IGNORED

Summary of Spring Days with the Moodys

Miggy

Since I seem to not be the only one obsessed with the burritos and the Maxwells eating habits, does anyone know what they eat on the other days of the week? I now want the weekly menu. The only thing I remember is the green smoothie. Do they have a menu plan posted?

Ask and you shall receive

By: SarahMaxwell3 on 6/19/2007 9:41:04 PM

Here's what our lunch menu is:

--Monday, Sandwiches

--Tuesday, Soup

--Wednesday, Pizza Bread (Bread toasted, then spread pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese: melt in the oven)

--Thursday, Bean Burritos or Breakfast Burritos

--Friday and Saturday, whatever (sometimes leftovers, Macaroni and Cheese, etc)

Dinner Menu:

We have salad and fruit each dinner.

Sunday--burritos (http://www.titus2.com/maxwells-burrito-recipe.htm)

Wednesday--just salad and fresh tortillas

Saturday--homemade soup and fresh bread

Other evenings are variable

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How sad. Pizza Bread sounds gross. No fish, steak, burgers, kebabs, quesadillas, stuffed peppers, meatloaf, tacos, chicken, Chinese, actual pizza, wraps, lentils, enchilada, spaghetti, pork chops, lamb chops, cheesesteak, bagels, pancakes, French toast, eggs, rice, turkey, chicken, or anything? I'm going to hope that when she says variable, it means they get a meal with a protein and veggies.

The Maxwells are so above us all mortals. This is the warning that they have on their cooking forum.

Please note that your browser probably does not support the technology that this software requires. We would highly suggest upgrading for support of this software, as well as your computer's security

I wonder what they put in their sandwiches and soup. Because on the face of it, the menu seems awfully light on protein. I suppose there could be tofu or seitan mixed in there, but given what their idea of pizza bread is, I kind of doubt it. Eggs, perhaps? It all just sounds so bland and, well, cult-y—certainly enough to keep them alive and even healthy, but fairly flavorless and unsatisfying to most people. Although maybe Steve simply has an oversensitive palate...

It sounds like the kind of pap you would get in an institution like an orphanage or an old folks home. This is one of the things that being a SAHChild would mean-- you never get to explore food options but always eat what is put in front of you just as though you were in a prison. I'm sure that Sarah never has desires for anything else because she has the life beaten out of her but what about Mary? Does she not want to try something else besides sandwiches and salad and soup? What about if it is 95 degrees on Wednesday, do they still have to eat soup? What if they just feel queasy and can't deal with another bean burrito? Are there other options?

I honestly enjoy eating chicken salad for lunch every day with variations but not if it is in the middle of winter and more importantly my husband does not want chicken salad every day for lunch-- he likes fish sandwiches with onion rings. Our individual tastes overlap a bit but more often than not our lunches are different. Thank goodness I don't have to bow down and submit to his choices.

Is pizza bread just a piece of bread with pizza sauce and maybe a few toppings on it?

Is pizza bread just a piece of bread with pizza sauce and maybe a few toppings on it?

If by "topping" you mean cheese. It doesn't say anything about other stuff like meat or veg.

This sounds like a meal I would make myself in middle school, and even then I'd usually have something like frozen french fries to go along with it. For people who say they are all about Womanly Roles, you would think they would be able to make pizza with at least something cheap like onions and garlic.

Okay, I'll admit I eat my own version of Pizza Bread sometimes for lunch. However, I do this because I am single, I am feeling lazy, I love cheese, and I can almost always count on there being leftover tomato sauce in the fridge from something. (It was really good this summer when I subbed the tomato sauce with fresh sliced farm tomatoes)

However, I would not feed this to a group of people. Maybe a picky little kid. Plus I would never schedule it as a regular meal, it's more of a "we don't have any food, just ingredients for food" mood thing. (quote shamelessly taken from a First World Problems meme I saw on Pinterest, lest anyone think I'm calling it my own invention)

Pizza bread sounds like food you'd make for a toddler.

:roll:

Yep. I made it all the time for my kids when they were little; usually on French bread or English muffins, though. I always put a little pepperoni on it and served it with veggies and dip. Kids love to dip things, but I wonder if the Maxwell kids ever got to have fun with their food.

Salad with just tortillas? Am I missing something here? :? I guess it's kind of like a wrap, but why not just say wraps? Or maybe a taco salad? So confused.

No wonder the Maxwells are constantly thinking about death. With a life like the one they've carved out for themselves, death can only be a welcome change. RAVE UP!

Pizza bread is the lazy version of a toasted sandwich. Do the Maxwells need to be lazy? No. I am the one who works full time while they stay at home and I manage!

The cheese is a good start. Forget the sauce unless you make it yourself. It's packed full of salt and generally blah. Use fresh tomatoes. Now cheese and tomato is pretty simple so now add the extras; onion for those who like zing, crushed pineapple or apple for those who like sweet, cucumber, celery or grated carrot for those who like crunch, olives, mushrooms, asparagus, depending on personal taste. MrMiggy likes his with an egg. (This works if you hollow out the bread a bit.) My favourite, although I don't have it too often, is bread + raspberries + feta. Mmmmmm. (Very sweet so be careful and don't toast for too long as you want to warm rather than melt the feta.) Meat is nice too; ham, pork, chicken, lamb, any really.

