IGNORED

Family time at the Maxwells on Memorial Day

SPHASH

As a cautionary tale about taking kids to wakes...

When I was 6, the (just turned) 2-year old son of one of my dad's co-workers was backed over in the driveway by a car driven by his daughter's boyfriend and instantly killed. Toddler was laid out at the funeral home wearing his Mickey Mouse t-shirt, open casket. We all went. The next day was the funeral and somehow I was spared. I had prayed all. night. long. that Jesus would bring that poor baby back to life. When Mom walked in after the funeral, I happily ran to her. "Well, is he alive again?", fully trusting in the power of prayer.

Really, not a good thing on so many levels, and 48 years later, here I am still thinking about it. Maybe if it had been an older adult, it might not have been so traumatic. But that...just was.

A parent has to use common sense too. You have to start out with an elderly uncle or someone in that age group. My first wake was for an aunt. Another aunt was panicky that I was there. It didn't bother me at all. I remember her saying "She's not dead. She's just sleeping." I also remember my mother telling her that she took me to the wake to understand death, and that she didn't want anyone telling me that.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its about death.

For a minute, you got my hopes up that this article would be different from all the rest. Shame on you!

For a minute, you got my hopes up that this article would be different from all the rest. Shame on you!

Sorry to disappoint you. Lol

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it was a long gap since the last Maxwell post. Maybe theres going to be a big post addressing the death? The pictures on facebook were lovely GiGi is a doll realyy beautiful lady I hope she escapes with Tami

I find John defrauds me just by having his picture taken And Im Old and married>> :lol:

Archived