IGNORED

Darth's in Labor/Darthy had her baby! MERGED

PBrooke

In fundieworld, she is; she's about 19.

I guess the Mortons' internet is still out?

Rachel posted on her blog about a month ago making it sound like it's been back. Hence my "is she courting" since Addie was really their main updater. Martha does some but not as much.

I'll bite-why is she every ones pet fundie?

I don't know about anyone else, but for me it was because she seemed the most confident, independent, and adjusted of all the Morton/Smith girls who are married. It's really clear when you look at all the wedding pictures/stories. The other girls and guys did what Daddy wanted. Dorthy's wedding was very obviously different with a lot of touches that made it seem like their own decisions (including my favorite - the first kiss behind parasol).

Their views are still very abhorrent but the kids were raised this way, and at least these two seem pretty genuinely happy with each other. I really doubt some of the other couples would have happened if they lived a different lifestyle.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dorthy's wedding was very obviously different with a lot of touches that made it seem like their own decisions (including my favorite - the first kiss behind parasol).

I haven't followed this trio of families much at all. I VERY much like that detail. Very much indeed.

Egad. That name is dreadful. Isn't one of the youngest Morton boys named Edwin? I actually like that better than Enoch. I really hope they call him... anything else than that. Happy the baby was born healthy and weighed over 7lbs! I for one was a little nervous that Darth was going to have a small baby since she seemed so tiny throughout her pregnancy.

Is it just me? I think the baby looks just like Noah. I know we were discussing whether she'd go to a hospital or not, but judging by the blankets I'd say it was a home birth.

Yes, I think I came to like D & N because their courting story sounded like your typical one - their families played up the fact that they'd never had a private conversation before Noah came knocking - but eventually it really seemed like that was just spouting the VF party line. Their families had been close for years, and they were joined at the hip immediately following the engagement - seemed like there must have been some (proper) flirting going on at the very least, and actual, real chemistry. Then there was the fact that they were "engaged," NOT "betrothed," and they didn't have a betrothal ceremony like all of her older siblings; the wedding seemed very down-to-earth; Noah may be a smidge dorky but he's not a creeper like most fundie guys; and, of course, the parasol for the first kiss, which took the squick factor of making their sex lives public and sort of seemed like a big eff you to all that. And I don't think I've ever seen a fundie wedding where the bride looked so happy: refinersfireforge.com/blog/?p=1513

Is it just me? I think the baby looks just like Noah. I know we were discussing whether she'd go to a hospital or not, but judging by the blankets I'd say it was a home birth.

To me, the mouth and the chin look like Dorothy. But it's hard to tell with newborns - they always look like little old men to me, and then after a few weeks they start getting their "baby" face.

It does look like a home birth - and in a way, even that is breaking with some amount of tradition, because all of her siblings seem to have had the majority of their kids on the Morton compound. Even Katie, who doesn't live on the compound, has birthed at least a few, if not all, of her babies in her parents' bed (yikes). Although, I've been wondering if they moved to the compound in the last six months, because it seems like Katie's pictured more often than not...

Morton blog has a small update, and Addie's clearly giddy about something... the only question is whether it's just about Cleve (who has always been her favorite, it seems) or something else...

I don't know about anyone else, but for me it was because she seemed the most confident, independent, and adjusted of all the Morton/Smith girls who are married. It's really clear when you look at all the wedding pictures/stories. The other girls and guys did what Daddy wanted. Dorthy's wedding was very obviously different with a lot of touches that made it seem like their own decisions (including my favorite - the first kiss behind parasol).

The Saunders tell the story that their father "released" Noah for marriage, and when Noah asked for his sisters' advice, they were all enthusiastic for Dorothy. One gets the feeling that these two families have spent time together, and both sides noticed there was chemistry between these two.

Their views are still very abhorrent but the kids were raised this way, and at least these two seem pretty genuinely happy with each other. I really doubt some of the other couples would have happened if they lived a different lifestyle.

By "other couples" do you mean the other Morton/Smith siblings? Rachel/Wes, Kressant/Mike, and Katie/Alan (did I get all their names straight?) all seem to get along very well w/ their respective mates. This too, seemed like a situation where the families spent enough time together that the young people knew they were interested in each other before they were allowed to court. I'd say these unions had a better chance of working out than the Josh/Anna pairing where there was less of a chance to get to know each other. I'm more surprised when the Kristina/Josh unions work out because there was so little time (and opportunity -> 6 inch rule) to really get to know each other before getting married.

