IGNORED

Youth pastor writes about his sinful "affair"

Firiel

I guess they take that more seriously than connecting sexually with them in person...in other words, molesting them?

That policy is part of the safeguards that have been put into place in most American dioceses in response to the sexual abuse scandals. It also includes training of all employees and volunteers that have contact with teens and children. The training includes information on setting boundaries, how to spot groomers, and how to report child abuse or suspected abuse including making it extremely clear that all adults are legally bound to report any suspected abuse to the proper legal authorities and that there are no hierarchies to go through in regard to reporting. Adults working in schools or with teens and children in a parish setting are never to be in a one on one situation with a student and outside of classroom teaching in schools, when at all possible, at least two adults are to be assigned to supervise every activity involving children and teens.

In addition, all volunteers, teachers, staff and priests have a complete background check every five years minimum in my diocese. The time on that can vary.

And because they deserve to be called out for it, the diocese of Lincoln, Nebraska has refused to participate in any of these safeguards, which were mandated by the USCCB, including even the common sense step of conducting criminal background checks.

The American Catholic Church has responded to the scandal. It is not well known because people seem to feel better if they can pretend it has not.

That policy is part of the safeguards that have been put into place in most American dioceses in response to the sexual abuse scandals. It also includes training of all employees and volunteers that have contact with teens and children. The training includes information on setting boundaries, how to spot groomers, and how to report child abuse or suspected abuse including making it extremely clear that all adults are legally bound to report any suspected abuse to the proper legal authorities and that there are no hierarchies to go through in regard to reporting. Adults working in schools or with teens and children in a parish setting are never to be in a one on one situation with a student and outside of classroom teaching in schools, when at all possible, at least two adults are to be assigned to supervise every activity involving children and teens.

In addition, all volunteers, teachers, staff and priests have a complete background check every five years minimum in my diocese. The time on that can vary.

And because they deserve to be called out for it, the diocese of Lincoln, Nebraska has refused to participate in any of these safeguards, which were mandated by the USCCB, including even the common sense step of conducting criminal background checks.

The American Catholic Church has responded to the scandal. It is not well known because people seem to feel better if they can pretend it has not

......probably has something to do with the massive denial, cover up and spin by the Catholic hierarchy that took place for so many years.

I will say, kudos to Christianity Today.

It never should have been published. The initial disclaimer was lacking. Deleting comments was stupid. It was a giant gaffe.

But the current apology is clear and their willingness to own their mistake is reasonably impressive.

Hope they've learned an important lesson.

......probably has something to do with the massive denial, cover up and spin by the Catholic hierarchy that took place for so many years.

Does the Roman Catholic hierarchy still have a lot to answer for? Yes they most certainly do, and many will still refuse to call paedophiles to account because of that old chestnut "how it harms everyone who is innocent" . However I can attest to the fact that safeguards have been put in place in the UK as well (I'm Anglican but work with a few Catholic groups) which are steps in the right direction, and that is partly in response to the utter fury of local congregations who are certainly not prepared to sweep things under the rug.

Archived