IGNORED

Summary of Spring Days with the Moodys

Miggy

I'm late to the party, but in the wedding chapter, there's a Remcak family. Obviously named after the Demcak family of John-Marie fame.

Wow. Sarah's creativity is even less that I had been giving her credit for....

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm late to the party, but in the wedding chapter, there's a Remcak family. Obviously named after the Demcak family of John-Marie fame.

My God, it's like a roman a clef with almost no roman and even less clef. :shock:

I never made it past page 9 of this thread. I doubt I will ever know what other things the Moodys did during Spring. I imagine that they may have watched beige paint dry but that might have been a bit too exciting and carefree.

My God, it's like a roman a clef with almost no roman and even less clef. :shock:

Thanks for starting my day with a LOL!

Thanks for starting my day with a LOL!

I didn't know that was John-Marie's name. Laughing so hard now. I thought it was an odd choice as I was reading and wondered. Most of Sarah's names are simple: Max, Molly, Mrs Parker, Mr Gibson, so you really notice when an odd name like Remcak is slotted in.

Now, can someone explain where the French "Delome" may have come from? Sarah makes a joke about Mr Gibson pronouncing it incorrectly so it is definitely a European name that those uneducated, worldly people can't pronounce correctly.

It would be sinful to stimulate the taste buds, because that could lead to other forms of stimulation and before you know it Sarah would be trying to sneak off to Walgreens and buy a massager and lots of batteries for it.

She has probably never had an orgasm. Sad.

Google 'Delome' and you get 'the De Lome (with a circumflex on the O) letter. it's a factor in the Spanih American war, in 1898.

It might be a made up name: does any one French here recognise it as French? I don't, not as Guernesiaise, Jersiaise or Aurigniaise.

Maybe it's French Creole?

If only Sarah could get OUT . . . .

Miggy, can you do the other books? I loved your commentary!

Google 'Delome' and you get 'the De Lome (with a circumflex on the O) letter. it's a factor in the Spanih American war, in 1898.

It might be a made up name: does any one French here recognise it as French? I don't, not as Guernesiaise, Jersiaise or Aurigniaise.

French here :) Never heard the name Delome... Delorme is a pretty common name though

I second wanting summaries of the other books! Way to leave us with a cliffhanger ending, Sarah :naughty:

Picked up the book in a second-hand book sale at school and had to share it. I look at the next sale and see if I can find more.

It's a pity they don't sell them as iBooks. I prefer books in the easily-portable-not-dust-collecting version.

Picked up the book in a second-hand book sale at school and had to share it. I look at the next sale and see if I can find more.

It's a pity they don't sell them as iBooks. I prefer books in the easily-portable-not-dust-collecting version.

You can get the first one on Kindle. I clicked the "get a free sample" button, and it somehow made me buy the book instead of just sending a sample, which I've never had happen before. I can't bothered arguing with Amazon over 4.99, so I just left it. It's even more boring and stilted than later books, if that's possible.

He probably did it officially and got dunked.

Perhaps that's what they meant -but I still find it odd to say he got "saved" twice, especially given what I imagine to be the Maxwell's theology.

Chapter 15. Family Times

"Anticipation was in the air ..." Family fun night. Gibsons come over. Mitch is stunned that Mr Gibson eats a pepperoni slice off the pizza before they have sat down or prayed. Everyone prays. Mrs Gibson has brought her own food because she is on a diet. Apparently she is recovering from cancer. Melissa throws peas at Mr Gibson but Mom stops her. Mr Delome comes over unexpectedly and is invited to stay. He complains about the dogs digging up his roses and burns his mouth on pizza. Max, Mollie and Mitch are going to sing at Mr Delome's wedding. More discussion of wedding plans.

Bible time. (Prayer, reading the bible, singing but it takes Sarah 4 pages to describe but it includes teaching the recently saved Mr Gibson how to do it properly.)

Game: Bible Pictionary. It's a wild and exciting game!

"It had been a very special Family Fun Night!"

So he was saved in Chapter 15 (albeit recently), and then gets saved again in Chapter 17?

Chaper 17. Wedding Excitement

Page of Mr Delome speaking. He asks if anyone would like to give their life to Christ.

