IGNORED

Persecuted Christian gets rejected from community college

SpeakNow

I was listening to my favorite conservative Christian radio host (Janet Parshall...she's a ton of fundie fun) on my way home from work. She was discussing the case of a Christian young man who was rejected from his community college's radiation therapy program. On the show, Parshall claimed that the young man had excellent grades and test scores, but he was rejected simply because he stated that G-d was the most important thing in his life.

Naturally, secular news paints a more nuanced picture.

"The program director, in an email included in the lawsuit's exhibits, wrote that other applicants had higher grade-point averages and that there were "other reasons" why he did not make it in."

"In the letter, CCBC's lawyer also pointed out that Jenkins has a criminal record that includes drug and theft charges. The lawyer said CCBC officials told Jenkins that he would have difficulty finding a job in Maryland because of his background. He had said during his interview that he wanted to stay in Maryland."

"A response from CCBC's attorney Peter S. Saucier, also included in the exhibits, said the school seeks applicants "motivated by an individual passion in the field" and that Jenkins' statement that he was pursuing the program at the behest of God or others "was not a good answer.""

My dad is a professor of education at a college. In his state, a person cannot get a teaching certificate if they have a felony drug charge. They do background checks on students, I think before student teaching. If a felony drug charge comes up, my dad has to be the one to tell the student that he needs to pick another major because he has almost no chance of getting a teaching job in that state. Inevitably, the student gives excuses ("It wasn't mine!"), but if it is on your record, then it is on your record. Still, nobody has ever pulled the "persecuted Christian" card on him . . .

Community college programs like being able to tout their graduates' success at finding good jobs in their field upon graduation. A good program will have recruiters ready and waiting for the next crop of grads.

A criminal record will effectively prevent him from getting hired in the medical field anywhere, not just in Maryland. To admit him would be a tremendous waste of an opportunity that could have gone to someone with a clean record. It would have been a waste of his time, money, and effort to pursue a career he couldn't get hired in. And yeah, not being able to successfully place him in a job post-graduation would be a blot on the program's record.

I'd lay money on there being at least one other fundy, or at least an evangelical conservative, already in the program--they just kept their nose clean enough to pass a background check.

This kid can't even sit for the registry exam with a criminal record! Hell, you can't sit for the registry with a bounced check on your record, you have to get it removed. No way in hell are they going to allow someone with a drug conviction! My husband had to have his record expunged for a bounced check to sit for the RT©. Both of us have sat for the RT®. (I also sat for the NCLEX, I prefer nursing).

No program is going to allow a person in who isn't going to be eligible for the registry. To many people want to get into that field.

ETA: A lot of schools maintain their accreditation through pass rate and professional exam scores.(In the case of Radiation Therapy, the pass rate of the ARRT Registry exam) And in recent years, it has gotten harder and harder to get jobs in the medical field because of how many graduates there are. (In SC alone, for a rad tech job, one job posting might net 500 applications, and a nursing position anywhere from 1000 to 2000) Schools can be much more selective.

I just wanted to say that I too LOVE janet parshall. I listen to her every day on my way to the gym. I give her the finger at least twice a week.

If you have a felony in Wisconsin especially involving drugs and theft, you cannot sit for the NVTE, National Veterinary Technician Exam. At the college I teach at, admissions tells the students upfront about this before they even finish their application.

I believe Rhode Island, just enacted a law stating that people with a history of child and animal abuse are barred from working in veterinary clinics as well as grooming and boarding facilities. Rhode Island as change the designation of pet owner to pet guardian.

So I don't think this Christian is being religiously persecuted. I think this college is looking out for themselves as well as the potential student.

If you have a felony in Wisconsin especially involving drugs and theft, you cannot sit for the NVTE, National Veterinary Technician Exam. At the college I teach at, admissions tells the students upfront about this before they even finish their application.

I believe Rhode Island, just enacted a law stating that people with a history of child and animal abuse are barred from working in veterinary clinics as well as grooming and boarding facilities. Rhode Island as change the designation of pet owner to pet guardian.

So I don't think this Christian is being religiously persecuted. I think this college is looking out for themselves as well as the potential student.

The ARRT is a national exam so no matter what state you are in, you can't sit for it with a conviction on your record. (And they include bounced checks!). He doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell unless and until he gets his record expunged.

