IGNORED

Shraders in Zambia - Welcome to Poisonwood, Stephen- Part 3

happy atheist

Man I correct in thinking that a chap who attended johns church back in America worked loads of overtime at work to pay for the paper for John to use in zambia?

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Shraders should partner with the Rodrigues and expand that printing ministry!

Then it could be "Printing the Word of the One True God Internationally"

Imagine how many people that would feed...

Well they can starve because John is going to give them the everlasting Word of God to feast on.

Eventually. Probably right around the time he flies the plane.

Man I correct in thinking that a chap who attended johns church back in America worked loads of overtime at work to pay for the paper for John to use in zambia?

Yes and no. To be persnickety, IIRC, John claimed (on FB) that a chap who attended one of his "deputation" preaching thingies at a church other than John's own somewhere in the US of A worked loads of overtime to pay for reams of paper to donate to John. John might have been fibbing spinning a story, of course.

This was several months after John decided to quit his job and support his family for 2 years "by Faith Alone" rather than afford his own reams of paper (and everything else to support his own kids.)

I'll need to search old FJ threads for the exact quote unless someone here that is "friended" can find it quickly on his now private FB archives . . .

I am trying to get my husband to the snake side. :( He keeps saying they cost to much.

What is it about husbands and snakes? My son and husband are not keen on my albino corn snake. However, I think my cats love my snake as much as I do. But wraps not in the same way.

It is horrific the way the Shrader family has called open season on snakes. And fiery fires. Idiots.

Okay, I volunteer myself as tribute and started making up a list of the things that Shrader has grifted. I used my google tactics to reach a best estimated price for some things, and for some things I used John Shrader's report of how much the items cost or were donated to buy those items. Since the Shrader's website is down, I used his twitter and the best of my recollections to remember the items. Of course, feel free to offer corrections or additions for pricing and items and I'll add them onto the master list. There are a few things I remember, but I have no earthly clue how much they cost.

Two Gestetner Printers w/ Two tonnes of paper: $10,000

Airfare to Zambia for 10 people: $10,000

Cost of brand new 2014 Toyota Landcruiser: $67,888

Zenith 801 STOL Airplane 4: $5,000

Flying Lessons: $9,000 (aopa.org/letsgoflying)

Accordion: $450

Yamaha MX-61 keyboard: $699.99

Plastic blow up pool: $15

Shipping Container from the United States to Zambia:

Visas for Multiple Entries to Zambia for 10: $800

United States Passports for 2 adults and 8 minors: $1, 040

Missionary Boot Camp in Missouri:

Esther’s midwife in Zambia:

Colloidal Silver Generator: $75

Life Savings of Crying Child: $800

Total: $105, 767.99

That is a lot of money. :shock: And it isn't even like he is over there saving souls.

Okay, I volunteer myself as tribute and started making up a list of the things that Shrader has grifted. I used my google tactics to reach a best estimated price for some things, and for some things I used John Shrader's report of how much the items cost or were donated to buy those items. Since the Shrader's website is down, I used his twitter and the best of my recollections to remember the items. Of course, feel free to offer corrections or additions for pricing and items and I'll add them onto the master list. There are a few things I remember, but I have no earthly clue how much they cost.

Zenith 801 STOL Airplane 4: $5,000

Flying Lessons: $9,000 (aopa.org/letsgoflying)

Giant Ass Papercutter:

Total: $104, 892.99

The Giant Ass Company did not list the price of their cutters online?

Sadly, no website for the Giant Ass Company.

My city does have a company called "Big Ass Solutions", makers of such products as the Big Ass Fan and Big Ass Light. My niece and nephew never tire of getting promotional trinkets from them.

ETA: I edited the list up there to add some more things that I found going through some of the old threads.

From Jan. 2011:

Someone paid off all our debt (3,500.00), paid for our babies birth (midwife, 3,000.00), and some of my amazing relatives are going together to buy our family a 16-17 k 15 passenger van with only 30 or 40 k miles...practically brand new! We've never had anything that new in our lives! I am so overwhelmed by all that so many have done to bless our family as we seek to serve God by seeing this baby church established here in the Northwest.

Holy crapola, with those things added in we have:

Zenith 801 STOL Airplane 4: $15,000

Flying Lessons: ETA: Apparently his flying lessons were free, but the license fees/testing/etc. is $9,000

Flight Permit in Zambia:

Missionary Boot Camp in Missouri:

Esther’s midwife in Zambia:

Life Savings of Crying Child: $800

Colloidal Silver Generator: $75

Debt: $3,500

Esther’s Midwife for Sophia: $3,000

Used 15 passenger van: $17,000

Total: $139,267.99

I was reading about the deputation process today. Apparently the cost of travelling around is at least $100,000. They collect honorariums when they visit churches and sometimes the congregation passes the plate.

We have no idea how much he's been sent since he was there, but it's probably a lot!

Still no news on the plane?

I think it will probably be hard to find out exactly how much money John has grifted but I bet that if it someone was able to do it the churches who supported him would be shocked at the amount.

Did he ever say how much support money he was trying to raise? He would give percentages(We've raised 60% of the support we need) but didn't ever seem to give a dollar amount.

I think John has about grifted all he can get, though. If he doesn't start saving a ton of souls the money is going to dry up fast.

Does anyone know the name of the church in NE Oregon that he was associated with?

My daughter lives in The Dales, Or. and I would like to have her nose around and maybe find out some good gossip.

Shipping container from the US to South Africa is about $4000 (without any belongings). I am not sure of Zambia, but the countries are next door to each other.

