IGNORED

How not to react when your child tells you that he's gay

doggie

I love how mom says she knew he was gay since he was a little child but is dumfounded when he turns out to be gay. think it is she knew he was gay but expects him to deny it and lead a "normal" life.

[bBvideo 560,340:2rs0uk8a]

[/bBvideo]

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That poor, poor man. That was heartbreaking...devastating to listen to. And these people think that God is going to welcome them with open arms in heaven because they're sooooo "holy"? They make me sick, and push me even further away from religion.

Oh, yeah, like all racists have African-American friends.

There's been a crowd funding set up for him. I've never donated before, but I am now. This was just too sad to let him go unsupported.

My heart just breaks for that young man. HOW can you say you have known he was gay his whole life as you start and them launch into that hate and venom?

Right, every struggling 20 year old who finds the courage come out makes a choice...because being condemned, disowned and beaten up just seemed like a good option? Come on people, wake up!!! This is not a choice made to destroy the lives of family members but a point when lying and pretending to be something he is not is worse than THAT response.

My heart just breaks for that young man. HOW can you say you have known he was gay his whole life as you start and them launch into that hate and venom?

Right, every struggling 20 year old who finds the courage come out makes a choice...because being condemned, disowned and beaten up just seemed like a good option? Come on people, wake up!!! This is not a choice made to destroy the lives of family members but a point when lying and pretending to be something he is not is worse than THAT response.

I feel like she made an excellent case against her own argument with that reaction.

That was very painful to listen to. I can only imagine how painful it was to sit through.

FWIW, I read on FB the hateful woman speaking, and hitting him, was actually his stepmother, and that his mother is supportive of him. So, I guess there's that.

If it's real: Boy I hope he finds a new, better family.

That's why I hate those "real Christians". That's not loving others. Don't they see that this is NOT Christ-like!?

This is why I hate Christians thinking because a Christian is a Christian they are somehow a better person.

If he killed someone they would not have went so off on him.

That video made me physically ill. That poor young man. Holy shit. Any parent who thinks that the opinions of the community are more important than the health of their child doesn't deserve to be a parent. This kid is so brave for not just living this, but putting the film out and exposing such hatred for what it is. Oh, god, I hope he has some kind of support outside these lunatics.

That video made me physically ill. That poor young man. Holy shit. Any parent who thinks that the opinions of the community are more important than the health of their child doesn't deserve to be a parent. This kid is so brave for not just living this, but putting the film out and exposing such hatred for what it is. Oh, god, I hope he has some kind of support outside these lunatics.

strangers will provide better support then his parents

That was awful to watch. I hope that young man can find peace & acceptance away from that bunch of crackers. It's their loss.

This reminded me of something my mom just told me.

I have a neighbor in my hometown who lived two houses away. She was the second of four, and the first daughter, in a very Catholic household. But, surprise! When I got engaged to my partner, she messaged me to appreciate my courage and tell me she was gay and stuck in the closet for years.

So my mom told me she was recently talking to this girl, Emma's, mom. The mom had a lot to say about Emma, and confided in my mom. She kept telling my mom that Emma being gay was not what God wanted, and she wants to keep her away from the other kids, but especially the youngest daughter because "she's too young to understand" (youngest is 14, ffs! My 5 year old niece can understand!) Then, she said she wouldn't "be welcoming Emma in their home any more."

I don't know how my mom felt, and I don't think she argued this or tried to say, "hey, my daughter is gay and she's welcome in my home!" (I don't really FEEL welcome, but that's for other reasons, and my mom likes to construct her public persona as being a loving, accepting parent).

But yeah, I feel bad. It's a bit close to home for me right now. Poor kid. She's almost 20 by now at the very oldest.

This is why I hate Christians thinking because a Christian is a Christian they are somehow a better person.

If he killed someone they would not have went so off on him.

And I hate enormous generalizations, like the one you made. :angry-banghead:

Hey, doggie. I'm gay-married and Christian! I am like the literal opposite of these types of people.

Just wanted to tell you it's possible.

Been many surveys that show a very large percentage if Christians don't trust non Christians based on them not bring Christian. Wee see blind trust over and over for preachers who are not trust worthy. So generally if you are not a Christian you are not a moral person.

Seems parents should read the bible

1 Timothy 5:8

Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

Been many surveys that show a very large percentage if Christians don't trust non Christians based on them not bring Christian. Wee see blind trust over and over for preachers who are not trust worthy. So generally if you are not a Christian you are not a moral person.

I'm sorry, but that doesn't even make any logical sense. 77% of U.S. Adults identify as some form of Christian. 60% of U.S. Adults support same sex marriage. Obviously there is huge overlap.

While you do have religious extremists, of ALL religions, who are opposed to same sex marriage you also have non-religious people who are opposed. But what has been proven, is that acceptance for marriage equality has grown rapidly, across all groups of people, in the past decade, and continues to gain acceptance with every poll that is taken.

Can you point to any actual polls that show that most people who are Christian don't trust people who aren't Christian? Because what I'm finding are some extremists saying that, and then other extremists commenting on how bad that is. But no actual polls that cover a wide range of randomly chosen Christians and their beliefs regarding the trustworthiness of other individuals based solely on religion.and this is the sort of poll topic that would have to be done randomly in order to not just get people who feel passionately about the issue responding.

I can't find them of course but it was this year. I think it was even posted here. seems it was around 70% of christian and other religious people don't trust non religious people or maybe don't think they are moral would be the better term.

Something about that bothered me. The conversation almost seemed like a script with a gay man and stereotypically fundie parents. And by an amazing coincidence, the whole thing happened to be recorded with pretty good audio. Also, there's apparently a link for people to donate money. Sorry to sound cold, but has anyone verified this story?

I'm sorry, but that doesn't even make any logical sense. 77% of U.S. Adults identify as some form of Christian. 60% of U.S. Adults support same sex marriage. Obviously there is huge overlap.

While you do have religious extremists, of ALL religions, who are opposed to same sex marriage you also have non-religious people who are opposed. But what has been proven, is that acceptance for marriage equality has grown rapidly, across all groups of people, in the past decade, and continues to gain acceptance with every poll that is taken.

Can you point to any actual polls that show that most people who are Christian don't trust people who aren't Christian? Because what I'm finding are some extremists saying that, and then other extremists commenting on how bad that is. But no actual polls that cover a wide range of randomly chosen Christians and their beliefs regarding the trustworthiness of other individuals based solely on religion.and this is the sort of poll topic that would have to be done randomly in order to not just get people who feel passionately about the issue responding.

I think it depends in part on who gets to define "Christian." I attend church. I'd classify myself as Christian-- a universalist Trinitarian who enjoys reading feminist and queer theology.

Most of the self-identified Christians who are staunchly opposed to same sex marriage would insist I am not *really* Christian.

I find it interesting that the woman who starts going on about the Bible is his step-mother. So his parents are divorced (SIN) or his parents never married and had him out of wedlock (SIN). Once again, someone cherry-picking the parts of the Bible they like. :angry-banghead:

I feel bad for the boy. No parents should ever speak to their child like that.

Archived