Off topic, but I think it's ridiculous drug offenders can't see to get jobs ANYWHERE. If they could get a good job, it would slash the re offender rate at least In quarters, maybe half.

Off topic, but I think it's ridiculous drug offenders can't see to get jobs ANYWHERE. If they could get a good job, it would slash the re offender rate at least In quarters, maybe half.

I agree, but I'm not sure the medical field is the one they should open up. Lots of drugs there.

While I agree that it's hard on drug offenders, I have to say that at least at vet clinics, they have controlled substances pretty easily obtainable by staff. A person with a substance abuse issue could easily feed their addiction and it might go unnoticed for a while.

BTW, I have stood up for people who have had drug issues in the past, ie years sober, and gotten permission from the state board for them to obtain a license. They are held under a higher scrutiny but if they can prove they have made substantial changes usually the board is willing to consider.

I wish it was easier for felons to get jobs. I think that it one of the biggest reasons for recidivism in America.

I wish it was easier for felons to get jobs. I think that it one of the biggest reasons for recidivism in America.

In Sweden, they are actually closing prisons because they don't have felons coming back. They treat them like people in prison, instead of cattle. They actually work to change what got them in prison in the first place.

I completely agree that the prison reform in the US sucks donkey balls. That said, as it stands right now, medical professionals cannot be licensed with a record, and they are VERY strict about that stuff.

How on earth does this idgit think he's being prosecuted because of his religion. I don't know any healthcare school that cares a whit whether you are religious or not. They do care if you cannot sit for the exam, which as someone else pointed out, often impacts their accreditation rates.

Reminds me of that master's in counseling student in GA several years ago who was dismissed from her program because she refused to work with LGBT patients and sued claiming she was kicked out for her faith.

Oh I agree the medical field isn't the best place because of drugs, but even then, the stuff is counted. Of someone was taking it, it would get found out pretty quick, or so my nurse friends tell me.

I do think other jobs should be open to them.

And I still think he medical field could be one, with some restrictions. But that ones a bit further off.

I'm not sure a RT could get hold of any meds of significance. I've heard a surprising number of stories of nurses getting hold of narcotics that in my own naivety I assumed was not possible with things like PIXIS machines and shift counts. However, I cannot imagine that a RT could get into that type of stuff.

Evenso, criminal backgrounds limit the ability of any graduate to get licensed in basically any state, and given that it makes absolute sense that someone with a criminal background would be rejected as an applicant for such a program.

I knew Criminal Justice majors who were strongly encouraged by the dept staff at my University to change their majors because you cannot become quite a few careers with a criminal record whether you like that reality or not.

Christians can start talking about persecution when even one state has a law banning them from public office, the way several states to for atheists.

At lot of people end up back in prison because they have nowhere to go and can't get a job that pays. It's difficult for a normal person with no record to get a job these days. It's triply hard for offenders. Prison to many means free hot meals and a roof over their head. And often the requirements for probation are very difficult to meet, especially if the offender has nowhere to stay.

At lot of people end up back in prison because they have nowhere to go and can't get a job that pays. It's difficult for a normal person with no record to get a job these days. It's triply hard for offenders. Prison to many means free hot meals and a roof over their head. And often the requirements for probation are very difficult to meet, especially if the offender has nowhere to stay.

That's true, as many jobs don't even allow anyone with a criminal record to sit for necessary exams that might be required, and so many employers do background checks, that someone with a record who is trying to stay out of prison is at a severe disadvantage since if they're honest about a conviction, they don't get interviewed, and if the conviction comes up on a background check, they have the job offer rescinded.

As it is, it's often difficult for those of us who don't have criminal records to find jobs, but someone with a record is at a serious disadvantage after they've already served their time.

I agree, but I'm not sure the medical field is the one they should open up. Lots of drugs there.

Exactly. I don't care if someone flipping burgers or doing admin work has used drugs, but being in the medical field means that you have increased access to prescription drugs with a street value.

Christians can start talking about persecution when even one state has a law banning them from public office, the way several states to for atheists.

How is that legal? I'm honestly curious, as I thought that religious discrimination in hiring was illegal at the federal level, and Niall states?

Archived