IGNORED

Mormonism modesty?

alysee

:lol: That was a bigger problem for me than having to wear a dress to church. That was one of the disconnects that sent me running for the exits. DH finds the 12 year old priests and 19 year old elders both blasphemous and hilarious. A pastor friend calls them "youngers" :lol:

Wow... Every time I think I have a good handle on all that's wacky in LDS... :doh:

Wow... Every time I think I have a good handle on all that's wacky in LDS... :doh:

The wierd thing is there is a Goddess they only call Heavenly Mother who is silent and they are NOT allowed to pray to her but they venerate her as a super breeder. :shock:

Regarding church, women don't technically have to wear skirts--there are no rules against it--but there is strong cultural pressure to do so. I'm really not sure why dressy pants are considered inappropriate for church, but that's what they say.

Regarding church, women don't technically have to wear skirts--there are no rules against it--but there is strong cultural pressure to do so. I'm really not sure why dressy pants are considered inappropriate for church, but that's what they say.

It is so strong that I can't wear pants to any church because it feels WRONG! I haven't attended a LDS church in years.

You can wear a bikini if you want--no Wholesome Wear is required.

Since when?! As a young woman in the church iswimsuits were very strict to one pieces.

You'd be reprimanded at girls camp if you brought a bikini or tankini. And you couldn't go swimming at all. They told us it didn't matter if it covered your stomach, it was still immodest in the Lord's view.

And as far as my experience, I was taught that tank tops were not allowed nor were any shorts that came above the knees. Tops were to show no cleavage or upper chest. And dresses or skirts were expected in church. Many of the ward members would talk about those women who wore pants. Hair was to be kept tidy and colorful dyes were frowned upon. Women were allowed to have one peircing in each ear, no more than that. Men were not supposed to have any. And no peircings on the body or face were allowed. Tattoos were also very much frowned upon.

We were also taught that we needed to be modest in our likes and actions. For example music needed to be uplifting and rated R movies were frowned upon. I remember as a teenager, my friends had a movie night and we watched Freddie Vs. Jason and I repented as soon as I got home and felt so much guilt.

I've heard Girls Camp rules are completely ridiculous, but I've known lots of Mormons who wear bikinis otherwise. Seriouslysoblessed (which I miss--someone should do a fundie version) satirized that a bit, mentioning "modest bikinis" in posts like http://seriouslysoblessed.blogspot.com/ ... oming.html and http://seriouslysoblessed.blogspot.com/ ... riend.html

I also think it's important to remember that Utah Mormons are a whole 'nuther ball of wax from the rest of the country. They tend to be more letter of the law and judgemental of others. To me, they are the fundies of the mainstream LDS world.

I agree that I have never heard it was ok to wear a bikini, other than in your own backyard. A tankini in public is considered immodest in some circles. None of the our nieces are allowed to wear bikinis. And yes Girl's Camp is basically a brainwashing session.

Yes, Utah mormons do tend to be extreme, but they're extreme here too. And I live in Michigan.

In my ward, if a member saw you wearing a bikini you'd become the ward gossip. Not only my ward, but in my stake too.

I remember my first year at girls camp. Two girls were talking about how they went to another girls camp and when they were changing, they saw one girl in a thong and so they took a picture and hung it on the bulletin board to "show what a bad mormon that girl was." But later that day one of the girls who had talked about the other camp trip, went on to say how all the boys at school loved her because of her ass.

I feel bad for FLDS women and children who live in places like Texas and Arizona and have to wear those long sleeves all the time. Those have to be horrible to wear during the summer.

Do most mainstream mormons wear the temple garments under their regular clothes everyday, or only under their clothes for church? I know that you only have to start wearing them once you're married, but I was under the impression that most young married couples these days only wear their garments to church on Sundays.

I've got a garment question....was it ever expected that you wear your bra & underwear OVER the garments instead of under them? My neighbor does that. I don't know how the subject came....she's very devout but probably also much more open & friendly than the majority of her friends who seem pretty meek in comparison, but she wears her garments under her underwear & bra. For the undies I'd say then why bother, but how is the bra supposed to really fit and do it's job when you've got all that material bunched up in it? They're from Utah originally.

Bra is worn over the garments - the idea is that the garments touch your skin and protect you. This standard, uh changes a bit when it's the woman's time of the month.

Over the summer, I committed a fashion faux pas apparently when I took my daughters to a pool party, and they were the only ones wearing bikinis. I did not know that EVERYONE else attending was Mormon. The Mom of the family has all sorts of tattoos on her arms, so it never occurred to me that she was a Mormon (I guess she had some rebellion teenage years and has since returned to the fold).

I've got a garment question....was it ever expected that you wear your bra & underwear OVER the garments instead of under them? My neighbor does that. I don't know how the subject came....she's very devout but probably also much more open & friendly than the majority of her friends who seem pretty meek in comparison, but she wears her garments under her underwear & bra. For the undies I'd say then why bother, but how is the bra supposed to really fit and do it's job when you've got all that material bunched up in it? They're from Utah originally.

A woman can do it however she is most comfortable. I personally wear my bra over. I know girls who wear it under. Whatever you want to do is ok. Nobody is checking.

I suspect the bra over/under arguments stem from the fact that garments were invented long before bras came on the scene. I'd think you would definitely want a layer of cloth under a corset. Bras, not so much.

My skin gets irritated easily and I have a very large cup size so my selection of bras is limited. Most of the time I wear a thin tank top underneath my bra just to get through the day. I wonder if anyone has noticed and thought I was Mormon? My Mormon friends, well the female ones, wear the garment over their bras. I knew one Mormon guy who was pretty "defrauding" and wore very tight t-shirts, but the garment never looked obvious under it.

I googled Mormon wedding dresses and really liked what I saw. They were so different than the ubiquitous strapless gown.

DH finds the 12 year old priests and 19 year old elders both blasphemous and hilarious. A pastor friend calls them "youngers" :lol:

:lol:

So, does that mean that, if the Maxwells met one of them, they'd call him "The Youngerly?"

;)

Archived