IGNORED

Female GOP congresswoman “bring it down to woman’s level.�

doggie

My kids did pie charts in kindergarten- graphing the colors of apples they picked, how kids got to school each day, etc. I guess their godless, heathen, liberal progressive school had time to do that with them because they didn't require them to memorize bible verses daily or learn to rebut evolution (it's hard to learn to say- "were you there?")

I saw this story on Rachel Maddow's show Tuesday night. This woman will find employment with Fox "News" eventually.

I saw this story on Rachel Maddow's show Tuesday night. This woman will find employment with Fox "News" eventually.

she is over qualified.

I am suprised she did not say she should be in the kitchen or making babies.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/07/15 ... han-women/

North Carolina Republican congresswoman, Renee Ellmers, thinks that men need to bring their conversation down to a level that women can comprehend.

Ellmers, who appears to have difficulty understanding complex things, like pie charts and graphs for instance, seems to think that the problem is shared by all members of the female population.

In a speech explaining to republicans how they can best relate to women, Ellmers provided the following bit of advise.

“Men do tend to talk about things on a much higher level, Many of my male colleagues, when they go to the House floor, you know, they’ve got some pie chart or graph behind them and they’re talking about trillions of dollars and how, you know, the debt is awful and, you know…â€

Just a reminder, these comments come from a woman who was actually elected to represent the state of North Carolina in Congress.

Ellmers went on to explain that women are just not interested in those kinds of things. What does interest women? According to her, broadly, women want more time. Specifically, they want more time to “get readyâ€.

To wrap up all of that super great advise, she suggested that the men really need to “bring it down to woman’s level.â€

Ellmers gave this speech at an RNC women’s conference on Friday, July 11, 2014. The focus of the conference was on how to talk to women about republican policies. Only one journalist, Ashe Schow of the Washington Examiner, was present at the event.

After the Rachel Maddow blog picked up the story, Ellmers released a statement in response. Basically she blames the mean and horrible liberal media for reporting her remarks, but doesn’t deny saying them.

Ellmers has been in the headlines before. As a member of the ‘Pro-Life Caucus’ and the ‘Pro-Life Women’s Caucus’ Ellmers embarrassing crusade against maternity healthcare coverage in the ACA was just one of many moments in which GOP hypocrisy was on full display.

During the GOP government shut down, Ellmers made headlines for saying “I need my paycheck,†while apparently remaining totally oblivious to the fact that her decision to support a shut down of the federal government left more than a million other people, who also needed a paycheck, without one.

Except that the Washington Examiner is a conservative paper, and the journalist was formerly with the Heritage Foundation, also conservative.

And her Democrat opponent is ... Clay Aiken. I wish I lived in NC so I could see what kind of commercials she's going to run against Mr. American Idol.

Ellmers accused the (conservative) writer of the piece of being a liberal and taking her words out of context. So the writer posted a video and complete transcript of what Ellmers said.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/article/2550883

SPOILER ALERT: It doesn't make her sound better. And I am not the slightest bit surprised that Sarah Palin gave her support, since they sound basically the same.

The writer also published a follow-up after Ellmers tweeted the transcript to her followers :?

http://m.washingtonexaminer.com/rep.-re ... le/2550935

On Friday, I covered a panel discussion among conservative women on how the GOP can better explain why its policies help Americans and how to ward off "war on women" attacks from Democrats. I quoted Rep. Renee Ellmers, R-N.C., as saying men needed to bring their arguments “down to a woman's level."

In her response, Ellmers called me a “liberal woman reporter†and accused me of “attacking†the panel she was speaking on and “taking it to a dark place that does not exist.†She said I took her remarks "completely out of context."

So I posted Ellmers' full remarks with audio. Ellmers then, um, tweeted the link to that article, essentially using my article to defend herself from ... my article.

Even a rudimentary online search of my name reveals I could not in any known universe be considered a “liberal†reporter.

And that’s my point. Without doing any research, Ellmers and her staff assumed that my criticism meant I was liberal.

If that's how they treat someone on their side, imagine what they would do to someone on the fence.

The Republican women in Congress are the ones who can do the most to combat the Left’s narrative, yet they’re not doing so to any recognizable extent. All they say is, "We need to tell more stories."

Now imagine an undecided voter voicing her opinion and being attacked by Ellmers. Do you think she would ever vote Republican?

In a panel about messaging, counting people out as lost causes before learning anything about them seems like the wrong approach.

FWIW, I used to live in Renee Ellmers' district until I dropped NC like a hot potato. The congressional districts in NC are...creatively drawn. I would ask Ms. Ellmers if she knows what gerrymandering is, but I have a feeling that's way too complicated a concept.

You would have to use visual aids to show an example of a gerrymandered district and thats just not her strong suit.

Is she really that stupid or does she think this type of PR will endear her to folks?

Growing Up in the South=Stupid????

Bless Your Heart*, Othello.

Glad to know what kind of person you are. Stereotypes are so much easier than nuanced thoughts, aren't they?

*And if you don't know what means when a Southerner says it, ask around. But please be sure to use monosyllables so you won't hurt our tiny brains.

I don't think Othello meant to insinuate that southerners were stupid. There seems to be a mentality in parts of the country (mainly the south) that learning and knowledge aren't good things. Many very conservative or religious people seem to distrust educated people, probably because if they learned something, they might have to change their worldview.

