IGNORED

Mother's Day gift for plyg fan

logansdad

Hi guys. My wife loves Sister Wives, Big Love, 19 Kids and Counting, etc.

I am not a mormon or a plyg.

We have one child.

What should I get her for Mother's Day?

A second wife?

:clap:

I thought posters who joined after whatever date it was (2011??) and had less than 75 posts couldn't start new threads? Or did that rule stop after Alectogate?

:clap:

I thought posters who joined after whatever date it was (2011??) and had less than 75 posts couldn't start new threads? Or did that rule stop after Alectogate?

No, that was the subject of a recent poll (like in the past 1-2 months).

No, that was the subject of a recent poll (like in the past 1-2 months).

Sorry to be thick but what is the rule about it? I keep clicking the link for the FJ rules and regs and it keeps telling me that I'm not authorised to view them!

Is your wife an avid reader? There are a whole mess of polygamy cult survivor accounts out there, and I've read most of them. Maybe your wife would enjoy Escape, by Carolyn Jessop, or The Witness Wore Red, by Rebecca Musser.

I can also reccomend Shattered Dreams, by Irene Spencer, as well.

There's always the jewelry company that the Brown sister wives started, if that sort of jewelry is to her taste:

http://mysisterwifescloset.com/

(Link not broken because it's a company website)

Is your wife an avid reader? There are a whole mess of polygamy cult survivor accounts out there, and I've read most of them. Maybe your wife would enjoy Escape, by Carolyn Jessop, or The Witness Wore Red, by Rebecca Musser.

The 19th Wife, while fiction, was also enjoyable.

We have one child.

Spend time getting to know her so you don't need to ask a bunch of random strangers who know nothing about her what you should get for her?

I am reading Prophets Prey now and it is outstanding. (amazon.com/Prophets-Prey-Seven-Year-Investigation-Fundamentalist/dp/B007HW2JUI)

Spend time getting to know her so you don't need to ask a bunch of random strangers who know nothing about her what you should get for her?

Ha ha! At least he knows she's interested in polygamist culture.

I frequent a relationship/life advice forum, and we get the following conversation a lot:

"I've been with my partner for two years. His/her birthday is coming up. What should I get him/her?"

"Well, what are his/her interests? What does s/he like to do? What does s/he want?"

"...I don't know. What should I get him/her?"

:doh:

This is a ridiculous response. He DOES know her, and he knows she would get a kick out of something polygamy or quiverfull related for Mother's Day, but doesn't know where to start getting something like that. She is probably a member here, that's how he knows about FJ. Honestly, I would be stoked if my husband was the one who posted this. Let's face it, its kind of an obscure interest, its not like cooking or gardening or something, and he certainly came to the right place when looking for info.

MrsFoxx, I read The 19th Wife - awesome book, I only wish the account had been real. :D

And mrs, I also read Prophet's Prey. Sam Brower's investigation in the FLDS was riveting, and if I remember correctly, he also provided closure to a number of cases regarding FLDS escapees. :)

One really bizarre polygamy book I can reccomend is Rena Chenowyth's book The Blood Covenant. She was the 13th wife of Ervil LeBaron, and the one ordered to kill rival polygamist leader Rulon Allred. She talks about life in the LeBaron cult, but the book is amazing for it's lack of clarity. Rena is a 30-year-old woman when she writes the book, but behaves like a 15-year-old schoolgirl. She shows no remorse for killing Allred, and spends a lot of time talking about the various boys and men who fancied her, and how everyone should feel sorry for her because nothing is ever her fault.

That one's a bit harder to find, it's out of print, but it does occasionally turn up on Amazon and ebay.

We have one child.

Odd. You created a new account on a snark board to ask us what to get your wife for Mother's Day.

I just now remembered that we have a poster here named logansmom. If this is Mr. logansmom, wouldn't she see this post?

This is a ridiculous response. He DOES know her, and he knows she would get a kick out of something polygamy or quiverfull related for Mother's Day, but doesn't know where to start getting something like that. She is probably a member here, that's how he knows about FJ. Honestly, I would be stoked if my husband was the one who posted this. Let's face it, its kind of an obscure interest, its not like cooking or gardening or something, and he certainly came to the right place when looking for info.

Exactly. This gentleman knows his WIFE perfectly well, from the sounds of it. What he doesn't know is the plyg stuff, or what sort of merchandise there is relating to it. Would we belittle a man who asked the same question, only about knitting or scrapbook stuff, on a knitting or scrapbooking forum?

I read Carolyn Jessop's book, though I now thing a bit less of her after her playacting in the very fake "Breaking the Faith" show. Warren Jeffs has a nephew who wrote a book -- it goes into detail re Jeffs molesting him, though, so if she doesn't want to read that, it wouldn't be a good call. Stolen Innocence by Elisa Wall is a good read, too.

Secrets and Wives is a good read -- it's by a journalist, though, so it isn't really a first person account of what it's like to live polygamy so much as an outsider looking in. It's interesting, though, because he's looking in on several polygamist groups, rather than the one group that primary source material will focus on out of necessity.

The Browns (that's the family on Sister Wives) have a book out, called Becoming Sister Wives. It's pro polygamy, obviously.

Thank you all for the great responses!

She is an AVID reader, and I believe most of the books listed she has read (AVID AVID). I will need to sneak into her Kindle to see, as most of them are digital copies (although a few she has physical copies of).

I went through amazon and looked for polygamy stuff, and most were books, but did find a few "prints on wood" of Joseph Smith and his wives and stuff that might be fun.

Wish I hadn't waited until the last minute, but she knew who she was marrying ;)

Thank you all for the great responses!

She is an AVID reader, and I believe most of the books listed she has read (AVID AVID). I will need to sneak into her Kindle to see, as most of them are digital copies (although a few she has physical copies of).

I went through amazon and looked for polygamy stuff, and most were books, but did find a few "prints on wood" of Joseph Smith and his wives and stuff that might be fun.

Wish I hadn't waited until the last minute, but she knew who she was marrying ;)

Good luck with your search! ;)

I will go ahead and put in one more plug for the Rena Chynoweth book as a Christmas or birthday gift - I'm fairly certain it's not an e-book, so getting a copy from ebay or Amazon can be a plan-ahead gift, if you wanted. :)

I had to come and respond to this thread. It was indeed my hubby who posted this! He told me about it at dinner last night. He said he fully expected me to see it and call him out on it, but I rarely go on SOTDRT so he snuck it by me! He obviously knows what I'm into (QF, FLDS etc), but as yetanothermeg mentioned, it's not really something like gardening that is a "common" hobby. I have to say you guys offered awesome book suggestions, but as he said, I've read them all! EXCEPT for Rena Chenowyth's book! I've been looking for it for awhile now!

Archived