IGNORED

Noah - Movie - Merge

Mecca

So, just to clear things up for the clueless American.... Kiwi is... Neither fruit nor bird... New Zealander? Why do they call them kiwis?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It means new zealander, and I think particularly a non-maori new zealander. I'm not completely sure but I've been told they're named after the kiwi bird.

Russell's a kiwi, although aussies seem to have adopted him. But the kiwi accent is noticeably different from the aussie accent.

But he wasn't in Lord of the Rings! Obviously not Kiwi enough! :lol:

Close your eyes and listen to his voice. :wink-kitty:

Curiosity : how do you recognize australian accent ? I'm unable to tell the difference between english/american/whatever accent, I would be curious to learn about it.

So, just to clear things up for the clueless American.... Kiwi is... Neither fruit nor bird... New Zealander? Why do they call them kiwis?

a. Kiwi: Small Flightless Bird

b. Kiwi: New Zealander

c. Maori: Native NZer

d. Pakeha: New Zealander of European Descent

KiwiFRUIT: Small brown fuzzy fruit with green flesh...not referred to as a KIWI, as that is a. and b.

:-)

Aussies say Feessh and Cheeeps! and pronounce words like dance, chance differently.

The film has Emma Watson, Anthony Hopkins and blasphemy, so of course I had to see it, and I really enjoyed it. I'm greatly amused that so many fundies went in expecting it to be Sunday school-friendly.

Noah turns into a sociopath and starts threatening to murder people. Later in the film, he winds up drunk and completely naked on a beach. I'm not even kidding!

The drunk and naked part is in the Bible, so I was expecting it. I didn't realize the movie was PG until after, though, so I was disappointed that they only showed naked Noah lying face-down. :(

My coworker is OBSESSED with this movie. He has watched the trailer multiple times per day for the past week. I know the music and dialogue by heart. I have no idea what would possess someone to watch the same movie trailer over and over again.

My coworker is OBSESSED with this movie. He has watched the trailer multiple times per day for the past week. I know the music and dialogue by heart. I have no idea what would possess someone to watch the same movie trailer over and over again.

Well, it does have Russell Crowe in it, and Russ is hot, so.....

Well, it does have Russell Crowe in it, and Russ is hot, so.....

I forgot to mention the coworker in question is fundie-lite.

He once almost got fired because I took a tampon out of my purse and was walking to the bathroom when he stopped me and said "That is disgusting!"

I forgot to mention the coworker in question is fundie-lite.

He once almost got fired because I took a tampon out of my purse and was walking to the bathroom when he stopped me and said "That is disgusting!"

He sounds charming. :ew:

You should encourage him to see the movie. I would love to hear what he had to say after his viewing. :lol:

whocanstandagainst.blogspot.ca/2014/03/noah-not-just-unbiblical-but-anti.html

The worst thing about the Noah movie was how it depicted God - referred to as "The Creator" throughout the film.

When we exchange the truth of God's plan for mankind with the lie of population control we get ugly things like "gendercide". It is only too common in India, China and becoming more common here in North America and was depicted in the film when Noah planned to kill his grandchildren only if they were girls. Having recently known the joy of birthing a baby girl, we cannot imagine the pain which endures in cultures where the knowledge that one is carrying a girl may be the worst thing you could hear - because it means your daughter will be murdered before she's born (or shortly after). Anyone who was disturbed by the film Noah's decision to murder his grandchildren because they are girls, but supports abortion, should question why they support a form of execution which has been the tool of choice in the capital punishment of well over 100 million (The Economist, March 2010) baby girls whose only crime was to be a girl. The term capital punishment is used intentionally, though loosely, because in almost all cases, the state condones the execution. (This also applies to feminists who support abortion - you can't support the abortion of babies but not support the abortion of girl babies - it just doesn't make sense. If you think otherwise, please try to make a coherent argument for it in the comments.)

What's wrong with calling God " the Creator"?, I've never hears of someone having a problem with that.

"The Creator" is PC while "God" isn't?

I just saw the movie last night. I don't know enough about the biblical Noah to know how much the story goes along with the bible.

Regarding his plan to murder his grandchild if it was a girl; That was in the movie, yes, but his reason was he was under the impression the Creator (I kind of liked that term) wanted to wipe out humankind because people were evil. He thought that was why he sent the flood. Noah assumed his job was to save the animals so the world would go back to the garden of Eden before Adam and Eve.

He told his children they would eventually bury their parents, then each other, until no humans were left. He thought that was the Creator's plan.

When he found out his daughter-in-law was pregnant, it threw a monkey wrench into what he thought was the Creator's plans.

He said, if it's a boy, it would die as the last man living one day, but since a girl could bring forth life, a baby girl would have to be killed. Noah thought it was his job to kill any baby girl (who turned out to be twin baby girls).

He ends up falling in love with the babies and does not kill them. In fact, these babies kind of bring him back from madness.

All this to say, the person who wrote the comment that Noah's actions are gendercide is just not accurate.

In fact, at the end he gives his blessing to the baby girls, and passes on a (magical?) snake's skin to them that his father gave to him when he became of age.

I just saw the movie last night. I don't know enough about the biblical Noah to know how much the story goes along with the bible.

Regarding his plan to murder his grandchild if it was a girl; That was in the movie, yes, but his reason was he was under the impression the Creator (I kind of liked that term) wanted to wipe out humankind because people were evil. He thought that was why he sent the flood. Noah assumed his job was to save the animals so the world would go back to the garden of Eden before Adam and Eve.

He told his children they would eventually bury their parents, then each other, until no humans were left. He thought that was the Creator's plan.