In addition to BOARDWALK EMPIRE, the name "Enoch" makes me think of two things:

1) Max Beerbohm's story "Enoch Soames," about a man who makes a pact with the Devil;

2) Robert Bloch's story "Enoch," about a tiny brain-eating demon.

I don't particularly have any preconceptions about the name Enoch, so I think it's fine. I don't like the biblical names that are 4 syllables long; Enoch is short and punchy, like Hank, Rex, Oscar, Felix - it's almost a hipster fundie name!

I don't particularly have any preconceptions about the name Enoch, so I think it's fine. I don't like the biblical names that are 4 syllables long; Enoch is short and punchy, like Hank, Rex, Oscar, Felix - it's almost a hipster fundie name!

You mean you don't like Mahershalalhashbaz?!

The Saunders tell the story that their father "released" Noah for marriage, and when Noah asked for his sisters' advice, they were all enthusiastic for Dorothy. One gets the feeling that these two families have spent time together, and both sides noticed there was chemistry between these two.

Oh for sure. I have a feeling that's why he was so anxious to be released, I think he was fearful Dorthy would end up with someone else. The two have a lot in common, and I doubt the siblings are above teasing/pointing these things out subtly.

By "other couples" do you mean the other Morton/Smith siblings? Rachel/Wes, Kressant/Mike, and Katie/Alan (did I get all their names straight?) all seem to get along very well w/ their respective mates. This too, seemed like a situation where the families spent enough time together that the young people knew they were interested in each other before they were allowed to court. I'd say these unions had a better chance of working out than the Josh/Anna pairing where there was less of a chance to get to know each other. I'm more surprised when the Kristina/Josh unions work out because there was so little time (and opportunity -> 6 inch rule) to really get to know each other before getting married.

Yes the siblings, although not as much Katie/Alan. Imo, I'm not 100% convinced that Kressant/Michael and Wes/Rachel would have picked each other given the freedom to just date. No exact reasoning, just going on my own gut feeling and the mostly cynical thought that a lot of the marriages happened partly because the families are so close and didn't want to lose the daughters in too many directions. I mean imagine you've been told that wives follow their husbands. If you didn't marry a Morton, you might be miles and miles from your sisters and close friends under a whole new "headship" who would control how often you saw your family. Not that I don't think they're completely miserable, I just don't know that that they were given the chance to find the most compatible person for them. I do agree that they are in some ways in a better position, if only because they have the siblings to help guide them.

What I always think about with the S'Mortons is that Papa Morton originally turned down Alan, or pushed him to the side because he was in "talks" with some other guy. I always wondered who it was, if Katie knew who it was, etc. Katie seems so happy, but they've always made so much about how she was freaking out, thinking she would never get married... I always wonder if she would have been this happy with ANY reasonable guy. I think she was in her late 20s when she got married.

I had the sex right but not the date, as I didn't care when he was born as long as he was healthy, I don't care I was wrong. ;) I think he is a cutie and I hope he has his daddy's ginger hair.

What I always think about with the S'Mortons is that Papa Morton originally turned down Alan, or pushed him to the side because he was in "talks" with some other guy. I always wondered who it was, if Katie knew who it was, etc. Katie seems so happy, but they've always made so much about how she was freaking out, thinking she would never get married... I always wonder if she would have been this happy with ANY reasonable guy. I think she was in her late 20s when she got married.

See this is how I view the Smith sisters as well. Happy to be married and mothers.

Really??? That may explain why she's having a kid every year w/o a break.

I wasn't aware that there was another guy. Katie and Alan looked smitten at their wedding (if you remember, she lovingly washed his feet, and they both looked totally into it.) I can't imagine there would have been that level of chemistry between two people who had never kissed unless they cared for each other deeply.

Yes the siblings, although not as much Katie/Alan. Imo, I'm not 100% convinced that Kressant/Michael and Wes/Rachel would have picked each other given the freedom to just date. No exact reasoning, just going on my own gut feeling and the mostly cynical thought that a lot of the marriages happened partly because the families are so close and didn't want to lose the daughters in too many directions. I mean imagine you've been told that wives follow their husbands. If you didn't marry a Morton, you might be miles and miles from your sisters and close friends under a whole new "headship" who would control how often you saw your family. Not that I don't think they're completely miserable, I just don't know that that they were given the chance to find the most compatible person for them. I do agree that they are in some ways in a better position, if only because they have the siblings to help guide them.

I would agree w/ this IF there appeared to be less chemistry w/ each of the subsequent couples, but Kressant and Michael seemed to get along pretty well, and Rachel and Wes seem to be totally into each other. I would say R&W appear more into each other than K&M, but not everyone is all snuggle-bunnies in front of a camera, or in front of others.