As for why Shrader didn't just pay someone in Zambia, and hence boost the local economy, to print and even drive his family around, is beyond me.

Does anyone know the name of the church in NE Oregon that he was associated with?

My daughter lives in The Dales, Or. and I would like to have her nose around and maybe find out some good gossip.

The sending church is Valley Baptist Church, Pacific Washington -- Valleybaptistonline.com.

To add to ViolaSebastian's list:

- Plane rental for learning to fly (you have the license and testing costs but not flight time).

- Several months of living in the basement of Valley Baptist over the winter of 2013/14 (thank goodness for the children) and free meals/accommodation at every church he went to on deputation.

- Esther's new washing machine purchased in Zambia.

Remarkable omissions from the list:

- God providing medical insurance x10 (now 11) as strongly recommended by Global International Baptist Missions (GIBM) - their 502©(3) clearing house.

- And no news on whether John was able to grift immunizations for the family, although he was asking for money for rabies vax before they left.

We will never know the grand total because a lot of the contributions to Team Zambia will have been in cash or kind, especially when on deputation. Still, I wonder whether the IRS will ever take a look at IGBM and other of these Fundie money laundries nonprofit clearing houses. The Rodrigues family and the Lockwoods (last time I looked) channel donations through the Central Missionary Clearinghouse (CMC) not IGBM.

Does anyone know how long a newly qualified pilot is allowed to NOT fly

Before having to take refresher lessons?

John qualified early 2014, he hasn't piloted a plane solo since then because the plane either doesn't exist/is a pile of scrap/has been stolen/

or any other reason we haven't thought of.

If he does have the chance to pilot a plane I hope he doesn't take any one with him as a passenger.

I hope no-one offers him the chance. EVER. :?

John qualified early 2014, he hasn't piloted a plane solo since then because the plane either doesn't exist/is a pile of scrap/has been stolen/

If he does have the chance to pilot a plane I hope he doesn't take any one with him as a passenger.

Also, John has only done the very basic level of training. I know this means you can only fly during daylight hours. There's extra training before you can fly at night. This limitation probably won't affect John but does anyone know, are there other limits on the licence which will affect his flying?

Assuming he actually has his license, it's forever. There are no specific tests to keep a private pilot's license- I technically can go fly a plane today despite not having done so in over 13 years.

Of course, it would be an unbelievably stupid thing to do. The rule of thumb is 100 flight hours a year to keep in minimal practice. I could probably take off, fly and land a plane today, so long as conditions were good- it's not that hard to do. Things would go rapidly south if I had to deal with bad weather or crappy facilities, and he'd be dealing with a place where weather forecasts are of iffy quality and with a lot of unimproved airstrips.

The airstrips usually have assorted birds and animals strolling across them,

grazing beside them or even lying in the sun on the warm Tarmac just chilling!

A scary thought tho:

If john ever does get his hands on a plane he might decide to take poor

Arcade with him to distribute bibles or whatever, just to show off to Arcade.

That would not turn out well. :?

Having had that thought I sincerely hope his plane is just a pile of rust and debris somewhere. :(

The airstrips usually have assorted birds and animals strolling across them,

grazing beside them or even lying in the sun on the warm Tarmac just chilling!

A scary thought tho:

If john ever does get his hands on a plane he might decide to take poor

Arcade with him to distribute bibles or whatever, just to show off to Arcade.

That would not turn out well. :?

Having had that thought I sincerely hope his plane is just a pile of rust and debris somewhere. :(

I have a wonderful photo of giraffes running across our runway as we were circling to land in Botswana.

This limitation probably won't affect John but does anyone know, are there other limits on the licence which will affect his flying?

I don't know, but I know what I wish it said: "Anyone who is a narcissistic asshole without a normal sense of danger may not fly a plane -- ever."

:(

Assuming he actually has his license, it's forever. There are no specific tests to keep a private pilot's license- I technically can go fly a plane today despite not having done so in over 13 years.

Of course, it would be an unbelievably stupid thing to do. The rule of thumb is 100 flight hours a year to keep in minimal practice. I could probably take off, fly and land a plane today, so long as conditions were good- it's not that hard to do. Things would go rapidly south if I had to deal with bad weather or crappy facilities, and he'd be dealing with a place where weather forecasts are of iffy quality and with a lot of unimproved airstrips.

I've done a bit of googling. He probably has an FAA private pilots license. To fly in Zambia, he will probably need to convert to an EASA license. I think it requires hours of flying and money.

As for the plane, he likely did not keep it maintained in the months since he bought it. Animals could have damaged it. It's probably been quite hot. That can really wear on any kind of basically abandoned vehicle.

My ex had a PPL. I remember that the fuel was quite costly. Insurance was pretty cheap. The engines have to be basically rebuilt every 1500-2000 hours. I wonder how many hours were on that engine. I found this expense advice on a new plane online:

Here's an example "cost of ownership" for a brand new, single engine piston plane, such as a Cessna 172: multiply the average cost (found in the tables below) of the 100hr inspection by 14 (the number of inspections you will complete), and then add the engine replacement cost at the 1500th hour. Divide that by the 1500 hours you will fly it, and you will get the "cost per hour" for that first engine.

- Example: $2,198 x 14 = $30,772 + $22,00 = $52,772 / 1500 = $35.18/hr

Yes, a small piston engine is listed at $22,000.

This doesn't include the fuel.

I imagine a "good christian" sold him a hunk of junk and he didn't really look into it because God provides everything. No matter how stupid, God doesn't throw up his hands. He provides!

Per facebook John has parted ways with his previous church and now his "sending church" is his dad's church in Katy...

Archived