When he found out his daughter-in-law was pregnant, it threw a monkey wrench into what he thought was the Creator's plans.

He said, if it's a boy, it would die as the last man living one day, but since a girl could bring forth life, a baby girl would have to be killed. Noah thought it was his job to kill any baby girl (who turned out to be twin baby girls).

He ends up falling in love with the babies and does not kill them. In fact, these babies kind of bring him back from madness.

All this to say, the person who wrote the comment that Noah's actions are gendercide is just not accurate.

In fact, at the end he gives his blessing to the baby girls, and passes on a (magical?) snake's skin to them that his father gave to him when he became of age.

Proving once again that EVERYTHING is about context.

And now brothers and sisters, let us recite the 1,700 year old Creed:

"I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, the Creator of Heaven and Earth, and of all things visible and invisible."

These people are so ignorant of the words and concepts of their own tradition it makes my teeth hurt.

I watched it this weekend as there was nothing else. \\

I thought everyone were robes back then? well anyway they were using iron at least and Jesus was born in the bronze age. they had ferrous metal knives then had nails for the arc metal parts and pieces that they could no way make back then. couple down the shirt shots of noah's wife and and even a bear trap.

My fundie-lite family member had a few words to say about the Noah movie. I won't bore you with her drudgery so here are my favorite points:

She did not like the movie and was very displeased with its portrayal of the biblical story. Coining the term "Rock Creature Transformers" for the "fallen angels" who were so fake and fantasy like, my family member looked at her husband and said "I guess our Bible was missing a few chapters of holy writ." I must give her some credit for her sense of humor.

She then goes into a detailed breakdown of every incorrect action, subplot, family lineage, and spoken line in the movie and where the correct biblical verse is and what the movie should have done. (This was a long post of hers!!). She even goes into the correct birth order of his son's and how "utterly ridiculous" the movie was.

What really had me laughing and thinking of you all here was: "In spite of everything that was totally out of line with the Biblical account, the one thing that surprised me that the producers DIDN’T portray was dinosaurs boarding the ark. I mean if you want real controversy, why not include that (see Job 40:15 – 17 Behemoth / Job 3:8 Leviathan)."

I guess she has been to the creation museum one too many times...

And this family member has two graduate degrees from Purdue. At least they send their kids to public school (for now).

My fundie-lite family member had a few words to say about the Noah movie. I won't bore you with her drudgery so here are my favorite points:

She did not like the movie and was very displeased with its portrayal of the biblical story. Coining the term "Rock Creature Transformers" for the "fallen angels" who were so fake and fantasy like, my family member looked at her husband and said "I guess our Bible was missing a few chapters of holy writ." I must give her some credit for her sense of humor.

She then goes into a detailed breakdown of every incorrect action, subplot, family lineage, and spoken line in the movie and where the correct biblical verse is and what the movie should have done. (This was a long post of hers!!). She even goes into the correct birth order of his son's and how "utterly ridiculous" the movie was.

What really had me laughing and thinking of you all here was: "In spite of everything that was totally out of line with the Biblical account, the one thing that surprised me that the producers DIDN’T portray was dinosaurs boarding the ark. I mean if you want real controversy, why not include that (see Job 40:15 – 17 Behemoth / Job 3:8 Leviathan)."

I guess she has been to the creation museum one too many times...

And this family member has two graduate degrees from Purdue. At least they send their kids to public school (for now).

Aww, I wish they HAD done dinosaurs boarding the ark! That'd have been hilarious. How big would the ark have had to be?! :lol:

I always think that a movie is more enjoyable when I am not heavily invested in the subject matter or plot. For instance, I try to see a movie before I read the book. A lot of people make fun of the movie "Pearl Harbor" and I'm not too sure why but since I am not a WWII historian I really enjoyed it. I seems to me that folks who are heavily involved with the Bible on a daily basis would be hyper-critical.

I always think that a movie is more enjoyable when I am not heavily invested in the subject matter or plot. For instance, I try to see a movie before I read the book. A lot of people make fun of the movie "Pearl Harbor" and I'm not too sure why but since I am not a WWII historian I really enjoyed it. I seems to me that folks who are heavily involved with the Bible on a daily basis would be hyper-critical.

Not necessarily. There are plenty of us out there who read the Bible daily, but we do still retain critical thinking skills, and we understand that a film is......wait for it...a piece of art that is primarily meant as entertainment, and not commentary on scripture. (not snarking at you, snarking at the silly fundies who seem to expect Hollywood to produce films that will garner their stamp of approval) I have many Christian friends, of varying denominations, who feel the same way. We all enjoy movies and enjoy discussing them.

I read the long piece with Darren Aronofsky in the New Yorker several weeks back, and therefore knew what to expect in the movie...i.e. hardly any Biblical resemblance at all.

This is so, so true. It's like lawyers who can't watch law shows on tv, same with doctors; because it is just too unrealistic and all they see are the inaccuracies. I also liked Pearl Harbor as I took it as a love story that just happened to be set against the background of that event. Not a historical filim! When I want real history, I watch documentaries not theatrical films!

Aww, I wish they HAD done dinosaurs boarding the ark! That'd have been hilarious. How big would the ark have had to be?! :lol:

It would have been a hilarious twist if they brought in a T-rex or something like that and the T-rex ate Noah and his family. No one would definitely expect that to happen!

Sorry if that made me sound like a homicidal maniac.

It would have been a hilarious twist if they brought in a T-rex or something like that and the T-rex ate Noah and his family. No one would definitely expect that to happen!

Sorry if that made me sound like a homicidal maniac.

Haha :lol: No, it makes you sound like a normal non-fundie person who enjoys good movies.

Archived