More pictures were posted on the Sanders site.

I know everyone is different and has their own preferences and priorities, but I could never make the birth of my child such an extended family affair. To me, it's personal and private, including only the mom who is giving birth, the dad, maybe another coach/support person and the necessary professionals. Family can all come the next day, after there has been some sleep, intimate family bonding time and absorbing of the experience. I know they are an extremely close family and extended family and their beliefs contribute to it being an extended family affair. But, I can't get past my own belief that the birth of a child is between the mother and father and not all the siblings and in-laws and parents. I also know that there are cultures where childbirth is a community event, at least among the women of the community.

But all that aside, in the year 2011 in the United States, and based on my own preferences and experiences, I could never have that many people present for or immediately following such a hugely powerful and emotional (and physical) experience. While I haven't given birth, my view is if I did, it's MY kid, dammit; mine and my partner's. WE created the kid, so we will be the ones to welcome it to the world and bond with it - alone. Ya'll can come later, after we've done our thing.

I agree with you personally, fundiefan, but it's worth pointing out that in the case of THIS mother - the only one who matters in the birth - well, she wasn't raised in the environment of most others in the US in 2011. Darth was the last Morton baby to be born in the hospital; every sibling whose birth she recalls has been born at home. Her sister has given birth multiple times in her house, as well as her sisters-in-law. She was literally raised in a different culture. This might well be the way she feels most comfortable.

It's interesting to note that the Morton parents clearly drove over for the birth, as well as Martha and maybe one of the other Morton boys. It's also obvious, from the pictures and the Morton blog post, that Addie was not there. Sure, maybe they needed someone to watch the other kids, but there's four-plus other adults on the compound. Addie's so attached to her sisters, you'd think wild horses couldn't keep her. Maybe she's got a cold or something - but curiouser and curiouser...

I would agree w/ this IF there appeared to be less chemistry w/ each of the subsequent couples, but Kressant and Michael seemed to get along pretty well, and Rachel and Wes seem to be totally into each other. I would say R&W appear more into each other than K&M, but not everyone is all snuggle-bunnies in front of a camera, or in front of others.

I definitely think R & W seem pretty into one another but K & M on the other hand seem sort of cold. That one definitely strikes me as an "arranged" sort of thing. Or at the very least, a marriage of convenience. Seems like they're making the most of it and all but Michael Jr always seems miserable to me in every picture he's in. Or maybe his personality just sucks. At any rate I'm glad Kres has her sister living next door to her.

I agree with you personally, fundiefan, but it's worth pointing out that in the case of THIS mother - the only one who matters in the birth - well, she wasn't raised in the environment of most others in the US in 2011. Darth was the last Morton baby to be born in the hospital; every sibling whose birth she recalls has been born at home. Her sister has given birth multiple times in her house, as well as her sisters-in-law. She was literally raised in a different culture. This might well be the way she feels most comfortable.

It's interesting to note that the Morton parents clearly drove over for the birth, as well as Martha and maybe one of the other Morton boys. It's also obvious, from the pictures and the Morton blog post, that Addie was not there. Sure, maybe they needed someone to watch the other kids, but there's four-plus other adults on the compound. Addie's so attached to her sisters, you'd think wild horses couldn't keep her. Maybe she's got a cold or something - but curiouser and curiouser...

Agreed and I tried to express that I know the differences while still expressing how I can't comprehend it. I know that the life lived and the values people hold plays a role in all decisions. I just personally cannot imagine it and it would make me go ballistic and have a tantrum and throw everyone out. If they are happy and comfortable, then it works for them and is good. I just can't comprehend it.

She looked fabulous all throughout her pregnancy, and she looked fabulous after he was born. It's striking how similar the pictures of baby Noah and baby Enoch are.

eeek I'm wearing different glasses today and I didn't even see you guys had a thread going already!!! I was like "Where's the Sanders baby thread??" Sorry, mods if you can merge/delete mine? Sorry, I'm just sooo excited for that!!! Yay!!!

It may be more of a family dynamics thing than a fundie thing. When my sister gave birth (both times), we had people in the waiting room with a cooler of snacks and drinks, people napping in chairs from 5 AM until she gave birth somewhere around 10 PM. It was like a party. I'm reasonably sure the nurses wished we'd all get the hell on. But it was just the way my sister wanted it. She would have felt terribly alone if it were just her & her husband.

Sorry if someone's already said this, but is it normal to have an elaborate post-birth photo shoot? That poor baby looks like he just wants to sleep in half those photos. Instead he got passed around to some 20 odd people with a camera following him around....

Archived