IGNORED

Darth's in Labor/Darthy had her baby! MERGED

PBrooke

Vitafam's twitter says: On my way to hopefully meet my new niece or nephew. Already weepy bc I remember the day my brother was born...

No snark from me 'cause honestly I'm excited for them. Happy thoughts!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is one I was watching for! I will admit, as fundie as they are, I wish them genuine happiness. They seem like the most in love couple I've ever seen courtship produce. (just judging by pictures)

What I'm missing, however, is Addie's play-by-play that she usually writes. Dropping the ball, Mortons!

Is Addie old enough to be courting?

I'm not that familiar with this family. Is her name really Darth or is it a nickname?

I'm not that familiar with this family. Is her name really Darth or is it a nickname?

nickname. Her name's really Dorothy.

Is Addie old enough to be courting?

In fundieworld, she is; she's about 19.

I guess the Mortons' internet is still out?

Is this the baby, Enoch Timothy?

refinersfireforge.com/blog/?p=4978

Guess so! He looks cute, even if his name is Enoch...

(So I was wrong about the sex and the due date.)

Who is Aunt Bob,the one holding the baby in the wedding posts? she is stunning,like something out of a renaissance painting.

She's Bekah, Noah's younger sister. She is very pretty, and that's a particularly striking picture of her.

Why do these people do this to their children? Enoch? There were no other biblical names that don't mark the kid for life? OK, Googled it, knowing it had to have some meaning because it just isn't a name that is 'so cute I had to choose it'. Since I'm not doing research for anything relevent and went with the first hit, Wiki, the name is Hebrew for: initiated, dedicated, disciplined. Um, OK. But, further reading on the article says Enoch is an ancestor of Noah (and Adam and a few other references/bible places/roles/whatever). The reasoning seems a bit more, well, reasoned at that. But then, aren't we all supposedly ancestors of Noah since Noah and his family were the only ones to survive the flood? Whatever the ultimate reasoning, I have to admit I think it is an unfortunate name choice for the poor kid. Maybe he'll grow into it - we do all grow up, after all. But it just doesn't fit a little baby, or a little boy.

I'd guess they picked the name for the meaning, given the meaning that it has. (Enoch being the ancestor of Noah means he came before. The rest of us are descendants :) )

And though it sounds odd when American fundamentalists do that, in English, it's quite common in other parts of the world. I hitch a little at a white American girl named Jubilee, but I wouldn't think twice if she were from an African nation, because I'm used to Africans naming either for meaning or just with a meaningful English word that they love. And I shouldn't do that because my kids all have odd foreign names themselves, picked specifically for meaning, lol. But I still do because cultural norms are hard to overcome.

On a complete side note, I get much entertainment from reading about the names of Nancy Campbell's (Above Rubies) kids and grandkids and imagining the thought process behind those names.

Isn't Enoch the one who was so good that he didn't die but was taken up to heaven? That would probably put him in a list of good biblical names if I am thinking of the right person.

I've obviously been following A Baker's Dozen for too long. When I started reading it I thought most of the kids' names were very odd. Now I saw the replies to this post and thought that Enoch was quite an ordinary name because of how often I see it.

Why do these people do this to their children? Enoch? There were no other biblical names that don't mark the kid for life? OK, Googled it, knowing it had to have some meaning because it just isn't a name that is 'so cute I had to choose it'. Since I'm not doing research for anything relevent and went with the first hit, Wiki, the name is Hebrew for: initiated, dedicated, disciplined. Um, OK. But, further reading on the article says Enoch is an ancestor of Noah (and Adam and a few other references/bible places/roles/whatever). The reasoning seems a bit more, well, reasoned at that. But then, aren't we all supposedly ancestors of Noah since Noah and his family were the only ones to survive the flood? Whatever the ultimate reasoning, I have to admit I think it is an unfortunate name choice for the poor kid. Maybe he'll grow into it - we do all grow up, after all. But it just doesn't fit a little baby, or a little boy.

Well, at least his middle name is Timothy. If he really hates it, he can always go by Tim. Or, even more awesomely...ET :mrgreen:

Well, congrats to Darth...may she not take any parenting advice from LoraLynn :?

A little OT, but this is the most unfortunate naming story I know: I used to know a family who had a little girl whom they named Bertha. They were fairly recent immigrants, and in their native language, the name was pronounced Bear-ta, and sounded sort of nice. But in English? That poor kid. She must be around 16 now, IIRC, and if she doesn't already go by something else, she probably will when she goes to college. Or she has learned to live with it, which is more than I could do!

A little OT, but this is the most unfortunate naming story I know: I used to know a family who had a little girl whom they named Bertha. They were fairly recent immigrants, and in their native language, the name was pronounced Bear-ta, and sounded sort of nice. But in English? That poor kid. She must be around 16 now, IIRC, and if she doesn't already go by something else, she probably will when she goes to college. Or she has learned to live with it, which is more than I could do!

Way back when I had my first 'real' job I became good friends with a co-worker named Janet. Janet had an older sister named Angela.

Turns out, they both changed their names at 18 because Janet was given the name Bertha and Angela was named Beulah. These weren't 'older' women with immigrant parents. They're both roughly my age and were born in the late 60's.

And, thanks for the clarification on ancestors/descendants, maybeizfundie. My only excuse, since I really do know the difference, is that typing responses that take thought is not a wise thing for me to do when I first get up and haven't consumed the required amount of coffee to make the brain work.

I'll bite-why is she every ones pet fundie?

I have no idea. I don't have any pet fundies and do not understand the fandom thing, but to each their own.

And while "Enoch" may be just fine in other parts of the world, this is the USA and it's just a strange thing to name a child here.

Does anyone watch Boardwalk Empire on HBO? The main character is named Nucky Thompson. In one of the first episodes he helps a woman out and she says, "Thank you so much. I'll name my child after you," and he replies, "You'd name your baby Enoch? Don't be cruel."

I'm hoping it's not pronounced in a way that sounds like eunuch. I once gave a talk on UNIX (an operating system), and because it's pronounced like eunuch, some non technical people in the front row were squirming in their seats until they realized what I was talking about.

Archived