IGNORED

Councilwoman says Flint needs God, not Scientology

lilwriter85

interesting story

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.s ... ays_f.html

Ron Fonger | rfonger1@mlive.com By Ron Fonger | rfonger1@mlive.com

FLINT, MI -- If the City Council endorses a moral code authored by Scientology creator L. Ron Hubbard, it apparently won't be with a unified voice.

Ward 2 Councilwoman Jackie Poplar walked out of a meeting last week after blasting "The Way to Happiness" program, which backers describe as a code of moral principles put forward by Hubbard.

Scientologist Monika Biddle asked council members on Aug. 22 to consider endorsing the program as a way to help introduce the ideas to the Flint area.

While some council members initially said they were willing to consider the endorsement and support of the program, Poplar and Councilman Wantwaz Davis have since said they are not on board.

"There's only one man who turned water into wine, and that was Jesus himself," Poplar said during the council's meeting on Aug. 25. "God Almighty gave Scientologists what they know but science always has a problem -- wrestling with God -- and I think this is one of the most childish things I've ever seen ... I think that's real stupid," Poplar said.

Flint has suffered for decades from high rates of violent crime, poverty and blight, and Hubbard's 73-page booklet, "The Way to Happiness," endorses 21 moral principles, including: "Take care of yourself, be temperate, don't be promiscuous, love and help children, and honor and help your parents."

Hubbard's 1948 book ''Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health,'' sold millions of copies and advances Scientology, which is aimed at promoting mental and spiritual health by training followers to overcome the aftereffects of past traumas, including those believed to have been experienced in previous lifetimes.

Biddle referred questions about "The Way to Happiness" to Caralyn Percy, president of the organization, and MLive-The Flint Journal could not immediately reach Percy for comment Thursday, Sept. 4.

Biddle made this comment in an email to MLive-The Flint Journal:

"We are happy that we have made so many friends in Flint with people who have the good of their community at heart and we look forward to continuing to work with them.

The Way to Happiness Foundation is non-political. We work with people at all levels, from grassroots to national police forces and government agencies to provide our help all over the country and indeed the world.

We welcome the participation of any individual or community in helping to spread this common sense moral code as broadly as possible. And that is how we have placed more than 100 million copies of The Way to Happiness into the hands of people who can benefit from it."

Seventh Ward Councilwoman Monica Galloway has defended the program, saying last week that it's "not about religion" but about promoting a set of basic moral standards everyone can agree on and that are lacking in Flint.

Police Chief James Tolbert has also said he sees value in the using the program, which promotes messages like, "Do not murder, don't do anything illegal, and do not steal."

The Way to Happiness Foundation web site says the organization was established as a resource center to assist the public in reversing "the current moral decline" and says about 100 million copies of "The Way to Happiness" have been distributed in more than 97 languages and in more than 170 countries.

The group suggests police officers give the book to members of the community, to neighborhood watch groups and those involved in community policing; get "The Way to Happiness" public service announcements played for youth groups, schools, after-school programs and detention centers; and get educators using the booklet in tutoring and mentoring programs.

Davis said he's not ready to follow the teachings of Hubbard.

"I don't agree with it. I don't support it," Davis said. "I don't think we need Scientology ... I think we have enough churches and denominations that can do just as good as the Scientologists."

Councilwoman Victoria VanBuren, chairwoman of the City Council's Public Safety Committee, said she doesn't plan to call for a vote on endorsing the program.

"It was brought to the committee. It was not something the committee asked for," VanBuren said of the proposal.

"God Almighty gave Scientologists what they know but science always has a problem -- wrestling with God"

When there are so many valid reasons to reject Scientology...

Sheesh.

"God Almighty gave Scientologists what they know but science always has a problem -- wrestling with God"

Sheesh.

Precisely what I thought--there are so many excellent reasons to think this is a crazy pants idea...but that's not one of them.

Sheesh.

If holding tin cans connected to a box that tells you all your problems doesn't turn you off of Scientology, I don't know what will.

Good grief, the wrong tactic was employed here. I agree that Scientology doesn't need to be part of the legislature's plan for decreasing violence, etc., but neither does any other religion.

From this quote, I suspect she doesn't have a clue what Scientology is, and thinks it has something to do with actual science.

Police Chief James Tolbert has also said he sees value in the using the program, which promotes messages like, "Do not murder, don't do anything illegal, and do not steal."

Call me crazy, but I can't help thinking that the Chief of Police would know that the local laws already cover this. :roll:

Isn't there anyone there who knows what Scientology is, realizes they are preying on a whole community down on its luck, like they do with individuals, and can just explain this without bringing Jesus into it?

The choice isn't Jesus vs. Hubbard, with no other options. They could, oh . . . I dunno . . . spend their time focusing on the job of running the city, perhaps?

It's not like Scientology has a copyright on those ideas (yet). If he wants to promote them, there's nothing stopping him from doing a bit of community outreach.

I thought this article was interesting because there was a lack of knowledge on Scientology on the councilwoman's part. On a related note, there are law enforcement agencies in southern California that embrace Scientology's anti-drug programs even though those programs are tied to scandals and controversy.

I thought this article was interesting because there was a lack of knowledge on Scientology on the councilwoman's part.

I figured that her naivety about what the word Scientology means was part of your reason for posting it. It sounds, from the article, like there was nobody there who knew, which, if true, is rather disturbing.

On a related note, there are law enforcement agencies in southern California that embrace Scientology's anti-drug programs even though those programs are tied to scandals and controversy.

That's sad and scary to hear.

Yeesh. :roll:

I've lived in Michigan my entire life and currently work and go to grad school in Flint. Let me tell you, this is only the tip of the crazy, Jeebus-fueled iceberg. Flint is full of very old, very big, and very influential churches. A lot of people here (especially those who've been here for a couple generations) just make the assumption that community affairs will be centered around the churches, and they're usually right. It's not all bad because the churches often work together to do a lot of good in the community, but this sort of thing is frustrating.

The fact that these council people don't know the difference between scientology and a sweatsock doesn't surprise me in the least. Flint is not exactly a paragon of intellectualism. That's changing among the younger generations, but the education level among a good percentage of the residents is downright sad. :(

*sigh*

all of this is more or less what I expect from the flint city council.

"Scientology is a dangerous cult--and what the hell, why would we introduce ANY relgion as a way of combating crime?" seems like an acceptable rebuttal. As does "why would police hand out books like this? "

Yeesh. :roll:

I've lived in Michigan my entire life and currently work and go to grad school in Flint. Let me tell you, this is only the tip of the crazy, Jeebus-fueled iceberg. Flint is full of very old, very big, and very influential churches. A lot of people here (especially those who've been here for a couple generations) just make the assumption that community affairs will be centered around the churches, and they're usually right. It's not all bad because the churches often work together to do a lot of good in the community, but this sort of thing is frustrating.

The fact that these council people don't know the difference between scientology and a sweatsock doesn't surprise me in the least. Flint is not exactly a paragon of intellectualism. That's changing among the younger generations, but the education level among a good percentage of the residents is downright sad. :(

I'm from Flint and I just want to say HI FELLOW MICHIGAN PERSON and also, I agree with your statement. There is a lot wrong with Flint but religion is not the thing that is going to fix it.

Archived