IGNORED

Summary of Spring Days with the Moodys

Miggy

I browsed over to the Maxwell blog because I was curious how many books Sarah has actually written and I'm confused about the titles--there is one called Summer with the Moodys and one called Summer Days with the Moodys? Is that correct?? These are two different books? Why didn't they come up with a new title??

Because imagination is of the devil and is to be avoided at all costs.

Pretty freaking sad that she couldn't even come up with an original title, innit?

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see a couple of things that might be at play here.

1) If the mom was deeply depressed and had to rely on an uber scheduled life to keep her head above water (and rely on the kids to cook) this may have been what was required to get by-- tightly scheduled meal plans and food kids could cook when they were very young.

2) I continue to think that Steve is very worried about running out of money--whether he has good reason to or not. I have no idea if any of these people have paid in to Social Security, if they have IRAs, etc. He clearly has thought about Sara and company never leaving, as he talked about how they would/could be taken care of after he's gone--which he many never have considered 10 years ago while he was earning more money.

3) Eating the same thing over and over dampens the appetite, which can keep weight down--which we know he has been concerned about before. If they eat the same things over and over, it is easier to keep track of how many calories are in their favorite dishes.

I see a couple of things that might be at play here.

1) If the mom was deeply depressed and had to rely on an uber scheduled life to keep her head above water (and rely on the kids to cook) this may have been what was required to get by-- tightly scheduled meal plans and food kids could cook when they were very young.

2) I continue to think that Steve is very worried about running out of money--whether he has good reason to or not. I have no idea if any of these people have paid in to Social Security, if they have IRAs, etc. He clearly has thought about Sara and company never leaving, as he talked about how they would/could be taken care of after he's gone--which he many never have considered 10 years ago while he was earning more money.

3) Eating the same thing over and over dampens the appetite, which can keep weight down--which we know he has been concerned about before. If they eat the same things over and over, it is easier to keep track of how many calories are in their favorite dishes.

Steve worked in 'ebil corporate America until the mid 1990's, so I'm sure he and Teri are eligible for social security. The "boys", if they are self employed, are required to self-pay for social security, so they and their wives should also be eligible. The "girls", probably not. Unless Steve pays them a decent salary and not "pin money".

Even so, you can't rely on social security for retirement. Most people need at least 1/2 - 2/3 as much in private savings and or a pension plan.

Steve must have paid into SS while he was working as an engineer. Does a small family business like their Communication Concepts have to pay into ss?

Steve is considered CEO, but are the others employees? Partners? Not sure how that works?

ETA: Posted at same time as Justme. Thanks for the answers.

Steve must have paid into SS while he was working as an engineer. Does a small family business like their Communication Concepts have to pay into ss?

Steve is considered CEO, but are the others employees? Partners? Not sure how that works?

ETA: Posted at same time as Justme. Thanks for the answers.

If he has an income, he is supposed to be paying into social security. If he's self-employed, he has to pay both his and the employer's share of the tax (so basically twice the SS tax) and his and the employer's share of the Medicare tax.

Back to the beans (well, they do that): I cook mine in the pressure cooker. It takes 12 minutes for pintos, and means I can get away with soaking them in hot water for an hour.

I wonder if they ever have random leftovers. As in, there's one portion of sloppy joes, one portion of taco meat, no bread, but there are some leftover dinner rolls and some ham and a couple of eggs. So you could pull everything out and some people are eating one thing and others are eating something different. That used to happen at my house at least once a week to get rid of food before it goes bad. For some reason I get the impression that they couldn't possibly eat different things at the same time. Nor could Sarah eat some leftover mac & cheese at 10 a.m. (after sleeping in) while Mary makes herself a peanut butter & jelly sandwich.

I've decided that what the Maxwells live isn't Christianity--it's asceticism. Up at 5 for enforced Bible reading, repetitious chores, dull surroundings, bland food, no friends, no fun: it's all like being a cloistered nun or monk. Except that nuns and monks are allowed more intellectual stimulation.