In the south, there is also the "southern belle" stereotype, the pretty but not terribly bright little woman waiting on her man. On the male side, you've got your "good ol' boys" who drive trucks and love Murika, and act superior to the educated "liberals" (aka anyone who is smarter than they are and disagrees with them). Growing up in that environment, I could see how some women who aren't dumb might consider brains a bad thing.

I knew a lot of people like that growing up. It was definitely common among women, that if you were smarter than a man, you didn't flaunt it, because "men didn't like a woman who was too smart for her own good". I hope that this is the subculture to which Othello was referring, not being an asshole and stereotyping all southerners.

Granted, some pie charts are harder to understand than others. But that's not the fault of the chart:

fox-news-pie-chart-fail-7950-1259031795-11.jpg;wa1e4382cf799d4175

Growing Up in the South=Stupid????

Bless Your Heart*, Othello.

LOLwut? Err, you certainly read a lot into that. I never said that everyone who grows up in the South, NOR everyone who grows up in the Bible Belt (they overlap a good bit, that's why I wrote it that way) is automatically stupid. I was commenting DIRECTLY on the "business/politics are for the men" trope, which is (and I think it's common knowledge that this is true) more commonly perpetuated in the South/Bible Belt than in the North/West, and she, being from the Carolinas, has a very high likelihood of having this idea drilled into her brain from a young age, more so than if she grew up in, say, NY or CA.

Glad to know what kind of person you are. Stereotypes are so much easier than nuanced thoughts, aren't they?

*And if you don't know what means when a Southerner says it, ask around. But please be sure to use monosyllables so you won't hurt our tiny brains.

I think your response to my post says more about you than it does about me. I'll chalk it up to a bad day or something, no hard feelings. Bless your heart, and I mean that most sincerely.

I hope that this is the subculture to which Othello was referring, not being an asshole and stereotyping all southerners.

Thanks, Full enough, for not ignoring the context completely and reading a lot into a simple statement.

Basically this. Never said that all southerners are somehow intrinsically stupid, but rather that there's a harmful ethic that is commonly taught to people growing up in the Bible Belt, and thus if someone grew up there they have a high likelihood of having had that concept taught to them.

Thanks, Full enough, for not ignoring the context completely and reading a lot into a simple statement.

Basically this. Never said that all southerners are somehow intrinsically stupid, but rather that there's a harmful ethic that is commonly taught to people growing up in the Bible Belt, and thus if someone grew up there they have a high likelihood of having had that concept taught to them.

No, those of us who found your statement offensive and ignorant do understand the context, and your explanation sums up what we both objected to (look back a page and see I made a comment similar to the other poster) quite nicely.You are speaking in stereotypes, with no proof, critical thought or evidence. You are lumping together a whole bunch of people under a banner based on what you think is "taught" without knowing anything. I am not only Southern going back to early North Carolina settlements at the turn of the 18th century, but I have a pesky little graduate degree focused on Southern history. I know to what I speak both anecdotally and through education. You don't know what you are talking about.

, but rather that there's a harmful ethic that is commonly taught to people growing up in the Bible Belt, and thus if someone grew up there they have a high likelihood of having had that concept taught to them

This is exactly why your statement was called out as ignorant and lacking nuance. It is one of those silly high school true or false testing statements that actually don't mean what you think they mean. And Full Enough Quiver was defending you from the perspective that you perhaps meant to refer to a SUBCULTURE, not as something pervasive,yet you go right back and repeat your statement. You obviously don't get it, which is what I figured in my original post.

Thanks for proving the point.

...You don't know what you are talking about ... Full Enough Quiver was defending you from the perspective that you perhaps meant to refer to a SUBCULTURE, not as something pervasive,yet you go right back and repeat your statement. You obviously don't get it, which is what I figured in my original post.

Thanks for proving the point.

Well, no use arguing if all you're going to do is get upset and then essentially say what I intended to say in the first place. *Of course* it's a subculture and not the entire culture at large, and I don't think I ever said otherwise. It's a strong subculture, but a subculture nonetheless. This woman was elected by the people of North Carolina to speak for them, and is acting as a Representative in Congress; therefore, she represents the portion of the population of which I am speaking. OF COURSE she doesn't represent the portion of the population who didn't vote for her, but it shows that enough people voted for her to get her to D.C., that's all I'm saying.

I apologize for mischaracterizing all of you who are from the South and *don't* belong to or promote the subculture in question. My personal memories of living in the south, and even traveling in the south, have been less than enjoyable (i.e. drowning in fundie-dom) and, as personal experiences tend to do, that certainly has colored my judgement.

I'm out, no point in continually trying to restate the same concept in a way to please everyone.

Wow! I can't believe this. You have to wonder if she is really that stupid, or if she has just had that hammered into her head growing up in the South/Bible Belt.

WTF? I don't know if you are that stupid, Othello, or if Southern stereotypes were hammered into your head growing up as Yankee or non-American.

[bBvideo 560,340:p5x6gf5x]

[/bBvideo]

come on y'all we've already fought this fight. :D

A ragged rebel flag flies high above it all

Poppin' in the wind like an angry cannon ball

The coals of history are cold and still

But they smell the powder burnin' and they probably always will

Thanks to the internet we'll never forget how bad fashion was in the 90's :lol: I'd never seen that video til just now but it was one of my dad's favorite songs before we were fundie, for the faith reasons, not the rebel flag reasons. This discussion just reminded me of that bolded line. That video is disturbing on several levels though.

Archived