IGNORED

Florida schools have to let satan in.

doggie

Well Chistians just had to push religion in schools now they have more then they wanted. it is about time people are fighting back.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/09/15 ... materials/

Florida Schools Have To Welcome Satanic Temple After Allowing Bible Thumpers To Expose Kids To Christian Materials

Oops. Looks like conservative “Christians†are about to throw major temper tantrums and they only have themselves to blame.

Florida schools that allow Christian materials to be read by students must open their doors to any religious group to provide materials of their own. That ruling came down from a Florida judge in August and now the Satanic Temple is coming to exercise real religious liberty.

Because bible thumpers at Orange County school district decided to push Christian religious materials upon their students while banning materials from other religious and non-religious groups, the school faced a lawsuit and agreed to allow the materials. Enter, the Satanic Temple.

The Satanic Temple is widely known for fighting to place a statue of Baphomet next to the Ten Commandments on the Oklahoma statehouse grounds. And now they’re bringing Satanic materials to kids in Florida, and it’s all thanks to “Christian†extremists.

Had Christian extremists let the school remain a secular place that honored the separation of church and state, the Satanic Temple would not have been able to introduce kids to The Satanic Children’s Big Book of Activities, which will be widely available in Orange County schools.

The activity book asks kids to find ways to be inclusive in order to solve problem. For instance, one set of instructions in the book says, “These bullies are mad and afraid of things they don’t understand. Help Damian use inclusive language to defuse the situation.†In addition to the activity book other materials will include “pamphlets related to the Temple’s tenets, philosophy and practice of Satanism, as well as information about the legal right to practice Satanism in school.â€

According to Satanic Temple spokesman Lucien Greaves,

All of the children in these Florida schools are already aware of the Christian religion and it’s Bible, and this might be the first exposure these children have to the actual practice of Satanism. We think many students will be very curious to see what we offer.

Greaves made a point to note, however, that the kids wouldn’t be exposed to Satanic Temple reading material had the school board not allowed Christians to distribute bibles and religious pamphlets in the first place.

i love this! christians have always been pushy for years, it's time other religions pushed back! while i'm pagan, it cheers my heart to see someone else taking a stance to show them their own hypocrisy. oh, you wanna fuss that satanist materials are being distributed? well YOU fought to give us that right, we're just exercising it!

iirc, the oklahoma court eventually took down the ten commandments, but i was happy to see the christian hypocrisy exposed for being just that. i can't stand self-righteous motherfuckers, and i always like to see them taken down a peg or two ;)

:lol: :lol: Only in Florida! The children's book protagonist is named Damien? :lol: :lol:

I noticed that too. Also Satanic Temple spokesman Lucien Greaves's name looks suspiciously like Lucifer Graves.

Actually, after seeing all these traditional values these whackadoodles that are being discussed here represent, I'm curious what a "satanic childraising" looks like. Maybe they don't whip babies and don't punch feminine boys when they "drop the limp wrist". I prefer when kids get to choose their own spiritual paths, but heck... bring it on.

I wonder what this really means. I've always understood that my local school districts have textbook coordinators, or some sort of person who actually purchases the materials, and that is all that is used in the school. I'm not familiar with outside groups purchasing materials for a school district.

This is saying that outside groups can provide materials. Materials for what exactly? What ages, what classes? Required or optional? Is it just that the materials are available somewhere in the school, like the library? Can some teachers make it mandatory for their classes but not other teachers?

I wonder if other groups can provide materials, non-religious groups. Like beer companies.

I wonder if other groups can provide materials, non-religious groups. Like beer companies.

from my understanding, this is for religious/spiritual information only.

Also, what's up with the inaccurate reporting?

The headline is just plain flat wrong. It isn't 'Florida schools' it is only Orange County. Big diff between one county and an entire state.

And who decided that county's schools were 'welcoming" Satanic Temple? There's... again.. a big diff between "welcoming" something and "being forced to allow it to happen."

Not one mention of exactly what these materials are, how the students are exposed to them... nothing of real relevance.

What a hysterial, crappy reporter.

Such irresponsible journalism. Wonder why the writer failed to mention that it was BOTH atheists and Christians and that both groups have been handing out materials. Atheists handed out materials LAST YEAR. This Satanic Temple is johnny-come-lately to the party and undoubtedly this has little to do with students and far more to do with getting free publicity for their new cause.

Also, what's up with the inaccurate reporting?

The headline is just plain flat wrong. It isn't 'Florida schools' it is only Orange County. Big diff between one county and an entire state.

And who decided that county's schools were 'welcoming" Satanic Temple? There's... again.. a big diff between "welcoming" something and "being forced to allow it to happen."