"Delome, I'm ready to give my life to Jesus." It's Mr Gibson. He's getting saved at a wedding - yay. (This takes a page.)

"Pastor Thompson preached a message based on John 15."

I dos. Rings. Amy Jo plays the piano while Max, Mollie & Mitch sing. Couple sign the register.

Especially as I really wouldn't want anyone to see me reading one. In this house, it would be far more shocking than 50 Shades of Grey!

There is at least one DeLome family in the US. Collin DeLome is a professional baseball player (for the Atlanta Braves).

That said, Sarah probably misspelled "Delorme", a much more common name.

There is at least one DeLome family in the US. Collin DeLome is a professional baseball player (for the Atlanta Braves).

That said, Sarah probably misspelled "Delorme", a much more common name.

Maybe she made it up with her imagination. :lol:

How does it take these people 3 days to make bean burritos? I consider bean burritos to be a quick and easy meal to make. I take a can of refried beans, put them in a saucepan with some sliced onions, peppers and some taco seasoning, warm up some tortillas, and after maybe TEN minutes the filling's done. Wrap it up in a tortilla with cheese, sour cream, sliced avocado and lettuce and you have a 20 minute meal, tops. My kids love it and it's not a week long project for us! :think:

So crazy.There is no reason bean filling should take 3 days. I make my own re-fried beans in the crock-pot and it takes no time at all (5 minutes to prepare, 6 hours to cook while I do other stuff, and another 5 minutes to mash or blend after they are cooked)! These people need to fill up all the empty space in their narrow pathetic lives with busy work.

Maybe she made it up with her imagination. :lol:

It isn't unusual for a writer to use made-up names for their characters. Perhaps Sarah did misspell Delorme and decided to just go with it. Or Delome could be the name of a street or a town or something like that.

In one of their (several) burrito-making posts, there were comments inquiring about cooking overnight and whether it's necessary. Steve was very insistent that the burritos tasted better when the mixture cooked overnight. So perhaps there's an actual reason....

In one of their (several) burrito-making posts, there were comments inquiring about cooking overnight and whether it's necessary. Steve was very insistent that the burritos tasted better when the mixture cooked overnight. So perhaps there's an actual reason...

Stevehovah likes food that tastes like shit.

In one of their (several) burrito-making posts, there were comments inquiring about cooking overnight and whether it's necessary. Steve was very insistent that the burritos tasted better when the mixture cooked overnight. So perhaps there's an actual reason....

There is an actual reason. See, if the food tasted more than 'beige', the Maxhell "children" might start getting ideas. Before you know it, they'll be eating different things for breakfast! They might even put spices in their own servings! This, of course, might lead to the dreaded F*N.

There is an actual reason. See, if the food tasted more than 'beige', the Maxhell "children" might start getting ideas. Before you know it, they'll be eating different things for breakfast! They might even put spices in their own servings! This, of course, might lead to the dreaded F*N.

I always forget that the road to sin and hell starts with cumin and chili powder.

I always forget that the road to sin and hell starts with cumin and chili powder.

I couldn't find the YouTube clip but this makes think of the episode where the Simpsons go to the chili cook off and while going through the crafts, Marge comes across a spice rack and says

“Oh, look at that adorable spice rack! Eight spices? Some must be doubles. Ore-GAH-no? What the hell?â€

I couldn't find the YouTube clip but this makes think of the episode where the Simpsons go to the chili cook off and while going through the crafts, Marge comes across a spice rack and says

“Oh, look at that adorable spice rack! Eight spices? Some must be doubles. Ore-GAH-no? What the hell?â€

Love that episode. We have honorary Greek parents/grandparents. Nonna taught me to cook all her favourite Greek recipes and they all use "the Greek spice". Nonna didn't know it's English name and I couldn't read the Greek on the packet. (She use to buy it in 5kg bags as well as grow it fresh. It is used in literally every recipe!) It was years before I worked out it was Oregano.

Back to Stevie, the beans are puréed to mush and the flavour comes from the chilli not the beans so how would cooking overnight have any effect. Texture = no. Flavour = no. There is nothing left, is there?

*I am willing to be educated if it does make some difference. I have never eaten refried beans so I don't know.

Archived