IGNORED

How not to react when your child tells you that he's gay

doggie

my brother came out years ago, when my parents were steeped in religion. they shunned him, never even speaking of him for years, from the time i was about 4. they never even told me why, just that he was a "bad man" and they didn't want him to influence me. i didn't even know he was gay until i was 19. a lot of what they're saying sounds a lot like what they would have said - and probably did say - to him.

for the record, though, i still turned out pansexual, so i guess their plan of not associating with gays didn't work in terms of me being straight :P

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I find it interesting that the woman who starts going on about the Bible is his step-mother. So his parents are divorced (SIN) or his parents never married and had him out of wedlock (SIN). Once again, someone cherry-picking the parts of the Bible they like. :angry-banghead:

I feel bad for the boy. No parents should ever speak to their child like that.

This. Unless the poor guys mother died of course, but I don't think it's likely. It's so disgusting when people, who have been divorced and remarried several times, tell people, who have been together for decades, that they can't get married because they think it's against the bible.

(Not that someones personal faith or interpretation of a religious book should determine if other people should be able to get married in first place. But this example just shows how hypocritical some people are.)

• 2 weeks later...

You do realize that that this article does not actually say that Pierce himself gave the money. It says that he offered, which is also what he repeated a few times on the gofundme page. Nowhere does it say that he actually gave anything.

That 10k comes from donations other people made because of the video. If he had donated it, it would be all over the gofundme page and the article would be more specific.

The gofundme page raised 93k. It wasn't started by a boyfriend, it's owned by someone named Regina Ryan who claims to be a friend. If it was a boyfriend, it would openly say that.

Gotta give credit where credit is due. The kid knows how to pull heartstrings and open wallets.

How about a public and open accounting of exactly what happened to all that money? Receipts. Proof.

You do realize that that this article does not actually say that Pierce himself gave the money. It says that he offered, which is also what he repeated a few times on the gofundme page. Nowhere does it say that he actually gave anything.

That 10k comes from donations other people made because of the video. If he had donated it, it would be all over the gofundme page and the article would be more specific.

The gofundme page raised 93k. It wasn't started by a boyfriend, it's owned by someone named Regina Ryan who claims to be a friend. If it was a boyfriend, it would openly say that.

Gotta give credit where credit is due. The kid knows how to pull heartstrings and open wallets.

How about a public and open accounting of exactly what happened to all that money? Receipts. Proof.

i'm not trying to say nothing under the table is going on. but, we've run into reporters being stupid with wording before.

right before the quote about the $10,000 being offered, it says this:

His organization is seeing huge donations through diverted funds for Daniel Pierce, the Georgia teen who secretly recorded his parents' reaction to his announcement he is gay.

the wording itself isn't 100% clear, but the way i read it is that the funds donated to daniel pierce is being diverted to them, not that people are donating to them instead of daniel directly.

later in the article, it says

"I would say we're right at $10,000 (through Pierce donations), said Westbrook.

to me, that says that westbrook is giving the amount of donations they've received through the diverted funds, which to me at least, would indicate that it is given.

seriously, can i just go be a reporter? i know i can do a helluva lot better job in wording to make things clear and get a point across than a lot of reporters we've run across lately.

Archived