Not one mention of exactly what these materials are, how the students are exposed to them... nothing of real relevance.

What a hysterial, crappy reporter.

because it sounds more sensational in a country with a religious bias than "oh yeah, this one county's schools are being given stuff by this satanist sect" *shrug* we all know how the media loves to play up a good story. also, as i've pointed out in a previous thread, reporters these days aren't very good writers. seriously, i could write a better article as a freshman in high school and get the point and story across better than the reporters we've seen submit stories lately. horrible and poor choice of wording. it seems standards are pretty lax these days. jonah jameson would throw a fit.

Well, I'm not in favour that any child should be exposed to some Satanic religion at all. (around here, Satanists have really killed some people and injured some in their horrible "rituals")

But I truly hope that this kind of satanic temple is merely some kind of sarcastic mock religion.

And well, it's good if those Christian fundies and conservatives get a taste of their own medicine for once...

Real Satanists are nothing like you see on TV, and almost all "sat an c killings" are falsely tied to Satanism or just fakers. My knowledge mostly is about Church of Set, but believe there are some similarities. Mostly in the fact, they are nothing like you think. They don't do sacrifices human or animal, they tend to worship the individual, like to work towards getting there what, but really, the shit you see on TV, is all bullshit, left over from Hollywood and Geraldo specials from the 80's.

I am glad they are pushing the law, to show these people are they can't have it both ways.

For anyone curious, the pdf of the children's book is here:

thesatanictemple.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Activity_Book.pdf

For anyone curious, the pdf of the children's book is here:

thesatanictemple.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Activity_Book.pdf

Ha! I kinda love it. It's completely harmless, especially compared to preachy Christian shit kids get forced upon them.

Ha! I kinda love it. It's completely harmless, especially compared to preachy Christian shit kids get forced upon them.

That's what I'm asking. Is it really forced upon them? By either the Christians or the atheists?

I guess I'm never gonna know how these outsider materials are presented and used in that school system.

That's what I'm asking. Is it really forced upon them? By either the Christians or the atheists?

I guess I'm never gonna know how these outsider materials are presented and used in that school system.

I suppose you could call the Orange County public school system and ask.

From what I can tell, it is only that religious materials are allowed to be available to students, like in a pile in a library, not that any religious materials are being taught as part of the curriculum. But I had to follow several poorly written links to get that info. Seriously, it's like journalism has been handed over to 6 th graders!

I suppose you could call the Orange County public school system and ask.

If only some reporter could be trusted to report something truthfully and accurately. /sigh

In my mind, being given religious materials in a public school is having it forced on them, whether it's passed out by the teachers to each student or left in a pile for kids to take if they want to. None of it has any place in a public school. But regardless, I'll bet anything the satanic booklet is less preachy than whatever the Christians are presenting without even seeing their material. As for whatever the atheists have contributed, I just don't know.

The booklet is adorable! I haven't checked out their page, but I'm betting that this "satanic temple" is along the same line as the church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, i.e. created for protest/trolling purposes. But who knows, it might very well feed into the public-school-is-satan hysteria, and drive even more barely-literate parents into "homeschooling".

That is awesome. Cause seriously fundies, wanting religious material to be allowed in school goes against the separation of church and state, and if one religion is allowed to have their beliefs taught, why not all of them. Even Satanism.

Same with creationism. If they want creationism to be taught in schools, why show preference to their religion? Its not like theres any proof of one religion over the other. What about the other myths about how the world was created?

I'm actually from Orange County, and while some people are really up in arms about this, it seems to be a non-starter. The kids aren't being taught anything in class regarding any religion- it's simply that where some religious materials are, so must be others. Interest in the materials is kind of like fruit requirements with lunches: just because it's there doesn't mean they're taking it, and if they have to take it, they're probably just throwing it away. It's probably just a strange adjustment because it's the first time a religion other than the main Judeo-Christian theologies has really been presented in a manner like that, but it seems like such a non-issue and the kids probably won't even notice it anyway.

Well, I'm not in favour that any child should be exposed to some Satanic religion at all. (around here, Satanists have really killed some people and injured some in their horrible "rituals")

But I truly hope that this kind of satanic temple is merely some kind of sarcastic mock religion.

And well, it's good if those Christian fundies and conservatives get a taste of their own medicine for once...

uh oh, i think you've been watching too much geraldo. seriously, everything you just said has absolutely nothing to do with actual satanism. maybe try looking into it yourself first, you'll find it's very different than what the fundies espouse it to be.

i hope you don't also think that witchcraft and paganism worships satan.

Archived