.

I don't think that they are opposed to delivering a child early for the sake of saving the mother's life, ala Josie.

Now they were lucky that she was as far along as she was but still there was only a 50ish% chance of survival for Josie. When push came to shove, they opted to deliver the baby to save Michelle (not I do not fault them for this- would have made the same choice). If she was not as far along, I think they would have made the same choice and then framed it as baby was delivered and doctors were unable to save her.

I wouldn't care if they wore the stupid shirts, except my child watches and I don't want to have that conversation with her. Or to have her think she "survived" Roe v. Wade. Because she didn't.

Shirt doesn't even make sense. Anti-choicers did not "survive" anything. The Duggar kids are the result of choice. Period.

I feel that way too. They survived nothing, except being born. because they were all wanted. Their shirt implies that Michelle actively thought about aborting every single one of them, her and Bin's mom.

I think they know that women would have dangerous back alley and clothes hanger abortions, but if a woman died or almost died in a DIY abortion, then that would be punishment, so it would be better than when women can have safe abortions and get away with it without punishment. It's part about saving fetuses, but it's part about punishing women.

Growing up in the pro-life movement I honestly did not realize that people had abortions before it was legal. The way things were presented it seemed like if we could just get abortion made illegal again that it would stop. So I would not be surprised if many of the Duggars think the same way that I did.

According to the Duggar website during the time Jim Bob was campaigning, in a case where the mothers life is at risk (ectopic pregnancy was listed as an example) all must be done to save the mothers life.

So while yes, they think the woman should birth a baby born out of rape or incest (and kill the fucker who raped the woman), if her life were in danger, her life is more important than the fetus.

This surprises me, because I would have assumed they would think that God was save the mother and/or the child as He saw fit. But I am glad to know that they do see the mother's life has some sort of value.

This surprises me, because I would have assumed they would think that God was save the mother and/or the child as He saw fit. But I am glad to know that they do see the mother's life has some sort of value.

From my understanding, this is the opposite of what Michael seewald has been saying on his blog. I was talking about it in the other thread quite a bit (Seewald social media thread here). Basically on instagram someone brings up many questions and situations to him, and from what I gather his opinion is, the child/fetus's life is always more important than the mothers' and she should give her own life for her child to potentially survive.

I don't disagree with you, but I just don't see TLC going to that length for that reason. I think the audience already knows about their extreme convictions, and after all, this is the same network that shows Sister Wives, Gypsy Sisters, etc. Wouldn't the audience already expect to see shirts like that on the Duggars?

Or perhaps specifically for the Duggars show, TLC wants to make a point to remain neutral?

I think in the week that transpired between Duggar boys laying carpet with the shirt in full view and this past week's episode blurring it out, is the furor over Jessa's Holocaust Museum post and the negative backlash as perceived by the Duggars, humpers, and TLC. The people buying ads for the Duggar's show aren't always wholesome (remember the birth control commercials?). At any rate, TLC has to answer to them, because ratings determine revenue. The Jessa Scandal became mainstream news, too big for TLC to ignore. They came right out and said they wouldn't mention where Smuggar works, nor have they ever covered their inflammatory speeches at rallies, or their participation at the far-right wing Values Voters Summit, even before Smuggar worked for its chief sponsor.

From my understanding, this is the opposite of what Michael seewald has been saying on his blog. I was talking about it in the other thread quite a bit (Seewald social media thread here). Basically on instagram someone brings up many questions and situations to him, and from what I gather his opinion is, the child/fetus's life is always more important than the mothers' and she should give her own life for her child to potentially survive.

I wonder how Michael would feel if his wife, Guinn, were to become pregnant again, and then something happened that would endanger her life as well as the baby's? What if she was diagnosed with cancer, and the only way to save her would be for her to begin chemotherapy, which would likely end the pregnancy? Or what if the fetus died in utero, and she needed to have the baby removed through medical intervention because she couldn't labor and deliver it on her own? Would he consider this an unecessary abortion even though it could save Guinn's life?

I wonder then if he would be so adamant in insisting that his wife, or any other woman, die for a pregnancy that might never come to fruition, leaving their other children motherless.

That kind of logic infuriates me. The mother is worth less than the child (or fetus) especially if mother has other children. Children need a live parent and not sky mommy who gave her life to fight abortion. :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

A few days ago, just for the shits and the giggles, I was watching anti-abortion propaganda, and it occurred to me that perhaps the reason that a lot of "normal" people are pro-life is because they are easily influenced by the propaganda. There is naturally a lot of blood in abortion, and Westerners at least tend to have a strong association of blood with "something evil is happening", so when they play scary music and show the doctor's gloved hands dripping with red blood, it's natural to feel revulsion.

I would like to have the same music but instead of an abortion show a film and facts about some other bloody operation, perhaps heart surgery, and show people that whenever they see anti-abortion films. That way they could think more about choice and less about the blood (well, they'd give the blood the thought it deserves, like in surgery).

This does not surprise me at all! I think TLC is scared to let the truth out about the Duggars' extremism. Several times I have posted info regarding Josh & the FRC (most recently about Tony Perkins on Fox News) on the 19 Kids facebook page and it IMMEDIATELY gets deleted.

Archived