I guess all this is just far too worldly for Steve. You can't go around enjoying food and making it an idol. Just enough in quantity and quality to keep them drifting along in their beige lives. (I'll continue living my life in a rainbow.)

Yep. I made it all the time for my kids when they were little; usually on French bread or English muffins, though. I always put a little pepperoni on it and served it with veggies and dip. Kids love to dip things, but I wonder if the Maxwell kids ever got to have fun with their food.

French bread or English muffins -- we have done both around here. Would not even consider this on white bread. For some reason, that just grosses me out. My kids also like making pizza grilled cheese -- schmear garlic butter on the bread, add pizza cheese (provel, mozzarella, cheddar or whatever floats your boat), layer turkey pepperoni (less greasy) and grill until everything's nice and melty. Then serve with marinara dipping sauce. My kids get such a kick out of making and eating them.

The more I think about this (and any thought about this is probably too much), it seems as though the Maxwells ARE lazy. They have streamlined their lives to maximize their chosen leisure activity, which is reading the bible over and over. They have dropped all other activities, they are not allowed to excel in anything or put effort into anything other than bible reading and praying. They are allowed to play musical instruments, but not put too much effort in, because developing an interest and passion would be idolatry.

The more I think about this (and any thought about this is probably too much), it seems as though the Maxwells ARE lazy. They have streamlined their lives to maximize their chosen leisure activity, which is reading the bible over and over. They have dropped all other activities, they are not allowed to excel in anything or put effort into anything other than bible reading and praying. They are allowed to play musical instruments, but not put too much effort in, because developing an interest and passion would be idolatry.

Some fundamentalists believe that Heaven is just 24/7 praising God for all eternity. Nothing else. That's it, bowing down and praising God.

I'm going to guess that's what the Maxwell's believe and that's what they try to practice on Earth. As much worship as physically possible while still maintaining life.

I've decided that what the Maxwells live isn't Christianity--it's asceticism. Up at 5 for enforced Bible reading, repetitious chores, dull surroundings, bland food, no friends, no fun: it's all like being a cloistered nun or monk. Except that nuns and monks are allowed more intellectual stimulation.

Pizza bread sounds like food you'd make for a toddler.

:roll:

Well, these are the people who refer to 30 year old women as "children".

Some fundamentalists believe that Heaven is just 24/7 praising God for all eternity. Nothing else. That's it, bowing down and praising God.

I'm going to guess that's what the Maxwell's believe and that's what they try to practice on Earth. As much worship as physically possible while still maintaining life.

See, to me, that sounds so far beyond mind-numbingly boring and tedious, that I can't even think of a word for it. I do know that "Heaven" is NOT the word I'm looking for, though. "Hell" is probably closer.

Well, they did allow Mary to read a Moody book when she was 15.

At least it looks like they eat a bit better on the road. Anna says that they also have salad with lunch and dinner.

Friday

Lunch – Breakfast burritos (eggs, sausage, cheese, spices)

Dinner/late night snack – Smoothies and snacks after conference

Saturday

Lunch – Chick-fil-a (brought in by conference hosts)

Dinner – Shredded Mexican beef (made before we left) in tortillas or on lettuce

Sunday

Bigger breakfast/brunch – Leftover biscuits and gravy from Jesse’s birthday

Dinner – Campfire roasted hotdogs and Maple Oat Cookies (some ate these uncooked and some cooked theirs on foil over the fire)

Monday

Lunch – Leftovers

Dinner – Sloppy Joes and roasted red peppers

Tuesday

Lunch – Sloppy Jo sliders (toasted whole-wheat homemade rolls, topped with leftover Sloppy Jo meat and cheese)

Dinner – Chili with corn chips

Wednesday

Lunch – Cracker Barrel

Dinner – Nobody was very hungry so we had leftovers and smoothies for those who wanted them.

Thursday

Lunch – Tuna burgers (made from canned tuna, spices, egg, mayo, and then cooked) or tuna melts (tuna burger on an open-face, toasted, whole-wheat, homemade roll with melted cheese)

Dinner – Campfire dinner with hot dogs and onion/potato packets (cooked in foil over the fire).

Friday

Lunch – Tacos (cooked ahead and frozen)

Dinner/late night snack – Smoothies and snacks after conference

“… hope in God: for I shall yet praise him

I browsed over to the Maxwell blog because I was curious how many books Sarah has actually written and I'm confused about the titles--there is one called Summer with the Moodys and one called Summer Days with the Moodys? Is that correct?? These are two different books? Why didn't they come up with a new title??

I browsed over to the Maxwell blog because I was curious how many books Sarah has actually written and I'm confused about the titles--there is one called Summer with the Moodys and one called Summer Days with the Moodys? Is that correct?? These are two different books? Why didn't they come up with a new title??

They seem to be going with the same title for each season... so Winter/Spring/Summer/Fall Days, and then there will be another 4 books with the seasons but a new title. Maybe "times" or something. Nothing really "changes" so I don't see them using that word :lol:

Archived