IGNORED

Salt Lake City Police Officer Refuses Gay Pride Parade Assig

doggie

I applaud the department for not putting up with this crap.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/0 ... 68399.html

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — A Salt Lake City police officer has been placed on leave after refusing an assignment to work at a gay pride parade.

The officer was among about 30 officers assigned to provide traffic control and security for the annual Utah Pride Parade on Sunday in Salt Lake City, said department spokeswoman Lara Jones.

"We don't tolerate bias and bigotry in the department, and assignments are assignments ... To allow personal opinion to enter into whether an officer will take a post is not something that can be tolerated in a police department," Jones told KSL.

She declined comment on the officer's reason for refusing the assignment.

The officer, whose name was not released, is on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of an internal affairs investigation.

Utah Pride Center spokeswoman Deann Armes said her group is pleased with the department's stance and thinks officers should undergo sensitivity training before joining the force.

"Our goal is to make sure that police training and certification includes policies and oaths to ensure that all officers are committed to providing equal service and treatment of all citizens. Clearly, bigotry is alive and well," Armes said in a statement.

Police Chief Chris Burbank has marched in the parade in the past, and three deputy chiefs will march Sunday while he is out of town.

I think the department was right to not just go along with the request, although paid leave doesn't sound like much of a punishment, kind of like suspending kids for cutting school.

I do think it's pretty hilarious that a cop thinks they should only get assignments where they agree with the citizens behavior!

I know it's a protection thing for the parade, not catching criminals, but wouldn't Most of a cops work entail being around behavior you don't approve of :?

Yanno, I'd kind of rather be just be excused for this rather than potentially being forced to go, because at that point he'd probably stand aside to let the "dirty heathen sinners" get hurt if anyone tried anything.

I don't believe either see acceptable behavior, but there you to.

Archived