IGNORED

Hobby Lobby President pushing bible Oklahoma School District

doggie

Of course it is all innocent and all and of course he is not paying for it but making tax payers foot the bill. I am so sick of all these oppressed Christians forcing everyone to follow their beliefs.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/04/17 ... disctrict/

If you value secular education in Oklahoma, you might want to remove your kids from Oklahoma’s Mustang School District in Fall 2014. Steve Green, President of Hobby Lobby, has created an elective curriculum called “Museum of the Bible Curriculum,†and it will be present in public schools. Green hopes that his curriculum will be present in “hundreds†of schools by 2016, and “thousands†by 2017, The Raw Story reports. The program is being overseen by Jerry Pattengale, head of the Green Scholars Initiative. Perhaps the most frightening part of the entire affair is that the Supreme Court did not find the program to be in violation of the establishment clause. The court’s findings in Abington School District v. Schempp said:

Nothing we have said here indicates that such study of the Bible, when presented objectively as part of a secular program of education, may not be effected consistently with the First Amendment.

The thing is, though, the things that Steve Green has to say regarding all of this suggest that his intent is anything but an objective teaching of the Bible as an optional elective class. He plans to push to mandate the teaching of the book in public schools, and he says as much.

Some day,†he said, teaching the Bible in high school “should be mandated. Here’s a book that’s impacted our world unlike any other and you’re not going to teach it?â€

Of course it is all innocent and all and of course he is not paying for it but making tax payers foot the bill. I am so sick of all these oppressed Christians forcing everyone to follow their beliefs.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/04/17 ... disctrict/

If you value secular education in Oklahoma, you might want to remove your kids from Oklahoma’s Mustang School District in Fall 2014. Steve Green, President of Hobby Lobby, has created an elective curriculum called “Museum of the Bible Curriculum,†and it will be present in public schools. Green hopes that his curriculum will be present in “hundreds†of schools by 2016, and “thousands†by 2017, The Raw Story reports. The program is being overseen by Jerry Pattengale, head of the Green Scholars Initiative. Perhaps the most frightening part of the entire affair is that the Supreme Court did not find the program to be in violation of the establishment clause. The court’s findings in Abington School District v. Schempp said:

Nothing we have said here indicates that such study of the Bible, when presented objectively as part of a secular program of education, may not be effected consistently with the First Amendment.

The thing is, though, the things that Steve Green has to say regarding all of this suggest that his intent is anything but an objective teaching of the Bible as an optional elective class. He plans to push to mandate the teaching of the book in public schools, and he says as much.

Some day,†he said, teaching the Bible in high school “should be mandated. Here’s a book that’s impacted our world unlike any other and you’re not going to teach it?â€

Amen! :worship: I wish there was "slow clap" smiley!

Except of course for the Koran, the Tripitaka, Bhagavad-Gita, Ramayana and Vedas...

Except of course for the Koran, the Tripitaka, Bhagavad-Gita, Ramayana and Vedas...

Well, he is right that the Bible has impacted our world but not necessarily the way he thinks it has. It could be argued that the impact on our world is a negative one.

What a pompous, narrow minded ass! My Jewish niece went to Mustang Schools. I'm sure she would have been super thrilled with this addition to the curriculum. :pull-hair:

The school district had better be careful, or they might be buying a lawsuit. And I doubt Mr. Hobby Lobby (and by the way, no contraception for you missy!) will indemnify them.

I wouldn't mind the idea of teaching a Bible class in public schools if student were taught it from a secular standpoint and learned about the documentary hypothesis, historical criticism, copyist errors, and the problems inherent in the translation process. However, whenever the idea of Bible classes come up, it's almost always a Trojan Horse to evangelize in public schools.

I wouldn't mind the idea of teaching a Bible class in public schools if student were taught it from a secular standpoint and learned about the documentary hypothesis, historical criticism, copyist errors, and the problems inherent in the translation process. However, whenever the idea of Bible classes come up, it's almost always a Trojan Horse to evangelize in public schools.

I agree. My biggest beef with the Hobby Lobby dude is that he wants the curriculum to be mandatory, and of course it's all about evangelizing.

I grew up in Tulsa and went to a great magnet high school. There was an elective called Bible as Literature. I never took it but now sort of wish I had.

By the time I have kids, these loonies are going to force me to homeschool them, and not for the reasons they do. Hell, I just want my future kids to get a thorough education in classic literature, higher math, science, and not be proselytized in the process. Guess that isn't possible anymore. :roll:

well I just could not predict this would happen I mean I can't imagine teaching the bible as a secular class for these idiots and I was right

http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268812/conten ... d=cqzvw46f

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) - A high school curriculum supported by Hobby Lobby chain president Steve Green, billed as a way to teach archaeology, history and the arts through Bible stories, also tells students God is always there in times of trouble and that sinners must "suffer the consequences" of disobeying.

The Mustang School Board in suburban Oklahoma City voted this month to place the Museum of the Bible's curriculum in its schools as an elective for a one-year trial after being assured that the intent is not to proselytize but to use the Bible to explain key principles in the arts and sciences.

While the course does explain the inspiration behind famous works of art and holds a prism to historical events, it also endorses behavior for religious reasons and implies that bad things happen as a direct result of disregarding God's rules.

The Associated Press obtained a draft copy of the curriculum from the American Civil Liberties Union of Oklahoma, which got it from the school district. The ACLU and the Freedom From Religion Foundation say using the curriculum raises constitutional issues and want the school district to reconsider.

The course is promoted by Green, the executive for the crafts store chain who is also a member of the Bible museum's board. Green, who has said he wants the program in thousands of schools by 2017, declined to speak to the Associated Press.

Yup, the proverbial (Evangelical) camel trying to get its nose under the (secular education) tent...

"Brady Henderson, the legal director of the ACLU of Oklahoma and a Sunday school teacher, said the Green family's goal is transparent and inappropriate.

"They've been outspoken on this and one of their concerns with modern American life is that many biblical teachings aren't taught enough," Henderson said. "The deeper we get into it, the more red flags we see."

The Hobby Lobby family is in cahoots with Bill Gothard's organization. The Green family bought the Big Sandy property from the Worldwide Church of God for old Bill back in the day.

Archived