I cannot speak for Catholic orders, but having visited several Orthodox monasteries (women's and men's) and having nuns as close friends and the godmother of one of my daughters, I must interject and say that Orthodox monastics have WAY more varied, interesting, stimulating, and I will even say FUN lives than the Maxwells. Truly. I know Orthodox monks who would tell Steve Maxwell "Lighten up!!" They tell stories, they joke, they LAUGH. A LOT.

And even though they eat a vegan diet most of the time, I guarantee you it's more varied and tastes a hell of a lot better than bean burrito mush. :disgust:

I cannot speak for Catholic orders, but having visited several Orthodox monasteries (women's and men's) and having nuns as close friends and the godmother of one of my daughters, I must interject and say that Orthodox monastics have WAY more varied, interesting, stimulating, and I will even say FUN lives than the Maxwells. Truly. I know Orthodox monks who would tell Steve Maxwell "Lighten up!!" They tell stories, they joke, they LAUGH. A LOT.

And even though they eat a vegan diet most of the time, I guarantee you it's more varied and tastes a hell of a lot better than bean burrito mush. :disgust:

I have an acquaintance who went into a Carmelite nunnery. Even _they_ have a more interesting and balanced existence than the Maxwells.

If he has an income, he is supposed to be paying into social security. If he's self-employed, he has to pay both his and the employer's share of the tax (so basically twice the SS tax) and his and the employer's share of the Medicare tax.

Well then hopefully they are paying into ss for Sarah with the income she makes with her books.

I've always been very curious to know how each "child" gets paid. Do they get a salary? A percentage of whatever Steve's companies earn?

Does anyone remember, it was probably several years ago, they mentioned on their site about all the kids being good savers, and how Sarah had a "nice nest egg".

I'm assuming (hoping) that means she gets at least some of the money her books bring in.

Well then hopefully they are paying into ss for Sarah with the income she makes with her books.

I've always been very curious to know how each "child" gets paid. Do they get a salary? A percentage of whatever Steve's companies earn?

Does anyone remember, it was probably several years ago, they mentioned on their site about all the kids being good savers, and how Sarah had a "nice nest egg".

I'm assuming (hoping) that means she gets at least some of the money her books bring in.

I'm guessing the "children" get an allowance.....

Wow, even their food is boring. It must be really boring to live like that, constant blandness and repetition with everything, like the years go by but nothing changes. I wonder if they ever wonder what life is like for us normal people, or ever desire to just throw away the schedule and try something new. Unfortunately they probably don't, I think at this point it is a security blanket for them, it makes them feel safe, as the real world is scary. I wonder what would happen if they didn't have Steve or his schedule-I bet even the smallest thing like a new food would make them panic.

Also studies have shown that the smaller the variation in menu, the less food is wasted because it doesn't have time to go bad. At our house we are at the extreme edge of wastefulness because there are so many different condiments and sauces and soft cheeses and spreads that there is always something that we forget about or it goes bad before we get around to it. One thing about making vast pots of beans and freezing them-- there must be very little thrown away.

Still I can't help but think that our diet with a wide variety of fresh vegetables and choice cuts of meat and fish is more healthy then theirs-- they eat too much hamburger meat and hot dogs.

I have an acquaintance who went into a Carmelite nunnery. Even _they_ have a more interesting and balanced existence than the Maxwells.

I have a brother-in-law who is a Dominican monk. I can speak directly from experience to tell you that monks know how to party. (and eat - he says he gained 25 pounds off the prior's cooking his first year in the order)

Also studies have shown that the smaller the variation in menu, the less food is wasted because it doesn't have time to go bad. At our house we are at the extreme edge of wastefulness because there are so many different condiments and sauces and soft cheeses and spreads that there is always something that we forget about or it goes bad before we get around to it. One thing about making vast pots of beans and freezing them-- there must be very little thrown away.

