IGNORED

Family sues teachers over cult allegations

doggie

What even? What are the charges? How will they stand up legally? How to prove causation?

On topic: this lawsuit is so ridiculous that the press should not even be reporting it, but I expect my right wing anti-public school friends and acquaintances to jump on it as an example of all that is wrong any minute now.

I'm not a fan of public schools for a myriad of reasons that aren't worth getting into. I homeschool my children and I do encourage my friends who are the fence about it to do the same. But when people take things like this stupid ass law suit to say "this is why public school is evil and bad" it really pisses me off. After every school shooting, I hear "and that's why you homeschool" from people. No. It's not. And if you weren't a fucking moron you would fucking know that by now. I can definitely see Lori and Zsu making a post about this. I don't follow their blogs outside of what gets put on here but I believe it was Zsu who made the post about a typical day at her home school vs a typical day in an Ohio school when that school shooting happen a few years ago. Isn't she also the one who says making your children share is communism? Anyhow, the people you are talking about - the ones who will jump on this bullshit lawsuit - are just as bad for homeschoolers as the duggars. They make us all look like crazy lunatics who have no idea what is going on in the world. And it's really fucking annoying.

That being said, I still content this lawsuit is bullshit. These girls simply separated from their parents and found solace in each other, probably because they understand each other the best. I have no doubt their former teachers helped them get permission to stay at school over the summer. I became very close with one of my highschool teachers and he helped me get through a lot while I was in still in highschool. When I got to college and met a professor who reminded me of him, I wrote to him and told him all about it. I kept in contact with him for years. Just a few weeks ago I saw another one of my old highschool teachers and talked with him for a bit. It's not unusual for students to maintain contact after graduation, especially if they had problems at home and that one teacher (or two or three or whatever) was there to help. These parents are just pissed off that someone helped their daughters gain control of their own lives.

As others have mentioned, the parents talk about their daughters "speaking a strange new language". Yeah - they were taking Spanish class. I would expect them to be speaking a new language. It may sound strange to someone who doesn't know it. And if this was some strange new cult, why aren't others saying anything? These teachers just happened to target this one family? That's it? And the parents only decided something was wrong after the third daughter "broke free"?? Give me a break. Even if everything the parents say is true - and I would bet dollars to donuts it's not - why sue the high school and the college? They have nothing to do with this at all.

My biggest problem with this lawsuit is the fact that the teachers are named and the parents are not. That's complete and utter bullshit. If you're going to file a lawsuit and name names, then you do not get to be cloaked in anonymity.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

I'll go along with that.

Archived