Still I can't help but think that our diet with a wide variety of fresh vegetables and choice cuts of meat and fish is more healthy then theirs-- they eat too much hamburger meat and hot dogs.

I throw away a lot of food too, unfortunately. I read an article recently that said Americans in general throw away about 40 percent of the food they buy. I thought, "Sounds about right." For us, anyway. Probably not the Maxwells.

It sounds like the kind of pap you would get in an institution

Is it worth the waiting for?

If we live 'til eighty four

All we ever get is gruel!

hEQDllvuy1I

My youngest sister is actually novice in a Benedictine contemplative order. We don't talk much but my mom tells me that my sister has told her that one of the things that surprised her was that the nuns loved to laugh and tell jokes.

True. Not long ago, I read about a fairly young cloistered Roman Catholic nun who got all concerned because the order decided to include some innocuous things that some might call f*n--a couple of hours of TV a week or something.

My son has rarely complained about the food on his different bases. He often comments about the variety - omelet bars, sub sandwich bars, stir fry. My college daughter says the same about "the caf" - waffles, salad bar, sandwiches and wraps, even ice cream! Plus whatever hot meals they have available each day.

So to sum up - a chow hall in the middle of nowhere and a college cafeteria are better than the Maxwell kitchen.

I wonder if they ever have random leftovers. As in, there's one portion of sloppy joes, one portion of taco meat, no bread, but there are some leftover dinner rolls and some ham and a couple of eggs. So you could pull everything out and some people are eating one thing and others are eating something different. That used to happen at my house at least once a week to get rid of food before it goes bad. For some reason I get the impression that they couldn't possibly eat different things at the same time. Nor could Sarah eat some leftover mac & cheese at 10 a.m. (after sleeping in) while Mary makes herself a peanut butter & jelly sandwich.

They do sometimes have leftovers. Joseph's special place in the family is the 'eater of the leftovers'!

Okay, I know this would be really radical; but if they are going to make pizza bread, wouldn't it be neat to buy individual pizza crusts (or nice French bread loaves) and let everybody make their own pizza? We always did that when our kids were home and my husband and I still do it. We love to try different combinations. My current favorite - fresh mushrooms, spinach and creamy tomato sauce.

Steve, just think about it.

Okay, I know this would be really radical; but if they are going to make pizza bread, wouldn't it be neat to buy individual pizza crusts (or nice French bread loaves) and let everybody make their own pizza? We always did that when our kids were home and my husband and I still do it. We love to try different combinations. My current favorite - fresh mushrooms, spinach and creamy tomato sauce.

Steve, just think about it.

We do this too. My kids love French bread pizza. But plain white bread? Sounds blah.

My cooking skills are only a notch or two above my cross stitching skills, but I wouldn't add chili powder to bean burritos. It seems like that would just make them taste like chili beans in a wrap.

True. Not long ago, I read about a fairly young cloistered Roman Catholic nun who got all concerned because the order decided to include some innocuous things that some might call f*n--a couple of hours of TV a week or something.

The woman I know is a bit like that. She joined the Carmelites because all the other orders were too frivolous IHO. Actually, she has some pretty extreme social anxiety and some other issues to boot. She is a true believer in the power of pray so being locked away in a closed convent for the rest of her life was her idea of doing something useful while not having to deal with her problems. I happen to disagree with her choice but it's not my choice, it's hers.

The Maxwell children didn't get to make a choice.

We do this too. My kids love French bread pizza. But plain white bread? Sounds blah.

My cooking skills are only a notch or two above my cross stitching skills, but I wouldn't add chili powder to bean burritos. It seems like that would just make them taste like chili beans in a wrap.

I thought that the Maxwells made their own bread from whole wheat flour. I am not sure if they grind the flour themselves.

I'm late to the party, but in the wedding chapter, there's a Remcak family. Obviously named after the Demcak family of John-Marie fame.

Archived